PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Superbowl.com Experts Rank Top Ten Superbowl's of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
XXXVIII is already in at #5. 1 thru 4 will be revealed over the rest of this week. I can't imagine we don't get 2 in the Top Ten because XXXVI was arguably the greatest of them all. :D

"(Jan. 23, 2006) -- To celebrate the NFL's Road to Forty, we asked 11 NFL.com and NFL Network analysts to sit down and select the Top Ten Super Bowls of all-time. The panel was made up of Gil Brandt, Vic Carucci, Cris Collinsworth, Terrell Davis, Rich Eisen, Boomer Esiason, Lincoln Kennedy, Pat Kirwan, Adam Schefter, Shannon Sharpe and Phil Simms.

Each analyst came up with his own list of 10. First place was assigned 10 points, second place received nine points, third place got eight points and so forth down to one point for 10th place.

The total points were then tabulated. Without further ado, we give you the Top Ten Super Bowls of all-time. The Super Bowls ranked Nos. 5-10 are listed below with the rest of the rankings to be unveiled throughout the week.

10. Super Bowl VII: Miami 14, Washington 7
9. Super Bowl X: Pittsburgh 21, Dallas 17
8. Super Bowl XXXII: Denver 31, Green Bay 24
7. Super Bowl XXV: N.Y. Giants 20, Buffalo 19
6. Super Bowl XXXVIII: New England 32, Carolina 29:
Adam Vinatieri kicked a 41-yard field goal with four seconds remaining as the Patriots won their second Super Bowl in three seasons. While it took a Super-Bowl record 26 minutes and 55 seconds for the first points to be scored, the teams combined for 868 yards (481 by New England) and the game also featured the highest scoring quarter (combined 37 points in the fourth).
MVP: Tom Brady, QB, New England
5. Super Bowl XXXIV: St. Louis 23, Tennessee 16"

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9183194

Wouldn't it just SUCK for all the Pats haters if ALL 3 of their SBs ended up in the top 6 of SBs of all time?

SB 31 should make it. Not sure if 39 will make it or not.

SB 38 was better than that Rams Titans tilt.... Here has to be the top 5

5 Cowboys/ Steelers Sb 12
4 Niners Bengals SB22
3 Colts/Cowboys SB 5
2 Jets/Colts
1 Pats/Rams

Shocked that the Pack and Broncs was so low...That was a good game

Last edited:
How can they have Super Bowl XXXVIII rated 6th??? That was by far the best Super Bowl I've ever seen. It had everything. Dominating defense, explosive offense, big plays, back and forth lead changes, drama everywhere.....There's never been a better Super Bowl.

Super Bowl XXXVI will always be special to Pats fans but let's be honest....That was a rather boring game. It got interesting at the end but the majority of the game was pretty dull.

Same thing with the Titans/Rams Super Bowl. It got interesting at the end but it was a snorefest until the 4th quarter.

There haven't been that many good Super Bowls. Super Bowl III was a very important game. But truth be told, it wasn't a very good game so it doesn't make my list.

Here's the List.

10) Super Bowl XXXIX: NE 24 - Phi 21
9) Super Bowl XXX: Dal 27 - Pit 17
8) Super Bowl X: Pit 21 - Dal 17
7) Super Bowl XIV: Pit 31 - LA 19
6) Super Bowl XXXIV: StL 23 - Ten 16
5) Super Bowl XXXII: Den 31 - GB 24
4) Super Bowl XXII: SF 20 - Cin 16
3) Super Bowl XXV: NY 20 - Buf 19
2) Super Bowl XXXVI: NE 20 - StL 17
1) Super Bowl XXXVIII: NE 32 - Car 29

#1 has to be Patriots vs. Rams

PYPER said:
Super Bowl XXXVI will always be special to Pats fans but let's be honest....That was a rather boring game. It got interesting at the end but the majority of the game was pretty dull.

I think you could only call XXXVI boring or dull if you didn't comprehend the significance of what you were watching. Honest. I'll never forget that entrance - I knew in that instant that they were going to win that game. That swarming defense that was hitting anything that moved. Ty's pick and the Brady to Patten TD just before the half. The banner they showed at the opening of the second half: The Silence of the Rams. The Rams comeback in the 4th quarter. Madden recommending BB have his young QB take a knee and play for OT. And then changing his mind. That drive with no TO's and the spike to stop the clock with 7 seconds remaining for a winning kick as time expired.

I know there were some mediots at the time who claimed an exciting ending was being confused with a great game. But that was only because they didn't yet respect the winning team, or appreciate the fact that just as Ricky Proehl predicted they were witnessing the birth of a dynasty. :cool:

MoLewisrocks said:
I think you could only call XXXVI boring or dull if you didn't comprehend the significance of what you were watching. Honest. I'll never forget that entrance - I knew in that instant that they were going to win that game. That swarming defense that was hitting anything that moved. Ty's pick and the Brady to Patten TD just before the half. The banner they showed at the opening of the second half: The Silence of the Rams. The Rams comeback in the 4th quarter. Madden recommending BB have his young QB take a knee and play for OT. And then changing his mind. That drive with no TO's and the spike to stop the clock with 7 seconds remaining for a winning kick as time expired.

I know there were some mediots at the time who claimed an exciting ending was being confused with a great game. But that was only because they didn't yet respect the winning team, or appreciate the fact that just as Ricky Proehl predicted they were witnessing the birth of a dynasty. :cool:

I would also add the fact it was the first Super Bowl after Sept. 11th, and had an emotional pro-America feel to the whole game, including the great, halftime show by U2 paying tribute to the people who died. But hey, everyone knows that the third Super Bowl will be number one for three reasons. First, Namath guaranteed victory and won; second, it was the first time an AFC team won, legitimizing the contest; and third, I don't buy that they would put a Pats Super Bowl as number one, the league just doesn't like the Pats.

MoLewisrocks said:
I think you could only call XXXVI boring or dull if you didn't comprehend the significance of what you were watching.

I think, as a Patriots fan, we all take a much greater appreciation of that game than non-Pats fans would.

I guess we really need to quantify what we mean by "greatest Super Bowl". Is it the entertainment factor or the historical significance factor.

I believe Super Bowl XXXVIII is #1 on the entertainment scale and Super Bowl III is #1 on the historical scale. I'd probably put Super Bowl XXXVI #2 on both scales.

PYPER said:
I believe Super Bowl XXXVIII is #1 on the entertainment scale and Super Bowl III is #1 on the historical scale. I'd probably put Super Bowl XXXVI #2 on both scales.

The entertainment was incredible. The underdog slapping the heavy favorite around for most of the game. Then in the fourth quarter the favorite comes back to tie it. And then of course game winning drive and FG. Plus Tebucky Jones' fumble return for a TD, which was called back.

Historical - What was the point spread, 14 or something? and the underdog won. Also it's the only Super Bowl won on the last play.

To piggyback on what Willie55 wrote:

For all of you claiming #38 was better than #36, I have two questions for you:

1) What was the point spread?

and

2) Was it an upset?

No more questions, your Honor.

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
The entertainment was incredible. The underdog slapping the heavy favorite around for most of the game. Then in the fourth quarter the favorite comes back to tie it. And then of course game winning drive and FG. Plus Tebucky Jones' fumble return for a TD, which was called back.

Historical - What was the point spread, 14 or something? and the underdog won. Also it's the only Super Bowl won on the last play.

Yeah, it was 14-point spread.

And, to be somewhat more accurate: it was the only walk-off scoring drive in Super Bowl history (i.e., the only Super Bowl in which the offense won on their last play :) ).

# 4 is in:

"4. Super Bowl III: N.Y. Jets 16, Baltimore 7:
Jets quarterback Joe Namath "guaranteed" victory on the Thursday before the game, then went out and led the AFL to its first Super Bowl victory over a Baltimore team that had lost only once in 16 games all season."

That should pretty much guarantee XXXVI is in the top 3 and probably #1.

Willie55 said:

Yea it was 14 point spread, and if it wasn't for a bad Willie holding the Pats win by 3 touchdowns.

SB23 & SB36 will be in the top 3, but which other game will join them? I figured SB25 would, but they already put that at #7(!). Ditto SB3 at #4. SB5, with its 8 turnovers between the two teams? Ugh. Did the 35-31 Steelers/Dallas SB already get listed? If not, I bet that's in the top 3.

I bet SB36 makes the top spot, and rightfully so. The whole 2001 Pats season played out like a cheesy sports movie, especially the SB. When life immitates art, you got to give it some bonus points.

Regards,
Chris

festy1986 said:
and if it wasn't for a bad Willie holding the Pats win by 3 touchdowns.

Watch it. ;)

Yea, Pats/Rams should be #1. It's easily the biggest upset in SB history. And I love watching Ricky Proehl say "A dynasty is born tonight!"

My personal favorite non-Pat Super Bowl was Titans/Rams. Steve McNair played like Superman that game. It was just amazing to watch and a drag that they didn't win.

festy1986 said:
Yea it was 14 point spread, and if it wasn't for a bad Willie holding the Pats win by 3 touchdowns.

Was that what also got the Pats flagged for "Unnatural Acts" during this season? A Bad Willie Holding? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back