PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still No # 1WR

Back when you could actually see the team practice up close and personal, I watched JJWilliams closesly and was impressed with him. I was even more impressed watching the small sample of his play his rookie year. Now last season was a total washout as he was shifted back and forth from CB to S all year. But here's the thing, the kid was playing behind Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, and McCourty. The #5 CB is NOT going to get much work in a defensive system that likes to use 3 safeties a lot. There was simply no room at the inn.

I know its easy to write him off. Its what the instant gratification crowd likes to do. But if JMcCourty ends up with the Giants. Williams could very well find himself getting snaps this season. And for those who like to "read into" personnel moves of the team what about this. Maybe the fact that we didn't add anyone to the CB room (so far) in FA or the draft is because they think that JJ Williams is ready to contribute this season to the best CB room in the league. (that being said I'm fairly sure we will add a CB to the roster in the next 3 months)

NOW to the real rant. - GOOOOOOOOOOOD I am tired of hearing about whether or not the Pats have a f#cking #1 WR. To any and all of you who believe a team needs one I have just have one thing to say to you. WTF have you been watching the last 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!

Because you sure as hell haven't been paying much attention to the local team's success. I mean WTF. How many GREAT WR's do have have to watch play on teams that consistently fail before you FINALLY get it that #! WR's are NOT a necessity to have a championship caliber team. I am LITERALLY YELLING AT MY LAPTOP, I am so angry.

We proport to have one of the most intelligent fan bases, posting on a site that caters to the best of this football savvy group, and yet we STILL get these endless discussions about freakin' #1 WR's. and the need to have them. I have no words any more.. I just have no more words.

I mean would I like to have the best WR in the league on my team. Sure I would. Would I trade him in an instant for the 5th best DLman in the league. You're damned straight I would.

Some time during the dead time that is the next 3 months I will fully expound on this topic AGAIN, but now I need to take something for my blood pressure......and I have low blood pressure.
If they want(ed) JMac back, it'd be an easy get, I'm sure. They didn't even draft a corner in a deep class.

They clearly think highly of either Bryant or Williams.

If they want(ed) JMac back, it'd be an easy get, I'm sure. They didn't even draft a corner in a deep class.

They clearly think highly of either Bryant or Williams.
or they are considering signing Sherman or one of the available corners

or Belichick though that it was more important to help the front seven and draft a short distance RB.
============
What not signing a corner really meant is that Belichick wasn't trading Gilmore or Jackson.

or they are considering signing Sherman or one of the available corners

or Belichick though that it was more important to help the front seven and draft a short distance RB.
============
What not signing a corner really meant is that Belichick wasn't trading Gilmore or Jackson.
Would love Sherm on the team.

Would love Sherm on the team.
I would too. But does he want to play here? He turned down a chance to sign with Detroit in 2018, Matt Patricia’s debut season as their head coach, because he’s not into “the Patriot Way”.

Those similarities seem to have put off cornerback Richard Sherman, who was a Lions’ free agency target in 2018. The Lions offered him more, Sherman told The Athletic. But he picked San Francisco.

“But that’s not the kind of football I want to play,” Sherman said, via The Athletic. “The way you run their scheme, your culture. You want to do it the Patriots’ way and that’s really not the way I do football.

I would be floored if Harry ever resembles a starting caliber WR. I think he clearly is what he is. A soft excuse maker who cannot get separation consistently or get YAC. They blew that pick. Reportedly because Bill did not listen to his scouts.

Another contender for dumbest statement of the year.

The only reason Harry was rated so high is because some scouts seemingly must have loved him and rated him accordingly. Otherwise he wouldn't have been up the board that far up in the first place. The draft is a collaborative effort and it is normal that scouts and coaches will have differing opinions on players.

But the days of winning deep into the playoffs on D alone are over.
I would too. But does he want to play here? He turned down a chance to sign with Detroit in 2018, Matt Patricia’s debut season as their head coach, because he’s not into “the Patriot Way”.

Those similarities seem to have put off cornerback Richard Sherman, who was a Lions’ free agency target in 2018. The Lions offered him more, Sherman told The Athletic. But he picked San Francisco.

“But that’s not the kind of football I want to play,” Sherman said, via The Athletic. “The way you run their scheme, your culture. You want to do it the Patriots’ way and that’s really not the way I do football.
Add another insight into the myriad factors that play into building a team - whether draft or free agency: there are indeed players that don't just sign the highest offer regardless of how much it might be or might make it known during pre-draft interviews that they aren't a good fit for the franchise effectively removing them from selection consideration.

We fans overestimate the "ease" in which the process works "Patriots must sign player X - just throw as much money as it takes at them - Kraft is rich right?" or "Add as many future #1s as it takes, the Pats have to have draftee Y!" Nothing will tear a team apart faster than a conglomeration of players thrown together based primarily on money and pre-draft status.

Entitlement and "me first" are cancerous. Not saying that past and current members weren't self-focused - they have to be to some extent, but it wasn't the primary methodology of team building - finding those self-promoting divas with the big name attributes - and getting them at any cost to satisfy fans instant (purely number-based or name-based) gratification.

Richard Sherman was a great player - still a very good one - but he needs a team and coach that is much more laissez faire allowing him full freedom to do what "he" wants regardless of the rest of the team (which can also do what they want - which isn't culture, it's individuality). That's the only way he'll be comfortable and vice versa.

We proport to have one of the most intelligent fan bases, posting on a site that caters to the best of this football savvy group, and yet we STILL get these endless discussions about freakin' #1 WR's. and the need to have them. I have no words any more.. I just have no more words.

Says who ?

Whats obvious is that it is one of the most entitled and spoiled fanbases in sports that willingly eats up all the clickbait and controversial takes from one of the worst sports "journalism" environments in the country. People here have lost perspective what success and enjoying a game means, and the only thing that seemingly matters are titles which is absolutely batshit crazy and a recipe to become a bitter and unhappy fan and person.

8 more pages of people using "But they didn't win the SB" as an incredibly lame excuse to dismiss the issue...
Others with more time and knowledge than I have broken it down in more detail. The gist of it is BB doesn't put all his eggs in one basket...

1 basket gets injured - you're screwed
2 D takes that basket away - you're screwed
3 basket becomes a diva and unbalances the locker room - you're screwed

I watch the NFL for entertainment and would love us to have a Hopkins, but I cannot understand those that think it's a "need" unless their definition of need is not only to win multiple Superbowls, but also to do it throwing only deep bombs... :rofl:

Says who ?

Whats obvious is that it is one of the most entitled and spoiled fanbases in sports that willingly eats up all the clickbait and controversial takes from one of the worst sports "journalism" environments in the country. People here have lost perspective what success and enjoying a game means, and the only thing that seemingly matters are titles which is absolutely batshit crazy and a recipe to become a bitter and unhappy fan and person.
Hence the word :"proport". ;)

AGAIN..... How many times have we talked about and agreed that what the Pats do WAS NOT FOR EVERYONE. That didn't make them bad people or players. It simply made them bad fits for THIS particular program. We've been saying this (again) for close to 2 DECADES. Jeeeeees I can't believe this crap pops up here over and over, like someone made some critical discovery. "behold world. I have just discovered (wait for it).....WATER" :rolleyes:

Others with more time and knowledge than I have broken it down in more detail. The gist of it is BB doesn't put all his eggs in one basket...

1 basket gets injured - you're screwed
2 D takes that basket away - you're screwed
3 basket becomes a diva and unbalances the locker room - you're screwed

I watch the NFL for entertainment and would love us to have a Hopkins, but I cannot understand those that think it's a "need" unless their definition of need is not only to win multiple Superbowls, but also to do it throwing only deep bombs... :rofl:
BB put all his eggs in the Tom Brady basket. Try again.

BB put all his eggs in the Tom Brady basket. Try again.

I think there's a fairly big difference in those philosophies when you're talking about QB vs. WR. A QB is both more protected, and you can only have one on the field at a time anyway. So while you're still an injury away from disaster, you also have very little you can do with the depth before that happens. Having depth at WR not only protects against the eggs scenario, but also opens up more versatile playcalling options in the meantime.

I think they may re-sign Damiere Byrd. He's not a #1 but can play there / WR1 to pull defenders downfield to help open up other areas like the middle of the field.
I was hoping he'd stick too, but he's in DET now.

AGAIN..... How many times have we talked about and agreed that what the Pats do WAS NOT FOR EVERYONE. That didn't make them bad people or players. It simply made them bad fits for THIS particular program. We've been saying this (again) for close to 2 DECADES. Jeeeeees I can't believe this crap pops up here over and over, like someone made some critical discovery. "behold world. I have just discovered (wait for it).....WATER" :rolleyes:
I love the player and think Sherman will be good for a couple more years at least...but he doesn't fit the way the Pats play defense and I don't see BB going for +30 players unless it's a DT or a value too special to ignore.

Says who ?

A) We had the best team, coach and quarterback for 20 years.

B) We continually said that we were the best team.

therefore

C) We have been the most intelligent fan base. After all, it take a genius to figure out that we have been the best team.

I think there's a fairly big difference in those philosophies when you're talking about QB vs. WR. A QB is both more protected, and you can only have one on the field at a time anyway. So while you're still an injury away from disaster, you also have very little you can do with the depth before that happens. Having depth at WR not only protects against the eggs scenario, but also opens up more versatile playcalling options in the meantime.
I appreciate your trying to come to Bourne Patriots's rescue, but I'm not going to allow for goalpost moving on such an obvious misstatement.

I appreciate your trying to come to Bourne Patriots's rescue, but I'm not going to allow for goalpost moving on such an obvious misstatement.
Doesn't almost every NFL team, and certainly almost every good NFL team, put all of their eggs in one basket at the QB position? QB plays every snap unless garbage or gimmick time, after all.

I agree that QB is a separate case from any other position on the field.

A) We had the best team, coach and quarterback for 20 years.

B) We continually said that we were the best team.

therefore

C) We have been the most intelligent fan base. After all, it take a genius to figure out that we have been the best team.
This is Fugazi. Who's we? Do you have 1/2 the posters on the website on ignore and can't read what they're saying?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back