PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Injury News Strange to IR

We should trade him to the Rams, who were eyeing him in the 5th. How about our 1st Rd pick straight up for their 3rd Rd pick (Kupp)?

We should trade him to the Rams, who were eyeing him in the 5th. How about our 1st Rd pick straight up for their 3rd Rd pick (Kupp)?
I would take the Puke.

Ugh, how do we compare to other teams injuries and honestly, Kevin Stefanski is doing a amazing job with the injuries at QB alone.

Top 10 guard the last few weeks but ok
I said the same thing as he was carted off. Of course when he's finally coming around and finding his groove - this happens.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Saw Strange as one of the few keepers for September. I don’t know what happens now.

Shame, I hope he can recover and regain his quickness and agility. He still is lacking in power, but looked to be a more than serviceable player.

FWIW, both Sow and Mafi played LG in college so they have some depth there. If Rieff or Anderson had worked out at RT, I think Mafi would have been played very sparingly this year as has been the case for Jake Andrews. So in this small way it has been good for the team’s future to have both Sow and Mafi play a lot this year.

If they can get Big Mike resigned and draft someone who can be their LT1 they will be in quite a bit better shape for their OL next year than they were going into this season. Hopefully Anderson gets healthy and I’m still curious about Wheatley.

Sucks to see injuries but on the plus side you get a good look at mafi the last few weeks , hopefully will be a key piece at depth on the interior.

He'd been a massive disappointment until the last few games.
He'll almost certainly be back, given the rookie contract and lack of depth on the line.
Hopefully he bounces back and continues to improve.

According to Curran, his injury in preseason was bad enough that it required surgery, with Strange apparently deciding to just play through it. He missed Week 1, played the next two games, missed the next three, didn't miss a game after that.

Here's a look at his injury history:

He actually came off the injury report in Week 8 and was never on it again prior to last week, and only missed a handful of snaps:

Sort of wonder if it finally gave out on him, but it will probably be a bit until we find out.

Yeah, that knee is likely going to be surgically repaired. He was going against heavy load Chris Jones when it buckled.

He’s a good guard, especially for an outside zone team where his elite athleticism wins out.

Having him block in our gap, inside zone is going to be a challenge with that knee.

Wish him he best of luck. I can see his muscle mass on that leg take a serious hit.

How about this: Put Sow at his natural LG, and train Mafi at the easier RG.

Try to reclaim Chasen Hines from the Phins to compete with Mafi at his natural RG.

Oh, get a real OL coach if Adrian Klemm is still suffering from that mystery illness.

Cole Popovich won’t be getting any mystery illness. That I can almost guarantee.

Shame, I hope he can recover and regain his quickness and agility. He still is lacking in power, but looked to be a more than serviceable player.

FWIW, both Sow and Mafi played LG in college so they have some depth there. If Rieff or Anderson had worked out at RT, I think Mafi would have been played very sparingly this year as has been the case for Jake Andrews. So in this small way it has been good for the team’s future to have both Sow and Mafi play a lot this year.

If they can get Big Mike resigned and draft someone who can be their LT1 they will be in quite a bit better shape for their OL next year than they were going into this season. Hopefully Anderson gets healthy and I’m still curious about Wheatley.
One interesting thing to me is that Sow has played good enough at RG that he’s effectively replaced Onwenu in that position - I don’t think they’d sign Onwenu to be their starting RG again. So they either will sign him to be the RT or they won’t sign him.

If they do sign him, he + Sow + Andrews + an eventually healthy Strange represents a good core, with Mafi having had a lot of reps and being able to back up either guard. At that point you’re down to LT, where McDermott has played admirably as a pinch reserve player and probably has proven himself to be a keeper as a depth swing tackle, but obviously need a starting LT ahead of him and possibly another developmental LT. Not sure Brown is still that guy with how much time he has missed.

Due to all of the above I can see the logic in a trade down from 2 to 5 to pick up a high 2nd plus more and draft one of the top two LTs. Take a QB with one of your high 2nds. Good LTs are almost as rare as good QBs these days.

Reactions: Ian
One interesting thing to me is that Sow has played good enough at RG that he’s effectively replaced Onwenu in that position - I don’t think they’d sign Onwenu to be their starting RG again. So they either will sign him to be the RT or they won’t sign him.

If they do sign him, he + Sow + Andrews + an eventually healthy Strange represents a good core, with Mafi having had a lot of reps and being able to back up either guard. At that point you’re down to LT, where McDermott has played admirably as a pinch reserve player and probably has proven himself to be a keeper as a depth swing tackle, but obviously need a starting LT ahead of him and possibly another developmental LT. Not sure Brown is still that guy with how much time he has missed.

Due to all of the above I can see the logic in a trade down from 2 to 5 to pick up a high 2nd plus more and draft one of the top two LTs. Take a QB with one of your high 2nds. Good LTs are almost as rare as good QBs these days.
Definitely crazy to think about. Started out in bad shape and, as you mentioned, they slowly seemed to have found reasonable answers across most of the line, with left tackle being the urgent need. If Onwenu likes playing tackle, he definitely turned out to be one of the more pleasant surprises of this season and it would be nice to keep him.

So, provided Strange comes back healthy, they're in decent shape. Also, Jake Andrews has quietly gotten a lot of snaps on special teams all season, so he's been getting plenty of reps also and hopefully developed a bit this season. Not bad for a group that was somewhat of a mess for the early part of the season.

Top 10 guard the last few weeks but ok
It would seem that missing camp time and playing hurt affected his early performance, and as he got healthy his play improved. Think he's a for sure keeper provided the injury heals alright.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back