PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TB12 method pays off for Gronkowski this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contrary to some popular belief, much of the TB12 and Guerrero stuff has merit. It's not a whole-scale replacement for western medicine and nutrition regimens. Rather, it's intended to supplement conventional approaches, not necessarily supplant them.

The problem isn't that it's entirely without merit - a lot of the TB12 method is standard nutrition and fitness advice, like avoiding processed foods and closely watching what you eat. If Gronk was relying more on physical gifts than superior conditioning, then it's not surprising just following those basics would allow for a huge improvement.

The problem is that where it veers away from the standard, it turns into outright quackery. Some of it is harmless - avoiding tomatoes, for example - but some of it is dangerous, like thinking that special water can prevent concussions.

Last edited:
but some of it is dangerous, like thinking that special water can prevent concussions.
Fraudulent? Sure. Dangerous? The people playing such sports are already well aware of the risks and no one believes special water prevents it. Is that even a thing anymore or just a past claim related to Guerrero? I don't even recall, I just know it is a frequent talking point.

Last edited:
The problem isn't that it's entirely without merit - a lot of the TB12 method is standard malnutrition and fitness advice, like avoiding processed foods and closely watching what you eat. If Gronk was relying more on physical gifts than superior conditioning, then it's not surprising just following those basics would allow for a huge improvement.

The problem is that where it veers away from the standard, it turns into outright quackery. Some of it is harmless - avoiding tomatoes, for example - but some of it is dangerous, like thinking that special water can prevent concussions.
Nothing outside of the concussion water fiasco seems egregious to me. Avoiding processed foods? What's wrong with that? As for tomatoes & nightshades, it's been an open debate as to whether they should be avoided for causing inflammation.

The problem isn't that it's entirely without merit - a lot of the TB12 method is standard malnutrition and fitness advice, like avoiding processed foods and closely watching what you eat. If Gronk was relying more on physical gifts than superior conditioning, then it's not surprising just following those basics would allow for a huge improvement.

I dont get the special water reference. I thought it was Russ Wilson that claimed the special water he drinks can help with concussions whereas Brady essentially only said that proper hydration in general helps preventing them.

Did it happen differently?

It’s not logical to believe an unsourced claim that the TB12 method advocates something ridiculous.

This style of argument is ubiquitous these days: X is wrong because X says some bizarre statement without any way for a reader to verify that X really said it. 99.9% of the time this style of argumentation is used, the speaker is misquoting or misstating or quoting out of context (otherwise they’d provide a source).

The "special water preventing concussion" thing is largely from Russell Wilson who made such a claim for the water brand he was drinking (he is unsurprisingly an investor in the company). His agent tried to backtrack on that claim, but it quickly got out of control.

Brady did once endorse a drink, "neurosafe" that claimed to be able to help the player "recover faster and fuller" from a concussion, but he, himself made no such claim that drinking water prevents concussion.

The media, being the media, quickly made a mishmash of everything and naturally Brady comes out looking like a quack.

Love your avatar though; I grew up with Mr. Rogers. It's a shame PBS doesn't rerun his show. Plenty of kids nowadays could use an empowering, positive message from a simple man who addresses them directly.

I still don't understand the thing about never having a strawberry, though.

I still don't understand the thing about never having a strawberry, though.
He says he's never had them. Coffee too.

As a food, strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C and antioxidants.

I don't think they are on AGs blacklist.

He's a quirky dude no doubt.

Pretty decent ProJo article I saw on the Patsfan twitter feed.

TB12 method pays off for Gronkowski this season

I don't know if I could drink that much water.
My question is how do you drink that much and not spend half of your day going to the bathroom..

I think that, generally speaking, the approach is a good one. Particularly in the case of Gronk, who probably ate all kinds of crap before. And I think Brady is on pretty sound footing with the Guerrero, and just discounts the things he did years ago that were on the stupid/quackery side.

(In most areas, I'm sure they're right, but I still love coke with pizza.)

My question is how do you drink that much and not spend half of your day going to the bathroom..

I think that, generally speaking, the approach is a good one. Particularly in the case of Gronk, who probably ate all kinds of crap before. And I think Brady is on pretty sound footing with the Guerrero, and just discounts the things he did years ago that were on the stupid/quackery side.

Your body eventually adjusts to an increased consumption of water (bladder, cellular absorption) but AG is nutty with this.

A doctor will say to drink so your pee is clear (at least for chemo patients)

Maybe for a monster like Gronk who sweats a ton he needs to actually drink what he says he does?

IANAD, so I'll give my own experience and research. Drinking that much water sucks in the beginning because the adrenal glands are "dormant", for lack of a better word, and the water more or less passes through you. After a few days, that running to the bathroom bit subsides, and the body reaches an equilibrium. I ate very clean last year and drank about 120-140 ounces of water a day (230lbs and working out 2-3 hours a day). I felt amazing.

Pizza, beer, and whoopie pies...I might be able to live off that for the rest of my life...until I had a heartattack.

Maybe for a monster like Gronk who sweats a ton he needs to actually drink what he says he does?

I'm not Gronk's size, nor do I workout like he does, but I'm 6'4" 230 and work out around 2-3 hours a day. I'd say 120-140 oz is about what I consume a day.

He says he's never had them. Coffee too.

As a food, strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C and antioxidants.

I don't think they are on AGs blacklist.

He's a quirky dude no doubt.

They are good for you as are most berries but strawberries are loaded with cellulose, glucose and fructose

I'm not Gronk's size, nor do I workout like he does, but I'm 6'4" 230 and work out around 2-3 hours a day. I'd say 120-140 oz is about what I consume a day.

...but you are Tom's size and if you are working out at that rate daily you need the hydration. No two ways about it.

I exercise every day but not at your rate. 1/2 hr on the tread/elliptical and hoop on Mondays. I'm 200lbs and I guess I'm around 64oz a day. Some days more/less. I supplement it with beer, wine and scotch :p

...but you are Tom's size and if you are working out at that rate daily you need the hydration. No two ways about it.

I exercise every day but not at your rate. 1/2 hr on the tread/elliptical and hoop on Mondays. I'm 200lbs and I guess I'm around 64oz a day. Some days more/less. I supplement it with beer, wine and scotch :p

You are living my post-Army life. I envy you, good sir.

They are good for you as are most berries but strawberries are loaded with cellulose, glucose and fructose
Agree. Tom does eat blueberries and blackberries.

I suspect he is just disgusted by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back