PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl XLIX Carroll/Belichick prolepsis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I beg to differ, and agree with most knowledgable football people who he made the wrong call and got lucky, but calling the timeout was the only correct decision in that moment. Brady would have had plenty of time to get to field goal range if the time had been called. If you are going to look at odds and percentages, it is unquestionable that BB did NOT play the percentages. The decision he made clearly reduced the Patriots chances of winning the game by leaps and bounds.

I don't get this position at all. It has been discussed ad nauseum. BB was watching the Seattle sideline, he saw the personnel they had in at the goal line, other Patriot coaches asked if he wanted timeout to which BB responded "I'm good" or "I've got it" , and then we add the infamous "Malcolm Go!!" call which was a personnel match up that they had practiced for.

BB knew what he was doing and he decided a timeout wasn't necessary and they won the SB.

To say that it was the wrong call despite the fact that they won is a bizarre statement to say the least.

To say that it was the wrong call despite the fact that they won is a bizarre statement to say the least.
It's not really relevant here, but I've heard more bizarre criticisms of Brady and Belichick...

Remember the play in Super Bowl LI when Amendola pre-snap sets left then runs along the line of scrimmage right towards the center, forcing the cornerback defending him to step back a few steps in order to avoid hitting his own linemen? (Just before Amendola scored). This was all pre-snap, no contact of course.

I talked to a Ravens fan who insisted that that play was an illegal pick play by the Patriots. Just kept repeating it, wouldn't read the rule. He was serious.

Sounds absurd but no more absurd than deflategate or Harbaugh complaining about the receivers formation in 2014. I was thinking of starting a thread on bizarre criticisms of Patriots.

"Prolepsis"

I can't tell you how happy I am to see such a word here. I love words, and run myself from time to time to the prolix and the sequipedelian, and the absence here of floccinaucinihilipilification of your use of prolepsis warms my retired-English-teacher's heart. Aspersions from the linguistic know-nothings is a thing the likes of which up with which I shall not put!!! (Worst sentence I could devise so early in the day)

I look forward to your prolegomenon in a month's time.

(Dropping the facetiousness, the level of lingo at this site - pretty elevated - is one of its best features.)

Last edited:
Felger and Mazz did a whole show on what would have happened had they lost.

They do most of their shows on this fantasy.. for some inane reason it attracts listeners who thrive on controversy, rather than reality.

My proleptical view is this his will happen often and just about every day at 2:00 PM on 98.5... some call it second guessing.

I don't get this position at all. It has been discussed ad nauseum. BB was watching the Seattle sideline, he saw the personnel they had in at the goal line, other Patriot coaches asked if he wanted timeout to which BB responded "I'm good" or "I've got it" , and then we add the infamous "Malcolm Go!!" call which was a personnel match up that they had practiced for.

BB knew what he was doing and he decided a timeout wasn't necessary and they won the SB.

It was a clear mistake by BB.

Not bizarre at all. They needed to call that timeout so Brady would have had enough time to get in field goal range. It was the basic and obvious fact. BB admitted he was sort of gambling. And you are lying that you were not yelling at the TV to take a timeout as everyone was. Watch every youtube of the end of the game of Pats fans watching. Praising BB over it is silly. He got lucky. Majorly

Not bizarre at all. They needed to call that timeout so Brady would have had enough time to get in field goal range. It was the basic and obvious fact. BB admitted he was sort of gambling. And you are lying that you were not yelling at the TV to take a timeout as everyone was. Watch every youtube of the end of the game of Pats fans watching. Praising BB over it is silly. He got lucky. Majorly

Would you have let Seattle score?

It was a clear mistake by BB.

Mistake
  1. an action or judgment that is misguided or wrong.
    "coming here was a mistake"
    synonyms: error, fault, inaccuracy, omission, slip, blunder, miscalculation, misunderstanding, oversight, misinterpretation, gaffe, faux pas, solecism;
verb
  1. 1.
    be wrong about.
    "because I was inexperienced, I mistook the nature of our relationship"
    synonyms: misunderstand, misinterpret, get wrong, misconstrue, misread More
You keepa using that word, I do no think it means, what you think it means.

I love that shot at the end of the game where BB is just staring down the Seattle sideline. Just looking and seeing the dissaray and betting that they are going to crack and make a mistake based on the confusion they were showing. Just awesome and a testament to his abililty to process the game so quickly in live action.

One of the post game videos covered that moment with the coaches. They were all talking about how cool Belichick was and his "I got this" comment to all of the madness going on.

Luck is part of the game. But in this instance it was an experienced, thoughtful choice (that the odds were better to stay with the defense) by the greatest HC in the History of the NFL based upon his feel, what he saw across the sidelines and what they had practiced for....

the rest of this is just your needle stuck in a warped dip in the vinyl.

This is your problem.

In your mind, you are allowing conventional thinking to define right and wrong when the actual situation called for unconventional thinking.

He saw how confused SEA was and saw no need to take a time out and let them off the hook.

You can say all you want BB made the wrong decision but the outcome was exactly what he planned for which was SEA not scoring.

Last edited:

Relying on your defense to get the stop vs. taking a time out to give you offense time was the gamble. You're acting like when a team is at the 2 yard line it's a sure score. We've seen time and time again where that is not the case, so while you or I, or other fans who were scared to death wanted to take a time out. BB was smarter than the rest of us who couldn't field a winning team to save our lives.

I was upset that he wasn't calling a timeout but he made a coaching decision that worked. Chances are Pete would have decided to run it if he had our timeout to think it over. We will never know but I'm not about to 2nd guess a decision that BB makes especially when it worked. If it makes you(anyone) feel smart to declair it a big mistake then knock yourselves out.

It would have been roughly 58 seconds left if he had used the time out.
Only if they'd deliberately let the Seahawks score.

And that Seattle D was gassed, just like ATL.
Even if they were gassed, that's still a much better D than Atlanta's. It would've been somewhere around 45-50 seconds with one timeout left to go and, assuming the ball gets put at the 25, at least 40 yards to go for a reasonable shot at a FG. And in that case it would not have been possible to employ the dink-and-dunk strategy that beat the Seahawks D that day with time being of the essence.

I was upset that he wasn't calling a timeout but he made a coaching decision that worked. Chances are Pete would have decided to run it if he had our timeout to think it over. We will never know but I'm not about to 2nd guess a decision that BB makes especially when it worked. If it makes you(anyone) feel smart to declair it a big mistake then knock yourselves out.
Oh, the Seahawks would've run it three times for sure if the Pats had called TO. The reason the Seahawks had to pass was because they wasted their second timeout after the Kearse catch. So in order to preserve enough time to run all three possible plays after Hightower stopped Lynch on 1st Down the Seahawks had to throw in a passing play at either 2nd or 3rd Down - unless the Pats took them off the hook by calling a TO.

If Belichick had called the timeout and not decided to let them score like he did with the Giants in SB XLVI the scenario would've been:

1st Down: Lynch Run
NE Timeout
2nd Down: Run
3rd Down: Run
SEA Timeout
4th Down: Run

Three chances to punch it in from the 1 yard line with either Lynch or Wilson, leaving practically no time.

If Belichick had called timeout there is no way around letting the Seahawks score. That would've left the Patriots with around 45-50 seconds and one timeout to try and get into FG range for a game-tying FG.

This is your problem.

In your mind, you are allowing conventional thinking to define right and wrong when the actual situation called for unconventional thinking.

He saw how confused SEA was and saw no need to take a time out and let them off the hook.

You can say all you want BB made the wrong decision but the outcome was exactly what he planned for which was SEA not scoring.
Everyone is soo naive and homerish on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes