PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taylor Price to have a huge year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
(Yahoo! Sports) : WR Taylor Price opened a lot of fans' eyes with his 100-yard receiving effort in the preseason opener. The 2010 third-round pick played in just a single game as a rookie, but he had a tremendous start to his second training camp and continued that success on the game field. The effort drew him praise from Bill Parcells, who's now working as an analyst for ESPN. "The guy I noticed the most is Taylor Price, a second-year player drafted last year out of Ohio U. I did a lot of work on this guy myself," Parcells said on NFL Countdown prior to Monday Night Football. "He has good speed, he has real good toughness. He was a little green coming out of school but he's a good cold-weather player. I think you're going to see this guy do a lot of big things for the Patriots."

Anyone else think that Price could have a monster year this year as the go-to deep threat? It doesn't seem to me that anyone else on the team has the speed or hands for long bombs. Price to rock and roll in 2011?

It remains to be seen what he can do in a regular season game, but I for one have high hopes for Price.

Depends on what we mean by 'huge year'.

It will be tough for any single receiver or TE to put up tremendous individual numbers in an offense that shares the ball around.

I also don't see Price as a one dimensional 'deep threat' - I think he's shown glimpses of real YAC ability and decent route running.

I always get a little excited thinking about how opposition defenses are going to cover all of these guys with a guy like Brady running the offense.

I have real high hopes. It would permanently put to an end to my nagging thought about the patriots front office is not very good at selecting WR's.

I don't think Price is a number 1, but he could turn into a very good number 2.

Let's see what Price can do with the starters before we make any predictions. He looked great in the first preseason game, but it was a preseason game vs. a lot of back ups.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and predict he will have a bigger year than last year. ;)

I like the comparison people have been making to Givens. Good fit for this offense. Kind of like a faster and slightly smaller Aaron Hernandez as well.

I actually don't think Taylor Price has that elite speed to be a true deep threat. I, do however think Price has solid speed, great elusiveness and balance, ability to run very good routes, and has spectacular hands.

I don't think anyone on this patriots team is deep threat calibre. We don't have one WR on this team who can run a sub 4.4 40, or has shown flashes of breakaway speed.

Last edited:
I actually don't think Taylor Price has that elite speed to be a true deep threat. I, do however think Price has solid speed, great elusiveness and balance, ability to run very good routes, and has spectacular hands.

I don't think anyone on this patriots team is deep threat calibre. We don't have one WR on this team who can run a sub 4.4 40, or has shown flashes of breakaway speed.

How about umm....Taylor Price??

He's got your 4.4 speed, and is definitely one of the fastest guys on the entire team--certainly the WR core.

I have real high hopes. It would permanently put to an end to my nagging thought about the patriots front office is not very good at selecting WR's.

I don't think Price is a number 1, but he could turn into a very good number 2.

His metrics from the draft, the statement from the Fatman, plus our own eyes, leads me to think he could follow Reggie Wayne's path. Success, but not immediate. He could also follow Anthony Gonzalez's path (injuries). OTOH, (said the one armed lawyer) he could get cut - LOL.

Honestly, I think he has wonderful potential, with Brady, like Wayne had with Manning (and the space provided by Harrison). The statement by the Fatman, a good judge of talent (not FA talent though), puts me firmly in a hopeful mindset that he can be a #1.

How about umm....Taylor Price??

He's got your 4.4 speed, and is definitely one of the fastest guys on the entire team--certainly the WR core.

Taylor Price, in my opinion, can be a very good # 2 WR in the NFL. He has all the tools for it. However, let's be realistic. The top deep threats in the NFL Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson, Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, all either have freakish 4.2 speed, or gifted size combined with speed. Price has neither.

From what I have seen of Price, he has great coordination, solid route running, good speed, very good hands, great athleticism, good vertical, and is physically tough. If he does turn into a # 1, he would be in the mold of a Reggie Wayne. I would love to see it happen, I just think it's a longshot.

Last edited:
I think he needs to play with and against starters before we call him a #1 or #2 receiver. He's played against a peewee team with nothing to play for in the regular season and a handful of preseason games.

We can all be pretty sure he'll see the ball more this year than last, lets see what he does when it counts against true starter talent.

I'm personally excited for him but since we brought in Ochocinco we may never truly get to see what he can do in our offense. I liked the Ocho trade but part of me hates it because I don't think Price will get many chances. That said, I'm all about putting the best guys we have on the field, and if Welker, Ocho, and Branch are those 3 than that is fine. I'd love Price to pass one of them on the depth chart though simply because it means they consider him better than a group of very talented #1/2 receivers.

Last edited:
Taylor Price, in my opinion, can be a very good # 2 WR in the NFL. He has all the tools for it. However, let's be realistic. The top deep threats in the NFL Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson, Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, all either have freakish 4.2 speed, or gifted size combined with speed. Price has neither.

I hate playing the shoulda coulda game with draft picks, but it really hurts to see that name in the context of the many threads here that discuss Brandon Tate as a possible cut. :(

I'm sure someone will point this out before I'm done writing this post, but Price does have 4.40 speed. 4.40 exactly, actually, seeing as that was his combine time. Some Pro Day times were even quicker than that. As a point of reference, that's faster than guys like Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Brandon Lloyd, Jeremy Maclin, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, and basically anybody else of a similar build.

I really like how Price plays the game. You can see his toughness, determination, and speed every time he touches the ball. That being said, there are just too many guys ahead of him. I can't imagine he'd have an impact that would resonate throughout the league. He'll have a better shot once one of Ocho, Welker, or Branch moves on.

From what I have seen of Price, he has great coordination, solid route running, good speed, very good hands, great athleticism, good vertical, and is physically tough. If he does turn into a # 1, he would be in the mold of a Reggie Wayne. I would love to see it happen, I just think it's a longshot.

I agree with your assessment on his skill set, however I am somewhat unsure about all of the above running 4.2's!!! Maybe 4.35's or so, but 4.2's???

Anyway, regardless..Price has enough speed to be a potential nice addition to this team. Just remember the other 3 SB's and our WR "speed" from those years.

I see Price of a nice Branch/Givens combo, with him being closer to Givens than Branch--if that makes any sense? I'm not saying he's instantly on those levels, but with the skillset that we both agree on + some decent speed, he will at least have the opportunity to flourish in this system. Whether or not he makes it is to be determined of course.

Back to the WR1 label---do we really 'need' him to be a WR1? In other words, in THIS specific offense, where we have Welker etc, do we really need someone that is going to be considered a "true" WR1? I'm thinking not. Maybe on other teams, but probably not here.

Even if he's a decent 3 or 4, that'd be just fine.

I hate playing the shoulda coulda game with draft picks, but it really hurts to see that name in the context of the many threads here that discuss Brandon Tate as a possible cut. :(

Tate can run pretty fast. Let's trade him to the Raiders!

I'm sure someone will point this out before I'm done writing this post, but Price does have 4.40 speed. 4.40 exactly, actually, seeing as that was his combine time. Some Pro Day times were even quicker than that. As a point of reference, that's faster than guys like Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Brandon Lloyd, Jeremy Maclin, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, and basically anybody else of a similar build.

I really like how Price plays the game. You can see his toughness, determination, and speed every time he touches the ball. That being said, there are just too many guys ahead of him. I can't imagine he'd have an impact that would resonate throughout the league. He'll have a better shot once one of Ocho, Welker, or Branch moves on.

Good point, and I believe he will replace or better Tate's numbers from last yr, and then move up in the 'rankings' somewhat next yr when Branch is gone.

At any rate, he could be just fine as a WR3 or something to that effect. He could actually make a nice niche in the NFL doing just that.

Good point, and I believe he will replace or better Tate's numbers from last yr, and then move up in the 'rankings' somewhat next yr when Branch is gone.

At any rate, he could be just fine as a WR3 or something to that effect. He could actually make a nice niche in the NFL doing just that.

He won't have Tate's numbers from last year. Tate was a 3 last year for most of the season, neither Price nor Tate will be a 3 this year unless something unexpectedly changes on the Depth Chart.

I have high regard for Price, but Brady is going to get the ball to Welker, Branch, Ochocinco, Hernandez and Gronkowski before he thinks about Price. Price will either have to wait for an injury to another receiver before Brady really works him into the lineup. I do not think he will have that big of a year, but we will see.

Welker and Branch (even Ochocinco) could either, or both, be gone next year. This is a developmental year for Tate and Price (not so much for Edelman), in preparation for next year (and depth). With that said, Ochocinco's slow development and Branch's fragility makes it likely that our #4 will see a lot of playing time.

Price needs to beat out Tate and Edelman. Everything follows that first step.

He won't have Tate's numbers from last year. Tate was a 3 last year for most of the season, neither Price nor Tate will be a 3 this year unless something unexpectedly changes on the Depth Chart.

I don't know. I am thinking he can replicate the 24 receptions of Tate, including a few TD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back