SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:NESN

SOURCE:98.5 The Sports Hub

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Frustrating Finish
Saturday night marked a frustrating end to New England's season, which now sets up some big questions heading into the offseason.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

The '01-'05 Pats vs the '13-17 Pats

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by WHPats, Jan 12, 2018.

1. WHPats

WHPats On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +564
    Hey guys

So I was watching some old Patriots games from about 15 years ago, and back then we were a much more stout defensive team that relied on consistent, reliable offense. Lots of very good players on both sides of the ball, but no real superstars with the exception of Brady...who back then wasn't a big stat QB, just found ways to win. The defense had lots of real good tough players with Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Harrison, Law and Milloy.

Today's version of the Pats has superstars on offense in Brady and Gronk, and lots of really good players on offense. Some good players on defense too but not quite at the same level. The Patriots back then used to be one of the toughest defenses in the league, now they play a bend but don't break style that, while effective at keeping points off the board, isn't quite as stingy at preventing yardage.

Is it mostly because of the rule changes in the NFL that it's tougher to play defense now? Because if you look around the league there aren't many real tough defenses anymore...back in the early 2000s it seemed like there were a lot more.

Personally I'd like to see the Pats go back to being a defense-oriented team that has a pretty good offense. As long as we win I guess it doesn't matter, but I miss the days when the defense was THE strength of the team. What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +33,141
    You will need a time machine because the NFL changed the rules so much that nowadays it is more economical to build through offense. That is unless you are a ****hole of a team for a couple of years and can build your defense with blue chippers from the draft. But even then you have a short window of opportunity before all of those players get their second contract (see Seattle last few years, with Houston soon facing a similar issue without all the success).

While I get that people are nostalgic for those first few seasons I really am more impressed by our 13-17 run where the core of the team has been build through drafts that happened in the late 20s or even 30s.

Who cares ? How many AFCE titles ? How many AFCCG in a row ?

3. WHPats

WHPats On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +564

Valid point, I guess it's just greed from my perspective haha

4. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +6,609
    1. We lost several all pro or better players and some experienced a decline shortly after 05, just the nature of the game and its impossible to replace all that talent from the 03-04 defenses which were stacked on paper. Its gotten back to a sb level d in recent years thanks to great coaching but other than in ‘14 the talent doesnt compare to those years. We need a great offense.

2. Brady was a great qb early on, but wasnt goat level... at one point he just became the major strength of the team and you pretty much have to build around that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,423
    The game is different now.

6. Bobsyouruncle

Bobsyouruncle Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8,142
    2001, 2003, 2004- average defensive rank in:
    Points- 3.3
    Yards- 13.3

2014, 2016, 2017 average defensive rank in:
    Points- 4.6
    Yards- 16.6

Year points rank/ yards rank
    2001- 6/7
    2003- 1/9
    2004- 3/3

2014- 8/13
    2016- 1/8
    2017- 5/29

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bobsyouruncle

Bobsyouruncle Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8,142
    I spent like 6 minutes looking this up. I don't do this for free guys, I do it for thumbs ups and wrenches.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1