PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking Christian Barmore was a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
patriots-christian-barmore-why-fell-in-nfl-draft. Read this article in SI. Apparently Barmore has some character issues, which scared off other teams. He would have gone in the first round otherwise.

“Alabama barely held him together,” said an NFC scout. “As a pro, he’s a real wild-card.

I asked another scout if he had any specifics, and he said that just general accountability — getting to practice and class — was a struggle for him and Barmore has to be in a very tightly controlled environment, like Alabama has, to succeed. Barmore also was in a very heavy rotation — most players with his talent play upwards of 70 percent of snaps. His playing time just kept dropping to about a 50-50 split. That’s very unusual and sent scouts digging for answers.

“I think he’s going to be a big-time bust,” said one scout, again, before the Patriots picked him.

Then Again, it's not easy to play for BB. He is not like other NFL coaches. I hope he works out, I saw his highlight film and was really impressed.

I applaud BB for swinging for the fences. This guy has a very high ceiling at a critical position.
Of course there is risk or he would have been a top 15 pick. I am sure Pats did their due diligence. BB and Sabies are friends and undoubtedly discussed him.
If Saban did not endorse him he would not have been picked.

If Saban did not endorse him he would not have been picked.

That is the key for me right there. I think the amount of teams that BB would pick people with severe character issues from is down to a handful after the Hernandez debacle. And those will be the ones coached by people he really trusts like Saban, Schiano & co.

Similar to what we did with Hernandez, talented player but character issues were there. To be fair though, a player can have character issues and not murder people
Barmore's reported issues aren't anything like that. The guy was doing massive charitable work over the last year ,at least. I've heard no gang affiliation or running with bad crowds type of talk. What I've read is that he's a really good kid.

The knock is that he wasn't taking coaching very well and needed a very structured environment. His agent would probably be a lot more worried if he wound up somewhere like LV or Cinci.

Yeah because Saban has NEVER given bad advice to Belichick on who to pick...

patriots-christian-barmore-why-fell-in-nfl-draft. Read this article in SI. Apparently Barmore has some character issues, which scared off other teams. He would have gone in the first round otherwise.

“Alabama barely held him together,” said an NFC scout. “As a pro, he’s a real wild-card.

I asked another scout if he had any specifics, and he said that just general accountability — getting to practice and class — was a struggle for him and Barmore has to be in a very tightly controlled environment, like Alabama has, to succeed. Barmore also was in a very heavy rotation — most players with his talent play upwards of 70 percent of snaps. His playing time just kept dropping to about a 50-50 split. That’s very unusual and sent scouts digging for answers.

“I think he’s going to be a big-time bust,” said one scout, again, before the Patriots picked him.

Then Again, it's not easy to play for BB. He is not like other NFL coaches. I hope he works out, I saw his highlight film and was really impressed.
So it took you 3 days to come to this "shocking" conclusion. :eek: This post reminds me of when in the classic Cassablanca. Capt Reneau walks into Ricks and says, "I'm shocked to find out that Gambling is going on in this establishment" and then a waiter comes up to him and hands him his winnings.

Everyone here knew that Barmore was a gamble since the discussion of draft picks was started. He was the best DT in a very weak DT class and was also an area of need for the Pats.

Years ago BB confided to someone that he looked at round 2 as a place to swing for the fences. A place to find a great physical talent who for some reason (injuries character, etc) drops into the 2nd round and you take a chance on him. You sometimes get Gronk and you sometimes get Jordan Richards.j Barmore is a classic BB 2nd round hit or miss.

Barmore is a gamble (like every rookie) who could provde a Seymour/Suh/Haynesworth type payoff... no rookie is a sure thing.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

So it took you 3 days to come to this "shocking" conclusion. :eek: This post reminds me of when in the classic Cassablanca. Capt Reneau walks into Ricks and says, "I'm shocked to find out that Gambling is going on in this establishment" and then a waiter comes up to him and hands him his winnings.

Everyone here knew that Barmore was a gamble since the discussion of draft picks was started. He was the best DT in a very weak DT class and was also an area of need for the Pats.

Years ago BB confided to someone that he looked at round 2 as a place to swing for the fences. A place to find a great physical talent who for some reason (injuries character, etc) drops into the 2nd round and you take a chance on him. You sometimes get Gronk and you sometimes get Jordan Richards.j Barmore is a classic BB 2nd round hit or miss.
Would you really call Richards a "swing for the fences"? The arguments for taking him at the time were centered around an expectation of steady play despite very little upside.

He's gonna be a stud for us. He's 21, grew up in Philly, played 2 full seasons at Alabama. He could see the field in week 1.

Barmore also was in a very heavy rotation — most players with his talent play upwards of 70 percent of snaps. His playing time just kept dropping to about a 50-50 split. That’s very unusual and sent scouts digging for answers.
this does not worry me for the Pats. First, Bama is good enough to rotate defensive players whatever the talent level. Also, the Pats rotate their D-Line a lot especially on passing downs. Barmore has skills on passing downs the other interior D-Lineman on the Pats do not. If he can be effective on obvious passing downs, especially as a rookie, then this is a great 2nd round pick regardless of whether he is on the field on other downs.

Would you really call Richards a "swing for the fences"? The arguments for taking him at the time were centered around an expectation of steady play despite very little upside.
Yeah, Richards was the exact opposite of that type of player. A guy that fit the mold was Ras-I Dowling who appeared to have all the tools and size to succeed as a press corner in the NFL, but couldn’t stay healthy in college.

Barmore is a gamble (like every rookie) who could provde a Seymour/Suh/Haynesworth type payoff... no rookie is a sure thing.
Haynesworth in TN- absolutely

Haynesworth in WAS or here- No!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing