PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TB12 method pays off for Gronkowski this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is how do you drink that much and not spend half of your day going to the bathroom..

I think that, generally speaking, the approach is a good one. Particularly in the case of Gronk, who probably ate all kinds of crap before. And I think Brady is on pretty sound footing with the Guerrero, and just discounts the things he did years ago that were on the stupid/quackery side.

(In most areas, I'm sure they're right, but I still love coke with pizza.)
for 180 pound guy, 90 ounces of water really isn't that hard to do... 7.5 12 ounce glasses a day. I do that no problem, and yes, you do need to pee more often.

You are living my post-Army life. I envy you, good sir.
Nothing to be envious of. Just a working man's life.

Thanks for your service, Nikolai!

I still don't understand the thing about never having a strawberry, though.
I remember an article from 07' ..I'm thinking it was GQ..? He stated that he does not like coffee, same with strawberries. Said he won't even try them.

The problem isn't that it's entirely without merit - a lot of the TB12 method is standard malnutrition and fitness advice, like avoiding processed foods and closely watching what you eat. If Gronk was relying more on physical gifts than superior conditioning, then it's not surprising just following those basics would allow for a huge improvement.

The problem is that where it veers away from the standard, it turns into outright quackery. Some of it is harmless - avoiding tomatoes, for example - but some of it is dangerous, like thinking that special water can prevent concussions.

I think Tom has said that there is also a spiritual aspect to the TB12 method... I'm not really a believer in that stuff and that is clearly where the water starts to get murky.. granted there are tons of studies around placebos working for people, so you cant just dismiss the spiritual stuff outright since medicine and our understanding of things is not 100% yet as far as the human body

People can still benefit greatly from his method and just choose the things from it that work for them and they're comfortable with

I remember an article from 07' ..I'm thinking it was GQ..? He stated that he does not like coffee, same with strawberries. Said he won't even try them.
Yes, he was on EEI earlier this season. When asked, he stated "I have NEVER had coffee"

That amazed me.

I worked in preventative medicine for a short period.
The doctor was a brilliant, well credentialed man who at one point was an emergency room doctor. He got tired of pumping drugs into people that didn't get well.

Drugs are big business and big money.

Drugs often work on symptoms...kinda like in the old days when you cut the wire to the oil warning light instead of adding oil.

We did amazing things.
Many very sick people would come to him when they had exhausted all traditional methods.

My wife had gall stones and the doctor told her there were no drugs to correct the condition. She told her it was only a matter of time before she would have to have it removed.
The gall bladder serves a function in the body...it assists in the emulsification and breakdown of fats. You wouldn't just go and pull tubes off your carburetor (again the auto reference).
I talked her into going to a naturopath. He put her on a restricted diet and they did a gall bladder cleanse. My wife asked him if she should get checked out by the doctor. He said "The stones are gone."
She did indeed see her doctor and got an ultra sound.
The stones are gone.
The doctor wanted to do a gall bladder function test (one last dip into our pockets).
I said, "Were're done."

I am currently doing chelation therapy for hypertension and arterial blockage.
The doctor I see had 45% hard (calcified) blockage in his carotid arteries. He now has none.
We have documented my initial ultrasound and will do a "before and after" later.
I have a biology degree, so maybe that makes me more receptive to alternative methods.

Some people are intimidated by alternative notions of health and health care.
Big Pharma and the AMA is their religion.

Quackery is a convenient catch all.
It wasn't long ago chiropractic and acupuncture were considered quackery.
These are now accepted practices.

Contrary to some popular belief, much of the TB12 and Guerrero stuff has merit. It's not a whole-scale replacement for western medicine and nutrition regimens. Rather, it's intended to supplement conventional approaches, not necessarily supplant them.
It is not good for a lineman who needs bulk and power but good for a position that needs flexibility and stamina. Flexibility and stamina are better heath-wise for everyone than bulk and power

I'm 5'9 and my weight varies between 220 & 230 lbs. My Body fat analysis was 20% at 230lbs when I had it done via the bouyancy submersion method. I drink 4-5 32 oz glasses of water a day.. sometimes more if I've been working outside... At first, yes, i was going often. but since I've been doing this for 5 years now (it's what helped me drop from 266) I've found I don't need to go as often.. Basically, my body adjusted and if I don't get that amount, i feel lethargic..

Love your avatar though; I grew up with Mr. Rogers. It's a shame PBS doesn't rerun his show. Plenty of kids nowadays could use an empowering, positive message from a simple man who addresses them directly.

Counter-point: Mr Rogers' message that you are special just by being you short-circuited motivation and drive to excel. Why try when the world is sure to reward you for the Very Special Person you are.

Pretty decent ProJo article I saw on the Patsfan twitter feed.

TB12 method pays off for Gronkowski this season

I don't know if I could drink that much water.

Why is it that I don't believe Mark Daniels when he claims the Pats tried to get him to stop writing an article about the TB12 Method?

I think all of this has been overblown or sensationalized. BB does not care if you eat brown rice risotto or regular risotto.

This whole thing is so stupid. Scientifically and nutrionally, yes, what Brady says is true, but the story about the Pats asking Guerrero to run his work outside of Gillette has been bastardized into a media story that really isn't a story.

I will say, the Pats players are lucky. I read years ago that players can basically have any meal cooked for them at Gillette, so it's really easy to incorporate this kind of a diet if you're not the one buying/procuring all the ingredients.

...but you are Tom's size and if you are working out at that rate daily you need the hydration. No two ways about it.

I exercise every day but not at your rate. 1/2 hr on the tread/elliptical and hoop on Mondays. I'm 200lbs and I guess I'm around 64oz a day. Some days more/less. I supplement it with beer, wine and scotch :p

Same here.

6'1, 200, and I swim about 3 miles per week, which feels like enough to keep basic tone and not gain weight.

I usually drop about 5 lbs in the summer.

I try to drink a lot of water during the day and always have. Just good habit, really Digestion/hydration, etc.

I also eat what I want, pretty much. If I have a bad meal at one sitting (say, pizza), I'll back end the next meal with no carbs and go veggie/lean meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST