PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking Christian Barmore was a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must admit I am quite excited to see him on the team and hope he plays straight away.

It's funny how much negativity people have thrown out about Barmore based on a couple articles. It's funny that no one mentioned POSITIVE articles.
It's the same attitude, often the same folks, who snort at Judon because "look what happened the last time we took an FA from Baltimore: (meaning Thomas and forgetting a guy named Guy).

It's the same attitude, often the same folks, who snort at Judon because "look what happened the last time we took an FA from Baltimore: (meaning Thomas and forgetting a guy named Guy).

aren’t there other examples or other teams signing Baltimore pass rushers that turned out bad?

It's funny how much negativity people have thrown out about Barmore based on a couple articles. It's funny that no one mentioned POSITIVE articles.

"The hulking defensive tackle was naturally athletic, eager to learn, driven for success and energetic enough in practice that he’d run around with the skill players or jump on the field to catch punts. Frequently working one-on-one with Holmes, Barmore would hit the blocking sled hundreds of times per day to fine-tune his techniques."

“That locker room culture helps develop a guy like Christian who comes in a little rough around the edges, maybe not as disciplined, not always doing things as right as they need to be,” Locksley said. “The locker room fixes a lot of those issues at a place like Alabama. It obviously paid off big dividends for him with the success he’s had.”

"“I can remember him being on the scout team that year for us and just being a pain in the ass,” Locksley said. “I can tell you he was a pain in the butt. Every week, he was the scout team player of the week. He won it quite a bit. He had a motor. He gave a great look. He always went hard. There was no half speed on him, and it kind of pissed off some of the veteran (offensive) linemen because they were used to going against the scout team to work on their technique and fundamentals, but he’d make them look bad if they didn’t go full speed. He did a great job of getting that 2018 group ready for games because of how he practiced.”"

“He always played with that edge of aggression that you want to play with up front to control the line of scrimmage,” Locksley said. “To see his ability as an interior pass rusher, the tackles for loss and the sacks, I wasn’t surprised with the way he practiced on the scout team. It was good to see his development and how fast he came along.”

So, while Barmore was immature early on, the Alabama locker-room culture got him straightened out to the point he was a leader for them.
Also, people have knocked Barmore's "run stopping ability". Yet the kid put up 6 TFLs in 2019 and another 9.5TFL in 2020.

Barmore turns 22 the day that TC starts. He's raw in that he's only got 4 years of Football behind him.1 of HS, 1 Red Shirt, and 2 playing. That being said, it's clear that he's extremely coachable AND he WANTS to succeed. The article that the OP mentioned seems more like a pre-draft hit piece to cause Barmore's stock to go down so a team could get a steal of a player.

I don't think that Barmore is a gamble any more than any other draft pick not named Barkley, Manning, or McCaffery.

I'm getting Rodney vibes from the whole "always going hard, even in practice"

I've never said that.

“Taking Christian Barmore was a gamble”.

I can’t remember the last draft pick that was guaranteed to be good.

The gamble was taking injury prone, non athletic guys where character was been valued way too much, which has been a trend for several years. I’d rather have them take chances with highly rated players from big-name schools any day of the week over some of the random players they have selected in recent years.

The Pats have passed the torch to the Raiders taking weird players. They continue to have pathetic drafts.

draft pick... not sure thing.. shock report.

The gamble was taking injury prone, non athletic guys where character was been valued way too much, which has been a trend for several years. I’d rather have them take chances with highly rated players from big-name schools any day of the week over some of the random players they have selected in recent years.

The Pats have passed the torch to the Raiders taking weird players. They continue to have pathetic drafts.
And Gruden hasn't had a winning season yet. Him and Mike haven't exactly been killing it.
Screenshot_2021-06-05-18-46-09~2.png

And Gruden hasn't had a winning season yet. Him and Mike haven't exactly been killing it.
View attachment 33268

I think Gruden would make a good role in an FO. His handling of shedding weight and accruing capital by way of handling the Mack trade was really, really well handled. He fetched everything and then some. He has a decent handling of fetching value for trades.

As far as his coaching, maybe it's slightly outdated or something. I dunno. I've not watched the Raiders much to know what their issues are. But he certainly hasn't done any better than that one decent season Carr had before he came into the fold.

View attachment 33268
Aside from Josh Jacobs, their 1st and 2nd picks each year have been atrocious. I don’t see them there much longer. And their 1st rounder this year was another laughable pick.
I think Gruden would make a good role in an FO. His handling of shedding weight and accruing capital by way of handling the Mack trade was really, really well handled. He fetched everything and then some. He has a decent handling of fetching value for trades.

As far as his coaching, maybe it's slightly outdated or something. I dunno. I've not watched the Raiders much to know what their issues are. But he certainly hasn't done any better than that one decent season Carr had before he came into the fold.
Gruden is a terrible talent evaluator. He took a K in the first round with his first stint with the Raiders. A f***ing K (John Wick reference). He let both the Raiders and Bucs talent erode during his tenure. He made everyone in the building go home early before the draft because he didn’t want their 2019 first round pick get leaked. They took Clelin Ferrell which has been a disaster of a draft pick.

Too many GM’s run their teams like they are playing Madden thinking it’s simple to replace elite players. Raiders got a nice haul on paper for Mack, but it is highly unlikely you are going to draft a player similar to his caliber.

Last edited:
Aside from Josh Jacobs, their 1st and 2nd picks each year have been atrocious. I don’t see them there much longer. And their 1st rounder this year was another laughable pick.

Gruden is a terrible talent evaluator. He took a K in the first round with his first stint with the Raiders. A f***ing K (John Wick reference). He let both the Raiders and Bucs talent erode during his tenure. He made everyone in the building go home early before the draft because he didn’t want their first pick get leaked. They took Clelin Ferrell which has been a disaster of a draft pick.

Too many GM’s run their teams like they are playing Madden thinking it’s simple to replace elite players. Raiders got a nice haul on paper for Mack, but it is highly unlikely you are going to draft a player similar to his caliber.

You're right: they did not replace his talent at all. But he fetched all the appropriate capital to do so, and then some. He definitely did not utilize it lol. And LMAO I did not know he took a K in the first round.

I think he's a guy you'd want working trades and getting value. Leave the role of spending that value to someone else, though.

You're right: they did not replace his talent at all. But he fetched all the appropriate capital to do so, and then some. He definitely did not utilize it lol. And LMAO I did not know he took a K in the first round.

I think he's a guy you'd want working trades and getting value. Leave the role of spending that value to someone else, though.
Gruden was very arrogant his first stint with the Raiders. In fact, I remember the Raiders having K issues and he thought this was the missing piece for a title, so he used the 17th overall pick in the 2000 draft to take Sebastian Janikowski.

Edit, someone already mentioned Janikowski.

Barmore has some more questions than a "clean", or "average clean" draft candidate would. We're allowed to accept that rather than insisting the entire world is lying. If he answers the questions in a positive manner, that's great. If he doesn't, nobody should be surprised.

During barmore’s red shirt sophomore season, he was only used on about 50 percent of the defensive snaps for Alabama.

I know he had a lingering knee issue early, but that seems pretty low!

Unless there were other injuries, there may be more to this story.

I applaud BB for swinging for the fences. This guy has a very high ceiling at a critical position.
Of course there is risk or he would have been a top 15 pick. I am sure Pats did their due diligence. BB and Sabies are friends and undoubtedly discussed him.
If Saban did not endorse him he would not have been picked.
Wasn’t this highlighted by reports as a major reason drafting has been poor. BB relying on his personal network and connections and ignoring his own personnel department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes