PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise cut thread

I would offer Devin McCourty except he probably has some iron clad contract to make it impossible. My next offer would be Deatrich Wise. Same contract issue as McCourty, Time to move on from both.

So you want to move on from McCourty, one of their only remaining veteran leaders on defense, who had a very good year last year (excluding the Houston game) and who has a very reasonable 2022 cap number? Oy vey. Bill is not giving him such a light workload so far in training camp because he plans to cut him. Quite the opposite, actually.

I really do not see the point of this thread during the first week of August, but I couldn’t let such a dumb idea slide.

It would be foolish to cut "one of the best D-lineman in the NFL".

Not as foolish as it would be to accept the Captain’s and your opinions of him as a player over BB and his DL coach…..you know, the guys break down the all-22 film from every play of every game and who know every player’s responsibilities for all of the defensive snaps.

The short bus is waiting for you. Run along, now.

Not as foolish as it would be to accept the Captain’s and your opinions of him as a player over BB and his DL coach…..you know, the guys break down the all-22 film from every play of every game and who know every player’s responsibilities for all of the defensive snaps.

Then why wasn't he paid as such? Come on now, come back with something better than that.

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

From today’s practice report:

Patriots ball-carriers repeatedly were stuffed at the line, with New England’s defensive linemen often overwhelming their offensive counterparts.

Davon Godchaux, who signed a two-year contract extension earlier in camp, was especially disruptive, snuffing out two handoffs to Ty Montgomery.

From today’s practice report:

Godchaux was a menace for the offense in the 11-on-11 period toward the end of the workout. He helped stuff a couple of runs and then pressured Mac Jones into a scramble up the gut. He also appeared to get the best of David Andrews in their one-on-one rep

And yet all the love for Amendola, who in his very best years (including St Louis when he had 85 catches), never got close to having as good a year as Meyers did last season.
Playoff heroics are never forgotten

Until then, you need more than 2 touchdowns over 3 seasons to set a lasting impression

Oops, I guess he isn’t “DogChow” anymore.

Way too early, but DL looking fine and deep so far.

Oops, I guess he isn’t “DogChow” anymore.

Way too early, but DL looking fine and deep so far.
Interesting isn't it? Seems like perhaps Belichick paid him based on expected future production and not past production... a lot of very positive reports about Godchaux coming out of camp so far, and even more about Barmore. If they can get a good and consistent pass rush in the middle and on the edge then that'll really help make up for the lack of a #1 corner (although it sounds like the corner situation is also not as bad as expected, but still, there's no true #1 guy you can put on an island)

There are no surprise cuts happening this year. Nothing would make sense right now.

The other scenario though is "surprise trade candidate", which looks more likely. There are several veterans that could be traded for one reason ($$$) or another (rookies too good to cut). I see the two reasons combined as the most likely to happen instead of any surprise cuts.

So you want to move on from McCourty, one of their only remaining veteran leaders on defense, who had a very good year last year (excluding the Houston game) and who has a very reasonable 2022 cap number? Oy vey. Bill is not giving him such a light workload so far in training camp because he plans to cut him. Quite the opposite, actually.

I really do not see the point of this thread during the first week of August, but I couldn’t let such a dumb idea slide.
It may be dumb but I've never thought he was a good as everyone, including BB, thinks. He always seems a step late. It seems like there are many other veterans in the safety position, allegedly one of the stronger positions that be leaders. Phillips, Dugger, Peppers. IMHO he will end up as the most overrated player in the Pats HOF.

It may be dumb but I've never thought he was a good as everyone, including BB, thinks. He always seems a step late. It seems like there are many other veterans in the safety position, allegedly one of the stronger positions that be leaders. Phillips, Dugger, Peppers. IMHO he will end up as the most overrated player in the Pats HOF.
There are players who have their numbers retired by the Pats that don't deserve it. McCourty won't be the most overrated guy in the Pats HOF so long as those guys are there.

There are players who have their numbers retired by the Pats that don't deserve it. McCourty won't be the most overrated guy in the Pats HOF so long as those guys are there.
For example?

Agholor and Meyers have trade value, especially if/when some WR's on other teams get injured in preseason games... they won't get cut, they'll get traded... and only if Thornton, Nixon and Wilkerson make them redundant.

I said Malcolm Butler a month or so ago, I'll stick with that.
Meyers have Trade value Agholor don't nobody is going to give him the money we are on the hook for in 2022. That said I can see some Team pitching for Meyers based on his cap friendly contract.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back