PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still No # 1WR

Every 2020 post season team had a dynamic WR.

(Offense rank at left)

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP
(6) KC - Hill
(2) Buffalo - Diggs

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP
(3) Tampa Bay - Evans
(1) Green Bay - Adams

(4) Tennessee - AJ Brown - Defeated by # 7 Baltimore
(5) New Orleans - Sanders - Defeated by # 2 TB
(7) Baltimore - Marquise Brown - Defeated by # 2 Buffalo
(8) Seattle - DK Metcalf - Defeated by # 22 Los Angeles
(9) Indianapolis - Hilton - Defeated by # 2 Buffalo
(12) Pittsburgh - Claypool - Defeated by # 14 Cleveland
(14) Cleveland - Landry - Defeated by # 6 KC
(22) Chicago - Robinson - Defeated by # 5 NO
(22) Los Angeles - Woods - Defeated by # 1 GB
(25) Washington - McLaurin - Defeated by # 3 TB

The OP is right.

NE needs to address WR. The Patriots have never been a team that comes out every week in the same offense or defense.
agree with this. Hard to be truly competitive for a Super Bowl without a serious deep threat and someone opposing defenses need to pay attention to. Has it been done previously, yes. It is much more difficult to achieve consistent offensive production without a home run threat.

true WR1# on Pats roster in the last 20 years = 1 (Randy Moss), Rings? 0 equivalent to ZERO
6 rings without a true WR1#, but its more fancy if you have someone for your personal fantasy footbal team

this offense is going to be very good if only the QB can keep it up (whether it is Cam, Mac or Stidham whoever is starting WK1), it is going to be different to what it was last year on all levels, only QB play and injuries can be a game changer

I think they need to replace Edelman. Don’t think Gunner is the guy.

The hope is hanging on to a 7th rounder that most likely won’t make the 53 is funny.

agree with this. Hard to be truly competitive for a Super Bowl without a serious deep threat and someone opposing defenses need to pay attention to. Has it been done previously, yes. It is much more difficult to achieve consistent offensive production without a home run threat.

Are you saying we need a speedster, or a 1000 yard WR? Because we already have both.

Agholor led the league in yards per catch/attempt. He's already a speedster. This is what he does. Even if you don't recognize it yet.

Meyers is already a 1000 yard talent at WR.

Every single time the Pats won a ring 6 different times, it defied the claim of the historical need for a big name receiver to win....

Are you saying we need a speedster, or a 1000 yard WR? Because we already have both.

Agholor led the league in yards per catch/attempt. He's already a speedster. This is what he does. Even if you don't recognize it yet.

Meyers is already a 1000 yard talent at WR.

Every single time the Pats won a ring 6 different times, it defied the claim of the historical need for a big name receiver to win....

grass is always greener on the other side for some on this board

Looking at the last two Super Bowl winners, they both have a great top outside WR (Hill and Evans), but I would argue that what made those offenses special (besides their QBs, which are no small thing of course) is that they had a variety of weapons that put a lot of stress on DCs.

KC had Hill, but also Kelce who was a matchup problem, a QB who could scramble which takes some bite out of a pass rush, and their 3rd and 4th options were good enough to win the matchups against the 3rd and 4th DB's.

TB had Evans who led the team in rec, yards, and y/rec, but also had Godwin, Brown, and Gronk.

If either of those teams had just had their number 1 guy and then a bunch of JAGs, they would be a cake walk (relatively speaking) to defend for well coached and talented defenses. BB excels defending those kinds of offenses, where he really only has to worry about defending 1 guy and saying, "If you beat me with the rest, so be it." EDIT: This reminds me of the documentary too about the 2009 Patriots. That team had a lot of problems, but BB specifically talks about in a meeting with McDaniels (paraphrasing): "We need to get someone else going, because if you double Moss and bracket Welker, we've got nothing." Arguably the best 1-2 punch at WR the Brady Pats ever had, and without adequate guys behind them, they were "easy" to defend.

So those guys are valuable, no one should dispute that. But give me 3 or 4 solid weapons over 1 great one any day. Hopefully the new blood this year can be that, but they've got a lot of gelling to do before we'll see.

Looking at the last two Super Bowl winners, they both have a great top outside WR (Hill and Evans), but I would argue that what made those offenses special (besides their QBs, which are no small thing of course) is that they had a variety of weapons that put a lot of stress on DCs.

KC had Hill, but also Kelce who was a matchup problem, a QB who could scramble which takes some bite out of a pass rush, and their 3rd and 4th options were good enough to win the matchups against the 3rd and 4th DB's.

TB had Evans who led the team in rec, yards, and y/rec, but also had Godwin, Brown, and Gronk.

If either of those teams had just had their number 1 guy and then a bunch of JAGs, they would be a cake walk (relatively speaking) to defend for well coached and talented defenses. BB excels defending those kinds of offenses, where he really only has to worry about defending 1 guy and saying, "If you beat me with the rest, so be it." EDIT: This reminds me of the documentary too about the 2009 Patriots. That team had a lot of problems, but BB specifically talks about in a meeting with McDaniels (paraphrasing): "We need to get someone else going, because if you double Moss and bracket Welker, we've got nothing." Arguably the best 1-2 punch at WR the Brady Pats ever had, and without adequate guys behind them, they were "easy" to defend.

So those guys are valuable, no one should dispute that. But give me 3 or 4 solid weapons over 1 great one any day. Hopefully the new blood this year can be that, but they've got a lot of gelling to do before we'll see.

Yes exactly. Multiple weapons (which we have now) plus how important good TE play is and ability to attack the middle of the field.

Given the strength at te , I think we are *okay* at wr with agholor, Bourne, Meyers . Harry I’m not expecting much but still an outside shot at doing something and it shouldn’t be tough to add a 4th option like Byrd back there. You’re going to see lots of 2 te formations , they have put a lot of $$ in those two.

OBJ has a terrible catch rate and drops nearly 50% of his targets.

Let him stay with the mouth breathers in Cleveland.

There is no perfect roster and you can't plug every hole. The QB position is potentially fixed. The porous run D is very likely fixed. The anemic pass rush is very likely fixed. The thin O-line is very likely fixed. Would it be nice to have an OBJ or another clear #1? Sure. But you can't fix everything in a salary cap world.

Did you even read any of the posts in this killer thread you started?

Players with 12 YPR & a 70% catch rate:
  • Stefon Diggs
  • Deandre Hopkins
  • Amari Cooper
  • Justin Jefferson
  • Corey Davis
  • Chris Godwin
  • Jakobi Meyers
Meyers started beating CBs like Marcus Peters & Xavien Howard in the second half of the season. May be the most slept on player on the team.

No faith tre Nixon can’t step into that role?
Cousin, That would make the cheese more binding for sure....... Anthony Miller anyone? "Miller delivered 33 catches and seven touchdowns as a talented, but raw rookie who was eased into a complicated system by playing just 54 percent of the offensive snaps".

"Miller was a 2018 second-round pick out of Memphis and the Bears traded up with New England to take him 51st overall, surrendering a 2019 second-round pick and the 105th pick of 2018 in exchange. How ironic.

There were 34 wide receivers drafted in 2018 and Miller was the sixth one chosen. He has made the sixth most receptions (134) and sixth most touchdown catches (11) of that draft class.

D.J. Moore (208), Calvin Ridley (217), Christian Kirk (159), DJ Chark (140) and Michael Gallup (158) are the only ones with more catches than Miller from that class, and Moore, Ridley and Kirk are the only ones chosen above him in the draft from that group. Miller is seventh in receiving yardage from that class (1,564)."

Receivers coach Mike Furrey lauded Miller's run blocking

4.46 40 and a vertical of 39. Big 10" hands at 6'0" (a little under) and 201 lbs. Th rap on him was inconsistency.....what? The whole Bears QB was inconsistent. 22 reps on bench
In high school, but was also a state 110-meter hurdle champion and was a runner-up in the long jump

junior year, made 95 receptions for 1,434 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Bill, I can get Pace's phone number. He is on the Bears trading block. They just picked up Marquis Goodwin.

Just spit ballin' here ....wouldn't Miller be out top WR and possibly#1? Agholar is more suited for a #2.

DW Toys

Last edited:
We have now gone through free agency and the draft and surprisingly we still do not have anything close to a # 1 receiver on the team. High concern as there is no deep threat or a player that can "take the top" off the defense.
Its not Agholor, Bourne or Jakoby Myers that is for sure. Edelman's retirement has made this even more of a huge hole.
Now all that is left is for the June first other teams' castoffs to choose from. I think this was a big oversight and will limit how effective Cam can be and also the TE's ceilings.

Teams will be able to stack the middle and cover the seams and center of the field on short and intermediate roots.
I think more capital should have been spent on this in the draft.

The other teams in the AFC East have spent mightily on this over past 2 years

1. Bills- Stefan Diggs
2. Dolphins Jaylon Waddle
3. Jets- Corey Davis and Elijah Moore.

I still believe the pats offense will be somewhat anemic this year. Hopefully the defense, will cover for offense shortcomings.
Looks like addressing WR1 will have to wait until 2022.
who was the last Patriots WR that took the top off the defense? Randy Moss? plus...I don't think Cam can throw it that far

Isn't Anthony Miller mostly a slot WR rather than an outside guy?

Did Gunner make the team? If he is active, he's the #4 (emergency receiver), and one on your list isn't active.
He was named first-team All-Pro as a punt returner this past season. On that alone I think it’d take a lot for him not to make the final cut. I see Gunner as the PR and the de facto #4 or #5 WR on most weeks.

Cousin, That would make the cheese more binding for sure....... Anthony Miller anyone? "Miller delivered 33 catches and seven touchdowns as a talented, but raw rookie who was eased into a complicated system by playing just 54 percent of the offensive snaps".

"Miller was a 2018 second-round pick out of Memphis and the Bears traded up with New England to take him 51st overall, surrendering a 2019 second-round pick and the 105th pick of 2018 in exchange. How ironic.

There were 34 wide receivers drafted in 2018 and Miller was the sixth one chosen. He has made the sixth most receptions (134) and sixth most touchdown catches (11) of that draft class.

D.J. Moore (208), Calvin Ridley (217), Christian Kirk (159), DJ Chark (140) and Michael Gallup (158) are the only ones with more catches than Miller from that class, and Moore, Ridley and Kirk are the only ones chosen above him in the draft from that group. Miller is seventh in receiving yardage from that class (1,564)."

Receivers coach Mike Furrey lauded Miller's run blocking

4.46 40 and a vertical of 39. Big 10" hands at 6'0" (a little under) and 201 lbs. Th rap on him was inconsistency.....what? The whole Bears QB was inconsistent. 22 reps on bench
In high school, but was also a state 110-meter hurdle champion and was a runner-up in the long jump

junior year, made 95 receptions for 1,434 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Bill, I can get Pace's phone number. He is on the Bears trading block. They just picked up Marquis Goodwin.

Just spit ballin' here ....wouldn't Miller be out top WR and possibly#1? Agholar is more suited for a #2.

DW Toys

While I liked Miller in that draft, Agholor was a better prospect, and he's been a better NFL player, too.

The depth at WR is not great behind Agholar and Bourne. One injury and it could be a problem...

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back