PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still angry af over SB 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
After SB XLII, realized how difficult it is to be the best even though we expected a win.

SB LI made us believe that nothing was insurmountable for this team with #12 at the helm.

SB LII made us realize that what we believed in SB LI was not true...

2007 we got beat. It hurt but you can accept it.

This one? This one is still mystifying a lot of us. Even if you believe that Malcolm got drunk/high and then threatened a coach I'm not sure effectively punishing the whole team by playing Richards over Butler will ever sit right with me. Maybe a regular season game, but the playoffs or a goddamn SB?

That's Belichick, though. The hard-headedness that has made him great does have a downside. I'll take it considering I'm grateful for this run, but it still hurts.
Totally agree with you. I am still pissed about the loss in February (and frankly, I've lost a little respect for BB because IMO he let his ego get in the way of his usually brilliant game-day mind), but I find I don't have the same lasting grief over this loss like I did in 2007. And, I'm over that one, which I thought I'd never be.

Butler did something egregious to be benched.

Its Butlers fault alone why he did not play. BB did not deliberately sabotage the season. Belichick is all about the team first and Kraft has backed BB 100% on this Butler matter.

I was more down after the Pats lost to the Giants the second time. I though Brady was done. I had a long drive home from Indy to think about what had just happened.

I recommend buying one of those self righting children's punching bags and give it a few good ol bops.

And getting laid couldn't hurt.

You'nd I'ave evidently dated different kinds of women.
nyuknyuk.gif

Last edited:
I am not sure why anyone would apologize to TBSB5. As maust has pointed out he is nothing but a miserable, ****-stiring, pathetic troll.

Hey, a little respect for the effort, eh? That **** ain't gonna stir itself, buddy.
th_coffee.gif

Can’t say that I ever remember crying over losing a sporting event, but I do recall breathing into a Burger King bag that happened to be sitting on the table during the helmet catch drive.

And damn if my eyes don’t well up a bit sometimes during the replays of the SB51 comeback versus ATL. :cool:

I don't exactly get teary-eyed, but I do get a special feeling, watching SuperBowl 51 ~ if you know what I'm saying and I think that you do ~ That's not gay, is it?
huh.gif

I was more down after the Pats lost to the Giants the second time. I though Brady was done. I had a long drive home from Indy to think about what had just happened.

Stop yer *****in. It coulda been worse.

You could've had a long drive home to Indy. :eek:

Yowza, Yowza. On fire this mornin'!!
eusa_dance.gif

2007 we got beat. It hurt but you can accept it.

This one? This one is still mystifying a lot of us. Even if you believe that Malcolm got drunk/high and then threatened a coach I'm not sure effectively punishing the whole team by playing Richards over Butler will ever sit right with me. Maybe a regular season game, but the playoffs or a goddamn SB?

That's Belichick, though. The hard-headedness that has made him great does have a downside. I'll take it considering I'm grateful for this run, but it still hurts.
Richards didn’t play over butler. Richards played the same role he played all year, not butlers.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think it was necessarily a decision to play Richards over Butler. Jordan Richards received approx. 15 or so snaps per game in 2017, so I believe that he actually received less reps in the SB than what he was averaging throughout the year.

Where Richards really stuck out was when one of the DBs got hurt for a handful of plays (Chung or Bademosi—can’t remember) and he was forced to cover one of their roles, which he failed miserably at. So, ultimately, I think it was a decision to play Eric Rowe over Butler, and I’ve just never been much of a fan of Rowe. As we know, choosing Rowe over Butler had the terrible trickle down effect of forcing different mismatches and looks that Philly may not have been able to exploit had Malcolm played, and I think that’s probably your main point.

Not meaning to nitpick. Just trying to get some clarification. It should also be noted that I haven’t put myself through the torture of rewatching it again, so my memory may be incorrect.
It’s not really Rowe over butler, it was using big nickel exclusively over a combination of big nickel and regular nickel.
If it was about personnel not scheme then bademosi would have played 40-45 snaps at nickel and the matchups would have been what they were in reg nickel all year.
It’s really a misstatement that the matchups changed too because we played those matchups all season in big nickel and we played a lot of big nickel.
Butler sitting didn’t change anything other than Rowe was the cb2 and bademosi the cb3.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think it was necessarily a decision to play Richards over Butler. Jordan Richards received approx. 15 or so snaps per game in 2017, so I believe that he actually received less reps in the SB than what he was averaging throughout the year.

Where Richards really stuck out was when one of the DBs got hurt for a handful of plays (Chung or Bademosi—can’t remember) and he was forced to cover one of their roles, which he failed miserably at. So, ultimately, I think it was a decision to play Eric Rowe over Butler, and I’ve just never been much of a fan of Rowe. As we know, choosing Rowe over Butler had the terrible trickle down effect of forcing different mismatches and looks that Philly may not have been able to exploit had Malcolm played, and I think that’s probably your main point.

Not meaning to nitpick. Just trying to get some clarification. It should also be noted that I haven’t put myself through the torture of rewatching it again, so my memory may be incorrect.

So I wrote that deliberately and anticipated some questions. The way I see it Rowe over Butler was ok and possibly what they had been practicing all along regardless of Butler's flu because of matchups. I think Rowe gets way too much heat for his play. That TD was the exact type of play we had seen Butler get victimized by all year (great throw + great catch)

When it was clear Richards was struggling that was when it became time to put in someone else and with Butler's ability to tackle I think he would have been a better choice.

I think the main reason why I was able to move on from this one as quickly as I did is because we really didn't play well, didn't deserve to win. Philly played better, and wanted it more. We weren't robbed. We were just outplayed. I can live with that.

You're not exactly wrong, but you didn't need to make this a thread.

What’s an “angry af”? This?.....:mad:

Please don’t tell me people actually say “af” in place of after! My guess is that’s a texting term...which doesn’t work in real conversation or posting

Last edited:
If there's one legitimate gripe that I have over that game, it's that the league and the refs changed how they interpreted the catch rule without advising anyone. Just sometime in the two weeks prior to the game, they decided internally they would modify the way it was called without advising anyone. It directly affected the Clement TD, which wasn't a TD all season long except in the biggest game.

But overall, it didn't matter, the Eagles rightfully won. In a one-game playoff, the best team doesn't always win. But the team that executes the best that day does, and they deserved it.

They had a good gameplan, they bled the clock all game to limit total possessions, they took chances to maximize their odds, then they actually hit on them. They did everything the right way to try and take out a favourite, they deserved to win.

We

G0t beat

By a better

Team.

Buy a hammer, build a bridge and get over it.

What’s an “angry af”? This?.....:mad:

Please don’t tell me people actually say “af” in place of after! My guess is that’s a texting term...which doesn’t work in real conversation or posting
No, the “af” stands for an abbreviation of two words. The first word is “as.” Angry as___. I’ll let your imagination decipher what the “f” stands for.

I don't exactly get teary-eyed, but I do get a special feeling, watching SuperBowl 51 ~ if you know what I'm saying and I think that you do ~ That's not gay, is it?
huh.gif
It’s the furthest thing from gay that a man can be, Grid. :cool:

@convertedpatsfan The change wasn’t for the SB, it was for the entire playoffs.

It was clear they were using a different standard on replays all playoffs long.

Ironically, it was the standard they should have been using for the regular season.

All season long Riveron was clearly using an “illegal” standard and it’s pretty obvious someone told him to cut it out for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back