PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TEs in this draft???

It’s an ok class once you get past the top two. Obviously Hockenson is the next best thing to Gronk but after that there aren’t many who could be a force in the passing game AND give us Gronk level blocking. But there are reasonable options depending on where we draft. Warring certainly provides upside, blocking potential and enough athleticism to be a good receiver. I think he’s got starter upside. But he came late to the sport so I imagine he’s behind in learning the nuances of the game.
Gronk is the goat, compare anyone to him or his blocking & theyll come up short.
Genuinely speaking a good-great class is 4-7 deep. I think you have a few guys that can make an impact right away & a few that could develop into a lot more. I understand you could say that about any class before the draft but I'd say this is in par w 2017 which is pretty good.

Really surprised that no one mentioned Kaden Smith in this thread.

How about pass rusher in the first and then Irv Smith/Jace Sternberger in the 2nd and Drew Sample on early Day 3?

How about pass rusher in the first and then Irv Smith/Jace Sternberger in the 2nd and Drew Sample on early Day 3?

I would like it. The opinions might differ here but in my opinion the NFL draft got to a stage where players are so well prepared to play in the league day 1 that you should always draft year by year players that will help you right away. Unless the value is overwhelmingly great we should draft the players that will help us in 2019 first. If Gronk retires double dipping at TE makes a lot of sense despite the laCosse signing.

Which is why I wouldn't be a huge fan of drafting a safety high.

I would like it. The opinions might differ here but in my opinion the NFL draft got to a stage where players are so well prepared to play in the league day 1 that you should always draft year by year players that will help you right away. Unless the value is overwhelmingly great we should draft the players that will help us in 2019 first. If Gronk retires double dipping at TE makes a lot of sense despite the laCosse signing.

Which is why I wouldn't be a huge fan of drafting a safety high.

I like Hooker later, but I’d be all over Taylor Rapp early. Seems like an ideal long-term Chung replacement.

I like Hooker later, but I’d be all over Taylor Rapp early. Seems like an ideal long-term Chung replacement.

I think people are overrating Rapp because he fits the play style that they want. Yes, he's cerebral. But how good is he actually? I don't see a guy on tape that could translate his range, or lack thereof, to the NFL effectively.

I like Andrew Wingard at safefy.

Jonathan Abram would be a good replacement for Chung. Very tough dude.

Darnell Savage looks like a pretty talented free safety. He's one of those small, super fast, super instinctive guys. Not saying he's at their level, but he's of the type of an Ed Reed or Earl Thomas.

Last edited:
I think people are overrating Rapp because he fits the play style that they want. Yes, he's cerebral. But how good is he actually? I don't see a guy on tape that could translate his range, or lack thereof, to the NFL effectively.

Darnell Savage looks like a pretty talented free safety. He's one of those small, super fast, super instinctive guys. Not saying he's at their level, but he's of the type of an Ed Reed or Earl Thomas.

Cerebral seems like a pretty good qualification to be a Patriot though don't you think? I don't overly like Rapp as a deep safety but seeing him more in the Chung role - closer to the LOS and covering TEs. Perhaps he doesn't have the range to play single high deep safety but I certainly saw someone with the range in run support.

Juan Thornhill is my favorite safety in the draft just because of his route recognition skills, and how his conversion from CB to S mirrors that of Devin McCourty.

The biggest negatives for him was his lack of athletism which he dispelled with his great combine workout.

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Juan Thornhill | NFL.com

Juan Thornhill is my favorite safety in the draft just because of his route recognition skills, and how his conversion from CB to S mirrors that of Devin McCourty.

The biggest negatives for him was his lack of athletism which he dispelled with his great combine workout.

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Juan Thornhill | NFL.com

He had the best production of anyone in the passing game, in terms of passing breakups. When I watched him though, I wasn't super impressed. Seemed a little slow, kind of like you said.

Tape kind of trumps the combine, so if he's slow on tape, I still think he's slow. Now, if he was solidly built, I'd be okay with it because then maybe he can be given a smaller range and stop the run, but he's pretty lean.

I'm pretty mixed on him.

Cerebral seems like a pretty good qualification to be a Patriot though don't you think? I don't overly like Rapp as a deep safety but seeing him more in the Chung role - closer to the LOS and covering TEs. Perhaps he doesn't have the range to play single high deep safety but I certainly saw someone with the range in run support.

Cerebral is important for sure, but like I said, I want cerebral and good. What do you think about Abram for that Chung role?

Also, it's not like we need to replace Chung per se. We just want to put the best 11 on the field, and maybe there's a guy out there who's good but does things in a different way.

His tape was fine, in my opinion, considering this past year was his first year as a full-time safety.

With more progression, I like how his previous CB expericence could allow us more exotic looks in coverage, and size/length matchup to some pass-catching TEs, e.g. Travis Kelce.

Cerebral is important for sure, but like I said, I want cerebral and good. What do you think about Abram for that Chung role?

Also, it's not like we need to replace Chung per se. We just want to put the best 11 on the field, and maybe there's a guy out there who's good but does things in a different way.

1. I think he is cerebral and good.
2. Yet to watch Abram.
3. Not talking about replacing Chung this year, just want someone in place for after this year. The same could apply to McCourty. I think Rapp could do that job too (or Dawson).

Moreau's a project with high upside, very raw...Day 3 guy
I just took him in my mock draft. Isn't just about everyone at TE a project, to be fair? I mean, most of them aren't used much at receiver, and those that are tend to be in spread offenses and not know **** about blocking.

What I loved about Moreau is that he's a beast as a blocker, and his athleticism projects well for receiving. LSU never throws enough to their WRs, let alone their TEs, so maybe it's safe to assume some of his lack of production is not his fault.

This isn't as bad as the guy who doesn't think TJ Hockenson is a player but if you actually watched Rapp you see the talent & skill set.
For all the talk about range I can't remember him being beat deep. I want him closer to the los but the range talk makes little sense considering whats hes put on tape & likely destination at the next level.

Savage Jr is my favorite SS in this draft class, seen him projected anywhere from 2nd to 6th round. Pretty sure he doesn't make it out of the 2nd round.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back