PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Superbowl.com Experts Rank Top Ten Superbowl's of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did play in some pretty close ones, but I expect one of the SF/Cincy ones to be in the top 3 (I'd think the 2nd one because of the comeback). SB 13? Pitt/Dallas has to be up there as well.

Na_polian said:
Was that what also got the Pats flagged for "Unnatural Acts" during this season? A Bad Willie Holding? :p

I know the intention of your post, but to be historically accurate, in the 1st quarter of the first Bills game this year:

“Delay of Game: Defense: Performing an unnatural act not common to the game in an attempt to get the offense to false start: 5 yard penalty that results in a 1st down.†Just before the snap, Vrabel made a lunge forward from actually a DT position (Colvin was a DE next to him) almost like biting on a hard count. However, he got back to a stopped position before the snap, so I’ll leave this interpretation up to the folks at home.

You know what I find interesting about that whole Top 10 SBs of all time list. The fact that after SB 36, I can remember distinctly it being called the best SB of all time because it was considered the biggest upset. Then, I can remember SB 38 also being called the greatest of all time because it was so close in scoring at the end of the game.

So, if both of those don't make the list, does that mean that 38 knocked 36 off the list?

Super Bowl 36 should be number 1 for many reasons but i think they will vote SB 23 because of the way Montana won it with a touchdown.

Seymour93 said:
Pittsburgh 35, Dallas 31

Jan. 21, 1979

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9183194

Is this the one that Jackie Harris (I think that's his name), TE for the Cowboys was wide open inthe end zone and the ball clanked off his shoulders pads and he couldn't make the reception. And if IIRC the Cowboys didn't score on that drive.

Last edited:
FoxSports rates Super Bowl XXXVI as the best. They also rank us as the second biggest upset behind the Jets beating the Colts in SB III, we also get listed as the 4th worst blowout. For your reading pleasure:

Best games:
1) SB XXXVI: Patriots 20, Rams 17
2) SB XXV: Giants 20, Bills 19
3) SB XXXIV: Rams 23, Titans 16
4) SB XXXII: Broncos 31, Packers 24
5) (tie) SB XXIII: 49ers 20, Bengals 16
(tie) SB XXXVIII: Patriots 32, Panthers 29

Best upsets:
1) SB III: Jets 16, Colts 7
2) SB XXXVI: Patriots 20, Rams 17
3) SB XXXII: Broncos 31, Packers 24
4) SB IV: Chiefs 23, Vikings 7
5) SB XVIII: Raiders 38, Redskins 9

Greatest Super Bowl blowouts:
1) SBXXIV: 49ers 55, Broncos 10
2) SB XXVII: Cowboys 52, Bills 17
3) SB XXIX: 49ers 49, Chargers 26
4) SB XX: Bears 46, Patriots 10
5) SB XXXVII: Buccaneers 48, Raiders 21

Willie55 said:
Is this the one that Jackie Harris (I think that's his name), TE for the Cowboys was wide open inthe end zone and the ball clanked off his shoulders pads and he couldn't make the reception. And if IIRC the Cowboys didn't score on that drive.

It was Jackie Smith. I may be wrong, but that 35 - 31 SB win by Pittsburgh wasn't as close as the score implies. I think Dallas scored late, maybe twice to make it close. 1 - 2 have to be SB 23 (Montana to Taylor) and SB 36, not necessarily in that order. 36 was a better played, more exciting game. If it were not for that great Montana last minute drive, 23 was actually kind of dull. Living in the Bay Area through the 49er dynasty had me enjoying all the 49er super bowls. Had to adopt them as a "second team" because of Montana and Walsh. Fortunately for me, it never came to a 49er - Patriots super bowl.

Well #2 is in and I guess you can't complain when you've won 3 and had 2 of them rated among the top 6 of all time:

2. Super Bowl XXXVI: New England 20, St. Louis 17:
Adam Vinatieri's 48-yard field goal as time expired gave the New England Patriots their first Super Bowl title. The Rams outgained the Patriots 427-267 in total yards, but the Patriots forced three turnovers, which resulted in 17 points, while committing no turnovers.
MVP: Tom Brady, QB, New England

XXXVI will alway be my favorite, except or course for the next one.....:D

I wish they had chosen someone other than Schefter to recall XXXVI. Yes, it was the first Superbowl after 911, and yes it was held in a venue that years later came to symbolize the devastation of Katrina, but they actually played a game that was good enough to be ranked one of the best ever. It would have been OK to give that at least equal time amongst his anguished ramblings.

No. 2: Patriots prevail on unforgettable day

By Adam Schefter
Special to SuperBowl.com

(Jan. 26, 2006) -- In the first post-9/11 Super Bowl, Super Bowl XXXVI in New Orleans, chain-link fences replaced pomp and pageantry. Chain-link fences were everywhere.

They surrounded the parking structures around the Superdome. They surrounded every entrance into the Superdome. On the way into the Superdome, every fan, every reporter, had to walk through the maze of them.

Chain-link fences. Everywhere.

Security measures did not stop there. Concrete barriers were erected near the Superdome and near the chain-link fences. There were as many concrete barriers as uniformed policemen.

Back then, the site of concrete barriers was rare; now it is commonplace. We see them at airports, or in front of temples, or near the sites that somebody thinks would be terrorist targets. Around the Superdome, there were a slew of them.

Concrete barriers. Everywhere.

This was one of the first glimpses of a major sporting event -- the most major sports event there is -- in the post-9/11 world. The world had changed, and so had the Super Bowl.

Everything about one of the finest Super Bowls ever played -- New England 20, St. Louis 17 -- was somber, other than the game itself.

A giant flag, the biggest flag anyone had ever seen, was unfurled in the shape of the United States on the field before the opening kickoff.

Paul McCartney sang Freedom, in only the way he could. Mariah Carey performed the national anthem, in only the way she could. While she sang, the lights in the Superdome were turned down and fans in the Superdome held red, white and blue glow sticks.

This was a tribute to our country, the strength and resiliency of it. But really, to me, it was more a tribute to the dead...."

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9188803

Willie55 said:

Jackie Smith sucks big time. The dude didn't catch a pass all year long and when he is WIDE OPEN for a touchdown in the biggest game of his life, he drops it.

MoLewisrocks said:
http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9188803

I wish they had chosen someone other than Schefter to recall XXXVI. Yes, it was the first Superbowl after 911, and yes it was held in a venue that years later came to symbolize the devastation of Katrina, but they actually played a game that was good enough to be ranked one of the best ever. It would have been OK to give that at least equal time amongst his anguished ramblings.

:ditto:

His whole freakin' column is about 9/11 and its aftermath. Sure, it was on people's minds, but it plays a very minor role in why XXXVI is one of the two greatest Superbowls of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes