PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl XLIX Carroll/Belichick prolepsis

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
In this February 1, 2015 pre-Super Bowl joint press conference at 27:37 a reporter asks Carroll and Belichick how each handles 4th quarter pressure.

Carroll equivocates, doesn't give much of an answer actually, and looks uncomfortable.

Belichick is calm, precise: "I try to personally prepare for all the situations that come up during a game, and we try to instruct our team what we want to do in those situations when they come up. So, for us, it's all about practice: practice execution becomes game reality."

I love that shot at the end of the game where BB is just staring down the Seattle sideline. Just looking and seeing the dissaray and betting that they are going to crack and make a mistake based on the confusion they were showing. Just awesome and a testament to his abililty to process the game so quickly in live action.

In this February 1, 2015 pre-Super Bowl joint press conference at 27:37 a reporter asks Carroll and Belichick how each handles 4th quarter pressure.

Carroll equivocates, doesn't give much of an answer actually, and looks uncomfortable.

Belichick is calm, precise: "I try to personally prepare for all the situations that come up during a game, and we try to instruct our team what we want to do in those situations when they come up. So, for us, it's all about practice: practice execution becomes game reality."

Great find. Thank you for sharing this.

I love that shot at the end of the game where BB is just staring down the Seattle sideline. Just looking and seeing the dissaray and betting that they are going to crack and make a mistake based on the confusion they were showing. Just awesome and a testament to his abililty to process the game so quickly in live action.
Not calling that time out was the biggest mistake BB ever made. It was a no brainer to call the timeout, and could have cost the Patriots a shot at the Super Bowl. He did get bailed out on that one in 49. Sorry, just a football fact.

Not calling that time out was the biggest mistake BB ever made. It was a no brainer to call the timeout, and could have cost the Patriots a shot at the Super Bowl. He did get bailed out on that one in 49. Sorry, just a football fact.

I understand the reasoning, but the chances of the Pats driving for a tying FG against that D with under 40 seconds left would have been very small (Seattle's win percentage was over 90% and probably higher). BB decided their best chance was stopping them and calling TO would not have helped accomplish that. Hard to say he was really wrong.

Highly debatable. In case anyone was wondering, I wanted the timeout.

Highly debatable. In case anyone was wondering, I wanted the timeout.

I did too. But I had little faith in us getting a FG either. It felt like 2007 all over again. BB was gutsy enough to go all in on stopping them - and he would have been crucified if they did not. Like 4th and 1 versus the Colts.

I think his decision was smart, actually. Frantic plays led to the big mistake.

I did too. But I had little faith in us getting a FG either. It felt like 2007 all over again. BB was gutsy enough to go all in on stopping them - and he would have been crucified if they did not. Like 4th and 1 versus the Colts.

Felger and Mazz did a whole show on what would have happened had they lost.

I understand the reasoning, but the chances of the Pats driving for a tying FG against that D with under 40 seconds left would have been very small (Seattle's win percentage was over 90% and probably higher). BB decided their best chance was stopping them and calling TO would not have helped accomplish that. Hard to say he was really wrong.
It would have been roughly 58 seconds left if he had used the time out. And that Seattle D was gassed, just like ATL. It is really not debatable that BB made a terrible decision on the timeout in 49.

It is debatable whether or not you should call a timeout in that situation or not and at the time I was screaming at my TV for a timeout. But looking over it I can see the upside to not calling the timeout. IDK how you can call that a "no brainer" and a "mistake". Belichick deciding not to call a timeout rushed the Seahawks and led to Seattle's decision to pass the ball. Seattle decided to pass the ball because w/out the timeout from Belichick they may not of had time to get 3 runs in if need be. So Carroll explained that he called the pass to make sure they could use all 3 chances to score.

Belichick just chose to bet on his defense instead of relying on a 40 second drive from Brady. And it worked out.

The reason he would have been crucified is because it was an absolutely terrible decision.

It would have been roughly 58 seconds left if he had used the time out. And that Seattle D was gassed, just like ATL. It is really not debatable that BB made a terrible decision on the timeout in 49.

Did you watch the documentary where he goes through his thinking at the time? How he went through the pro's and con's in real time, and saw the other sideline in disarray and decided to press the issue? How they had Seattle's goal line offense extremely well diagrammed?

The idea that any of us neophytes could even begin to make a judgment about that, from this distance, is just absurd.

Did you watch the documentary where he goes through his thinking at the time? How he went through the pro's and con's in real time, and saw the other sideline in disarray and decided to press the issue? How they had Seattle's goal line offense extremely well diagrammed?

The idea that any of us neophytes could even begin to make a judgment about that, from this distance, is just absurd.
>>Did you watch the documentary where he goes through his thinking at the time?

Yes I did, and though I think the man is brilliant, he clearly blundered on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case