PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still No # 1WR

Very strange post.
FA brought in help on D and on O. Two quality TEs were signed. A QB of the future, a huge DL, and a possible helper on the edge were taken with three picks within the top 100.

But we have no #1 WR.

Why is Patsfans so obsessed with WRs ? Is there any data to show that the team with the highest rated WR group is the most likely to win the SB ? Or have we come to a point where the avg patsfan would rather see an air show than a trophy presentation ?
This. Thank you.

I have been, and remain in the "Bill sucks at drafting and developing true outside the numbers WRs" camp. But it's very clear that they don't have to have a great HoF caliber guy to be successful.

The depth at WR is not great behind Agholar and Bourne. One injury and it could be a problem...

1178629578.jpeg

So you got him on the bubble?

agree with this. Hard to be truly competitive for a Super Bowl without a serious deep threat and someone opposing defenses need to pay attention to. Has it been done previously, yes. It is much more difficult to achieve consistent offensive production without a home run threat.
You have already proven you are an idiot. No need to keep doing it.

The Pats are still weak at WR.

Like Rockchrist postings. Not that pathetic but close.

Players with 12 YPR & a 70% catch rate:
  • Stefon Diggs
  • Deandre Hopkins
  • Amari Cooper
  • Justin Jefferson
  • Corey Davis
  • Chris Godwin
  • Jakobi Meyers
Meyers started beating CBs like Marcus Peters & Xavien Howard in the second half of the season. May be the most slept on player on the team.

Yes. As another stat Meyers had a 169 yard receiving game last year and the only couple other receivers who ever did this as a Patriot are all in the Patriot HOF. I think Meyers is above Bourne on the WR depth chart. Bourne off the bench.

Under the current NFL rules, the passing game is dominant. Teams are winning with high-level QBs, high-level WRs and high-level TEs. It's far and away the dominant manner of, getting to the SB, never mind actually winning it. In the last 5 SBs a/k/a 10 SB teams,

NE (3)
Phi
KC (2)
TB
SF
LAR
ATL

Why does this have to be explained almost hourly around here? Do y'all think that if you just keep defying reality, reality will begin to conform to your posts?

Under the current NFL rules, the passing game is dominant. Teams are winning with high-level QBs, high-level WRs and high-level TEs. It's far and away the dominant manner of, getting to the SB, never mind actually winning it. In the last 5 SBs a/k/a 10 SB teams,

NE (3)
Phi
KC (2)
TB
SF
LAR
ATL

Why does this have to be explained almost hourly around here? Do y'all think that if you just keep defying reality, reality will begin to conform to your posts?

I don't disagree with the premise. I'm less convinced, however, that the entire passing attack is predicated on the prototypical outside receiver. The Patriots seem to prefer a more distributed attack that stresses the field horizontally. They've owned the middle of the field, and thrived on seam shots and calculated deep passes that are schemed open more often than not. We've seen that come back to bite them on occasion when the right defenses could clog MoF and still get pressure with the front four, but the overall formula is sound. The current players on the roster -- assuming the FA additions pan out -- seem well suited to running a similar offense.

Once we were locked into a quarterback early (a move I supported), who were the WR prospects in the second round onward who would be a clear step above Agholor or Bourne this season? Tough to find playing time for them with the current array of pass catchers, assuming a run-heavy offensive philosophy with a fullback or two tight ends on the field for a majority of snaps. I suspect that next year we'll take another shot at a player who can fulfill that alpha outside role -- AKA, what we hoped Harry could develop into when he was drafted. I don't think many of us still expect that he can turn it around; that said, if he can take at least a step or two forward, he's a fine #4.

That still leaves us a ways off from a #1, but I'm bullish on the solid, diverse collection of #2/3 WRs and TEs signed in FA.

Last edited:
IMHO, at this point, in time a possession receiver will be more important for both Jones and Cam and the Patriots offense. Don't know who that will be yet, maybe a TE, maybe White, maybe Meyers. TB always knew where to locate his possession receiver.

As long as the offensive line is as good as last year and Newton/Jones is at least as good as Newton was last year, Patriots should be fine. They have upgraded their defense a decent amount. And their skill positions on offense are better.

I do think there is a chance that the offensive line is not as good as fans expect. I am more concerned about that line being less of a strength than fans expect than the rest of the offense.

I think it is a given that the Patriots do not have a typical #1 outside receiver. Team has won Super Bowls in the past without that. Yes, Brady no longer on the team but Jones may be a very good replacement if given a chance. And Newton if he has same health as last year should be better/more comfortable in the system and will take advantage of the better tight ends to a certain extent.

Players with 12 YPR & a 70% catch rate:
  • Stefon Diggs
  • Deandre Hopkins
  • Amari Cooper
  • Justin Jefferson
  • Corey Davis
  • Chris Godwin
  • Jakobi Meyers
Meyers started beating CBs like Marcus Peters & Xavien Howard in the second half of the season. May be the most slept on player on the team.

He's been an awesome story. Excited for him this season.

There's plenty of offense to win with this season. And if think of it from a complimentary sense the defense, on paper, looks really good.

This is a playoff caliber team and it will come down to QB play, how fast they can build chemistry and of course injuries.

Should be a fun year.

I don't disagree with the premise. I'm less convinced, however, that the entire passing attack is predicated on the prototypical outside receiver.

It's not. During the Brady era, the Patriots WR1 tended to be smaller WRs, often slot guys. But they were legitimate receivers who didn't get their due because the league hadn't yet adapted to the importance of the slot WR. Wes Welker belongs in the HOF. Edelman wasn't quite that level, but he was underrated until the end because of the "slot" derision. Not only that, but having the greatest QB of all time enabled the Patriots to function offensively when pretty much any other QB in league history would have led the team to failure.

But that's not the same as saying the team doesn't need a WR1 (or, when Brady was still around, needing a middle-deep WR threat). I mean, don't find it funny as hell that many the same people who post "don't need the WR1" are arguing that Edelman was a great who might deserve HOF consideration?

It's not. During the Brady era, the Patriots WR1 tended to be smaller WRs, often slot guys. But they were legitimate receivers who didn't get their due because the league hadn't yet adapted to the importance of the slot WR. Wes Welker belongs in the HOF. Edelman wasn't quite that level, but he was underrated until the end because of the "slot" derision. Not only that, but having the greatest QB of all time enabled the Patriots to function offensively when pretty much any other QB in league history would have led the team to failure.

But that's not the same as saying the team doesn't need a WR1 (or, when Brady was still around, needing a middle-deep WR threat). I mean, don't find it funny as hell that many the same people who post "don't need the WR1" are arguing that Edelman was a great who might deserve HOF consideration?

That makes really good sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Well I am or was one of those people. But good point. I guess I never fit Edelman into the definition of a "# 1 WR" although have always considered him a # 1 target.

Thats pretty much been the MO the last two decades. Bill never really thought much of the receiving position. Maybe Jones or Cam can cry to the media like Rodgers and make it happen.

This. Thank you.

I have been, and remain in the "Bill sucks at drafting and developing true outside the numbers WRs" camp. But it's very clear that they don't have to have a great HoF caliber guy to be successful.
Because they had Brady. Brady can make things work at receiver that would be a struggle on other teams. The days of putting crap out there at wideout and expect a great offense is over. It was always a luxury but that is not the case anymore.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back