PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2008 NBA Draft

Just wanted to put to rest the myth that Gidden's wingspan/reach is somehow unusual and makes up for his size. Look at the following chart and look at the guys listed at 6'4".

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre...s.php?year=2008&sort2=ASC&draft=0&pos=&sort=2

Both Gidden's wingspan AND standing reach are completely average for a 6'4"-6'5" player in this year's draft. I have no idea where the rumors that he is longer than other players is coming from. Perhaps his vertical leap ability just makes it look that way?

Let's take a look at it.

Giddens is 6'4 3/4 with a 6'11 1/4 wingspan, and a 8'8
reach.

Look at some of the larger players in the draft, and he's comparable to, or better than most of them. It's just to say that at his height he can cover players who might be a few inches taller. Specifically real big guards, and small forwards.

I think you can take a flier on a talented player with some character concerns when you have Pierce, Garnett, and Allen, just won the championship, and are picking with the last selection in the first round. If he turns out to be a dunderhead, you lose very little; if he cashes in on the ability you have yourself a steal. It might be a little early for the Celtics to take a gamble using the "we just won a championship" get-out-of-jail-free card, but they are operating with a limited time frame and the upside seems worth it.

My feelings exactly.

Plus, Ainge has earned enough respect to not have his draft picks overly-criticized until we have them on the floor. Look what he's done with mid to late first rounders, and even second rounders like Powe and Big Baby.

I disagree that this means the end for Tony Allen (seen this sentiment a bit on other boards, too). A healthy Tony Allen has a place on this team - granted, TA has driven me nuts at times with his horrendous ball-handling and poor outside shooting, but his defense and his potential around the hoop are reason enough to keep Tony around.

Last edited:
I won't say TA is gone, but it's a possibility.

I won't say TA is gone, but it's a possibility.

I think he is definitely gone ... remember and watching clips of the old Tony Allen and he is perhaps only 75% of what he once was. Before injury he was quick and shifty. He's still kind if quick but his change of direction is not there as it once was. I was hoping he could improve enough to warrant a trade in the future ... his injury a few months back all but ruined that.

I think he is definitely gone ... remember and watching clips of the old Tony Allen and he is perhaps only 75% of what he once was. Before injury he was quick and shifty. He's still kind if quick but his change of direction is not there as it once was. I was hoping he could improve enough to warrant a trade in the future ... his injury a few months back all but ruined that.

In fairness to him, that stuff usually takes two years to fully return after an ACL.

It is more his basketball IQ or lack there of that makes me think his days in Boston are numbered.

Last edited:
So this year's crop of 6'4" players are just all longer and rangier than from years past? I'll take your word for it then.

Anyways back to the topic of Giddens abilities. I think anyone who has watched the youtube clips can see that the young man has a lot of athleticism and jumping ability. That's a good thing, but let's not get overexcited over that. The Celtics have had Dee Brown and Gerald Green in the past, both slam dunk champions, and both failed to distinguish themselves outside of that limited area.

If Giddens wants to see time on the floor he's going to have to earn it with his DEFENSE first. I think that's why the Celtics took a chance on him. He has the potential to become what we wanted Tony Allen to be, but couldn't, a lock down wing type defender that can also score.

The character issues of course bother me, but I'm not going to say that I don't see the upside potential in this kid. I just happen to think a guy like Chalmers would have been a safer bet and would have given the Celtics a tremendous young PG duo for the future. Chalmers also has the outside shot that Rondo lacks so they would have been very complementary. Well who knows maybe Gabe Pruitt will surprise me. I just hope that we don't look back on this draft in a couple of years and kick ourselves as Chalmers turns himself into a Tony Parker caliber PG.

In fairness to him, that stuff usually takes two years to fully return after an ACL.

It is more his basketball IQ or lack there of that makes me think his days in Boston are numbered.

I think that's fair ... when he was the go to guy when Pierce was hurt he looked good ... when he had to be a piece of the machine he did not look so good. These guys are a dime a dozen ... not good enough to be a PG and not big enough or don't have enough shot to be a SG ... too bad for them because PG is coming back.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back