PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2 Year Rebuild Of The Offense

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
TWO-YEAR REBUILD OF THE OFFENSE

To be clear, more acquisitions will likely happen in free agency and in the draft, especially at LG and WR.
===================================================================
In 2021, the patriots spent more in free agency than anyone in the NFL, certainly two years' worth. Lots and lots of cap was moved forward.

So far this year, the team has focused on re-signing our own. This is not unusual for the patriots in the first two weeks of free agency. In these two weeks, we have pushed cap money forward for McCourty and Brown. More will come with new free agent signings, with restructures, and with extensions.
====================
So far, the rebuild has affected all units.
QB - Jones
RB - Stevenson
WR - Bourne, Agholor
TE - Henry, Smith
OT - Brown
OG - this is a work in progress. Presumably, Onwenu has replaced Mason at RG. We had Karras at LG last year. We need a LG again.

Let's be clear. This is a HUGE rebuild in only two years. Who is left as major contributors from last year? Only Harris, White, Andrews, Wynn and Myers. And we're not done. There will be more acquisitions. Also, there are likely to be extensions.

Some comments:

- We did not retain Jakobi Johnson...and he said he was let go because we are phasing out the FB spot. I found that interesting...and think it means more Jonnu Smith/Dalton Keene in the backfield.

- Resigning White was huge...if he is healthy of course...I thought his injury last year affected Jones...before that, Jones was hitting White on wheel routes where he blew by linebackers. Not to mention White is pretty good on delayed draws...which McD loves and apparently Joe Judge likes them too.

- At TE, I thought Henry did a good job...but felt that we could have used him even more up the seams. I felt that Henry was used more as a safety valve for Jones last year. So I expect Henry to run some more vertical routes this year. And Jonnu needs touches....whether that be at TE or in the backfield...doesn't matter.

- At WR...Meyers will do his thing...no worries there and he has claimed that this is his first time with some continuity at QB in 4 years here. Agholor will be fine, IMO...I expect more of the same...he's a vertical threat...mostly out there as a decoy and ready to make a play when needed. Bourne was great last year and hope it all continues. Then there's Harry....who still can win 50/50 balls...(shrugs). Then we have Tre Nixon another possible vertical threat if he can make the team....I am still holding out hope for Ernie's last draft pick.

- OL....if Wynn and Brown do not miss much time with injuries...I think the OL only took a minor step back at LG with losing Karras. Onwenu in for Mason is a slight downgrade...but could be off-set by Onwenu's improvement and Mason's age decline. Andrews is solid and Herron is a great back up...as is Ferentz. I expect us to add more meat on the line...both in FA (likely starting LG) and the draft (Tackles for the future in case we don't extend Wynn).

- At QB, I am completely happy with Jones after watching Cam in 2020. Sure Jones isn't even a top 5 QB in the conference...but he won't be why we lose or anything...he gets the job done. For the back up...Hoyer is OK from a mentorship standpoint...but I'd like to see a better #2 if Stidham can't actually start a game in a pinch. We had Joshua Dobbs in last week....hmm...

I wonder about all the talk about the issues at LG. So many people have discussed how "bad" Wynn was last year, but HE had a higher PFF rating than Karras. Listen Karras was OK, but no more than that. I suspect that we will be able to get a FA who is just as good as Karras, or perhaps even better. And not to forget the Pats got Thuney with the LAST pick in the 3rd round of the 2016 draft, and Mason at the end of the 4th round in 2015. We shall see how the OL pans out, but I suspect it will be at LEAST OK, if not better.

BTW I suspect it will be helped because we SHOULD see more 2 TE sets this season as well as a very strong running game with Harris and Stevenson.

I wonder about all the talk about the issues at LG. So many people have discussed how "bad" Wynn was last year, but HE had a higher PFF rating than Karras. Listen Karras was OK, but no more than that. I suspect that we will be able to get a FA who is just as good as Karras, or perhaps even better. And not to forget the Pats got Thuney with the LAST pick in the 3rd round of the 2016 draft, and Mason at the end of the 4th round in 2015. We shall see how the OL pans out, but I suspect it will be at LEAST OK, if not better.

BTW I suspect it will be helped because we SHOULD see more 2 TE sets this season as well as a very strong running game with Harris and Stevenson.
I think that Belichick will acquire a LG or two. As you say, he isn't likely to devote a lot of resources. I expect a 3rd or 4th rounder, plus a low-level free agent.

Agreed

- Boy do we need a top receiver to take the pressure off Mac. People complained about "no WR talent" for years, but we had an absolute matchup nightmare in Gronk for so many years...now with Gronk gone we really don't have anyone that warrants extra attention. I love Bourne/Meyers as #2/3 guys in our system, now go get Mac someone to draw doubles and open things up.

- OL makes me nervous. Sorry, but I have zero faith in Wynn staying healthy and that is a huge position to try to replace in season. I do have faith in BB drafting a few to bolster the ranks but LT/RT is a tough position to throw a day 2/3 draft pick into.

- On a positive note, I am very happy with our RB core. Stevenson and Harris make an extremely formidable 1-2 and no need to stress the importance of James White.

Despite all the fretting here, Bill was being smart last year. Cap was constrained last year so all of the deals he signed relative to where the market is going now look pretty affordable. Look at where the WR market is now - yikes. Next couple of years he will have a lot of cap to play with again while many teams will have already loaded up this year. He's playing the tick/tock cadence very well IMO. Have to take a longer view - we have 4 more years of rookie QB deal and will have to evaluate if Mac makes the leap (which would justify big outlays to try to win).

Despite all the fretting here, Bill was being smart last year. Cap was constrained last year so all of the deals he signed relative to where the market is going now look pretty affordable. Look at where the WR market is now - yikes. Next couple of years he will have a lot of cap to play with again while many teams will have already loaded up this year. He's playing the tick/tock cadence very well IMO. Have to take a longer view - we have 4 more years of rookie QB deal and will have to evaluate if Mac makes the leap (which would justify big outlays to try to win).
What good does it do to get bargain UFA prices last year if they do not perform to expectations. Smoth, Godchaux, Agholor had better step up

i think we get bogged down in individual ratings for the offensive linemen ... Its not about how well they play as an individual, but how well they play together as a unit... last year i think the first three games saw three different starting line ups... So Karras may have been ok, like Onwenu was ok... but the combo of wynn-karras > wynn & anyone else they put in the LG spot...

Some comments:

- We did not retain Jakobi Johnson...and he said he was let go because we are phasing out the FB spot. I found that interesting...and think it means more Jonnu Smith/Dalton Keene in the backfield.
BB also tried to add Fournette.

The beauty of no FB is that NE could add a big RB who can not only block, but add so much more in the run/pass game. Like a Fournette. So, you're probably looking for a guy on the right side of 30. Who can stay healthy. Who has the size to block. Good hands with few fumbles.

All that Ive just described points to Fournette, but there might be other options like Jordan Howard Jordan Howard Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Any thoughts on a defensive players the Pats acquired so far? Fox sports stats says Patriots where #1 in 2021 regular season. S.M.H...

Unless they add a #1 and # 2 WR this offense isn’t going to be good enough to get them into the playoffs. The WR corps sucks, 3 #3 WR’s. It’s going to be a long year, with a top 10 draft pick coming next year.

What good does it do to get bargain UFA prices last year if they do not perform to expectations. Smoth, Godchaux, Agholor had better step up
Agholor wasn't as bad as people make him out to be. He was open quite a bit and getting the same separation as he's always got. We just didn't target him enough. All this has been said before but here's something from nextgenstats that confirms it.

You seem like a happy fan that just witnessed their team dominate for two decades with 6 rings to show for it.

I don’t the comments about last years free agency acquisitions under performing very interesting.
Aside from Free Agent signings, our offense had
A rookie QB, the FIFTH chosen among rookies.
Jakobi Meyers, NKeal Harry and absolutely no other receivers or TEs
A LT, RG and no LG,C,RG
A RB and a 3rd down back that would essentially miss the year.

Free agency was the only means to turn that mess into anything

We ended up with the #6 scoring offense
An offense that scored on the 2nd highest % of possessions
10th best in 3rd down conversions
11th best in red zone (and much better after the rookies first few games)
Above average in yards and passing yards
A winning record and a playoff berth

It is ludicrous to look at the team without free agency and then the results and say free agency was a failure. Aside from free agency you have the worst offense in the NFL and a rookie QB. After free agency you had a top 10 or better offense, and one of the most productive ever with a rookie QB.

Anyone paying attention knows that the offense was run in 2021 as a rookie QB offense, keeping constraints on the QB, coaching him to limit risks, keeping him a comfort zone as much as possible. The fact that some pieces of the offense and done aspects of the passing game didn’t click, first, doesn’t take away from the overall results and second, is something that should be a big opportunity for improvement in year 2.

Right now we bring back almost the same offense (onwenu for Mason is not a big downgrade) except for LG, but have added White back if he stays healthy.
The growth of the offense in 2022 will be the growth of the group that far exceeded expectations in the first year. Incorporating the pieces that were left behind a little by the QB maturation plan is clearly the big opportunity.

The cost of free agent WR’s is so out of whack that it gives me some hope that Belichick will look to the draft to address their deficiencies there. I would really like to see him double dip early in this draft for WR talent.

I don’t the comments about last years free agency acquisitions under performing very interesting.
Aside from Free Agent signings, our offense had
A rookie QB, the FIFTH chosen among rookies.
Jakobi Meyers, NKeal Harry and absolutely no other receivers or TEs
A LT, RG and no LG,C,RG
A RB and a 3rd down back that would essentially miss the year.

Free agency was the only means to turn that mess into anything

We ended up with the #6 scoring offense
An offense that scored on the 2nd highest % of possessions
10th best in 3rd down conversions
11th best in red zone (and much better after the rookies first few games)
Above average in yards and passing yards
A winning record and a playoff berth

It is ludicrous to look at the team without free agency and then the results and say free agency was a failure. Aside from free agency you have the worst offense in the NFL and a rookie QB. After free agency you had a top 10 or better offense, and one of the most productive ever with a rookie QB.

Anyone paying attention knows that the offense was run in 2021 as a rookie QB offense, keeping constraints on the QB, coaching him to limit risks, keeping him a comfort zone as much as possible. The fact that some pieces of the offense and done aspects of the passing game didn’t click, first, doesn’t take away from the overall results and second, is something that should be a big opportunity for improvement in year 2.

Right now we bring back almost the same offense (onwenu for Mason is not a big downgrade) except for LG, but have added White back if he stays healthy.
The growth of the offense in 2022 will be the growth of the group that far exceeded expectations in the first year. Incorporating the pieces that were left behind a little by the QB maturation plan is clearly the big opportunity.
This times 100.

Agholor wasn't as bad as people make him out to be. He was open quite a bit and getting the same separation as he's always got. We just didn't target him enough. All this has been said before but here's something from nextgenstats that confirms it.

You seem like a happy fan that just witnessed their team dominate for two decades with 6 rings to show for it.

I assume that this is sarcasm or that you meant UNhappy. Sam Bam is key member of the Patsfans fellowship of the miserable. That crew demonstrates what the disposition of the entire male population would be if BJs were suddenly outlawed.

I have a bad feeling NelsonA will be on the team....

Seem's like no FA wants to sign with Patriots. NOT ATTRACTIVE.

Bills are getting stronger.

Phins as well.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down