PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl 51...Did you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the game at home and didnt have anyone over. The first half I watched the game on my new TV. Everything went wrong for the Pats.

I knew that I had to make halftime adjustments.

The second half I watched the game on my old TV. Everything basically went right for the Pats.

Every Pat's super bowl is exciting, but that game was the greatest super bowl comeback in NFL history.

Appreciate your willingness to change your gameplan and watch a lesser TV. Ernie Adams took notice of this.

We were at the Friend's house for our annual SB party. After being curled up in a fetal postiion and my wife checking he provisions in my life insurance policy..when it got to 28-12, one of the people said, " they need 2 TDs and 2 two 2 pt conversions. When they scored, I was " that's oee" then "that's 2" etc...... when they tied it up, I knew it was over.. Looking at the Falcons bench they were beaten ....

Had a house full of family and friends who all, except for my youngest son, left at 28-3, each giving condolences about the Pats. Told my son I would watch to the end. He and I enjoyed the second half

That's actually awesome.

We were at the Friend's house for our annual SB party. After being curled up in a fetal postiion and my wife checking he provisions in my life insurance policy..when it got to 28-12, one of the people said, " they need 2 TDs and 2 two 2 pt conversions. When they scored, I was " that's oee" then "that's 2" etc...... when they tied it up, I knew it was over.. Looking at the Falcons bench they were beaten ....

The body language of the Falcons players on the bench (especially in rewatches, didn’t really notice it at the time) is palpable and shows utter terror and helplessness. The moment that sticks out to me during the game is if you watch Belichick just as the Falcons score to go up 27-3 (soon to be 28) his face is just stone cold, totally focused and unwavering.

I "knew" it was over once the Pats won the OT coin toss. The best part was amongst a party full of haters, they all knew the same thing. Still, it was impressive as hell to see them execute the drive the way they did.

I can't imagine being a Falcons fan watching that slow death, especially when escape from death was a made play or two away. We would still be *****ing about James White if he missed the block like Devonta Freeman did that allowed the strip sack. There would probably be a thread to rival the Malcom Butler thread in magnitude about being the lone team forced to punt all year after having a 1st and 10 inside the opponent's 25yd line and the missed chance to ice the game.

"Oh, God! Somebody make a play! Anyone! FFS!"

(Edelman circus catch)

"Fuuuuuu******!!! This is not happening!"

(Deep comeback Hogan in OT, just barely beating the CB who read it)

"Are you freaking kidding me!?!"

(Pass interference by D'Vondre Campbell)

"Son. Of. A. Biiiiiiii******!"

("HEEEEEE'S IN!!! PATRIOTS WIN THE SUPERBOWL! BRADY HAS HIS FIFTH! WHAT A COMEBACK!")

"Fu** this sh**. I'm going for a walk."

Regards,
Chris

I had the pleasure of being at SB 49 surrounded by Seattle fans ( outnumbered Pats fans 4-1) as they trolled us when they went up 10, and all I said was " it's not over yet". When Butler made the interception, they got out of there faster than I've ever seen weebles move.....

Lol at "when did you know"... I'm still convinced they're going to lose that game

I was reminiscing on YouTube watching super bowl 51 mic’d up. Then I started reading through the comments and saw a string where people posted “when they knew the Pats would win”.

I never had that feeling during that game. Maybe because I was sick as a dog, I don’t know.

What I do recall thinking is “Ok, maybe it’s not going to be embarrassing”. Then as events unfolded, I just became more amazed as great plays and luck seemed to be following a pre-determined script.

The best I can say is that my hope kept building.

I’m just wondering if Patsfans members had a point “they knew” and stopped being nervous. And if you did, at what point?
When the Patriots came all the way back to tie the game. At that point it was obvious the Falcons defense was gassed.

I watched with a Texans fan. When the Falcons went up 28-3, I said "that's game".

But it immediately felt like a cardinal sin to say something like that, and I added, "but if anyone can do it, it's Tom ****in Brady".

I actually believed when Tom ran for the first down. I told my buddy "this is the play that changed the game. The Pats are gonna win"

..........When I noticed Dan Quinn had soiled himself

Pretty much not until it was over, but I never gave up hope. I kept watching, and responded to friends' trash talk on social media with things like "You never know could be a comeback for the ages."

The number of events that pretty much had to go perfectly were unbelievable. I don't think it will ever happen again. People will literally study that game in the future as a lesson on how to win/how to fail/the role of luck and hard work.

the first time i started questioning us not winning was after we scored the first TD and missed the XP or something? i forget exact moment but it was easy score and we messed it up, until then i never wavered, that when I started thinking its possible we lose

it didn't last long, i was more like edelman "this is gonna be a crazy story they're gonna talk about for a long time"

I knew the Pat's had little as soon as they sacked Ryan and then they got the holding penalty to put them out of field goal range. The Falcons D had used themselves up in the first 3 quarters and there was no way they were stopping them.

Basically when the Patriots won the coin toss in overtime

Most of that game was watching in disbelief and doing the math on time remaining and possessions needed. I never had doubt or confidence, I was just watching as a big ball of nerves in disbelief

I knew that I had to make halftime adjustments.
Same here.

The score to make it 28-3 wasn't as deflating as it could have been, because we'd already been in emergency management mode since the second quarter.

With so much at stake, you don't just give up.

Now if you're Peyton Manning and the Broncos, well, look, you're just lucky the Pats screwed up and let you be there in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes