PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise Preseason Personnel Move ... Who's Yours?

Bold move.

1. Cap goes from $142k to $359k
2. Signed 3 rookies that were always going to be signed.
3. Still at 87 players. Still 3 short of 90. Still no $ for new players.

Nothing changed.

Bold move.

Nothing changed.
Why is the cap more than doubling?

What's the rush to clear up money?

Malcolm Butler gets cut.

Bold move.

Nothing changed.
This analysis backwards, as is often the case.

First comes the need for the $. If Belichick needs cap money after signing a player, some one or two will have their contracts restructured, with no change in compensation to the player (other than receiving much of his 2022 compensation early).

But, I do agree. Nothing has changed. Belichick is still able to do anything he wants, without being hampered by the cap.

This analysis backwards, as is often the case.

First comes the need for the $. If Belichick needs cap money after signing a player, some one or two will have their contracts restructured, with no change in compensation to the player (other than receiving much of his 2022 compensation early).

But, I do agree. Nothing has changed. Belichick is still able to do anything he wants, without being hampered by the cap.
How is this analysis backwards when there's already need for the money.

Miguel projects Pats will need $10.8M to operate. So even if they don't sign any new players (that would affect the cap), they need the money.

How is this analysis backwards when there's already need for the money.

Miguel projects Pats will need $10.8M to operate. So even if they don't sign any new players (that would affect the cap), they need the money.

OK, there is no need on June 25th. Does that make it easier for you?

The $10M is equal to restructuring Judon and Henry and giving them almost all their 2022 early. So, yes, Belichick does need to make a couple of cap moves IN AUGUST.
==================
There is ZERO, repeat ZERO need to do anything else unless Belichick wants to make further roster additions or trades.

And to repeat yet again, these restructures have ZERO effect on the compensation of the players, now or in the future.

Patriots trade Mac Jones for three first round picks and start the Bailey Zappe era. :cool:

(no way this happens but imagine the thought lol. Oh god I can actually kind of see Bill doing it, now I wish I hadn't said it)

OK, there is no need on June 25th. Does that make it easier for you?

The $10M is equal to restructuring Judon and Henry and giving them almost all their 2022 early. So, yes, Belichick does need to make a couple of cap moves IN AUGUST.
==================
There is ZERO, repeat ZERO need to do anything else unless Belichick wants to make further roster additions or trades.

And to repeat yet again, these restructures have ZERO effect on the compensation of the players, now or in the future.
See below. Judon's entire 2022 salary is also fully guaranteed, so all you're doing is pushing cap savings into 2023. Judon's 2023 cap # would be $21.5M
Not sure what you mean. Henry's salary is already guaranteed. If you turn their salaries to bonuses, the only way to get cap relief is for the bonus to be prorated to future years. In doing so, you push 2022 $ into 2023 and eat at that cap.

In Henry's case, if you turn $8M of his salary to a bonus, $4M of it would go to 2023. His cap hit would then go from $15M to $11M in 2022 and from $15.5M to $19.5M in 2023. His dead money would go from $5M to $9M in 2023.

Sure, his compensation doesn't change, but his cap # balloons to almost $20M.

That's what I believe they're trying to avoid, so imo, they'll seek addt'l cap savings via trades and cuts. That's all I'm saying.

See below. Judon's entire 2022 salary is also fully guaranteed, so all you're doing is pushing cap savings into 2023. Judon's 2023 cap # would be $21.5M
Yes, the idea is to move some of 2022 cap into 2023. That is what restructuring does.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back