PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stidham haters know more than James White!

You’re assuming that the only way to evaluate a quarterback in the NFL is for that to be on TV in front of fans.
I have definitely chosen to evaluate Cam that way and I have found him wanting. Just play Stidham or even Hoyer, anybody but Cam.

I have definitely chosen to evaluate Cam that way and I have found him wanting. Just play Stidham or even Hoyer, anybody but Cam.
"mene mene tekel upharsin" Dan. 5

I wonder how many pick 6’s Stid will throw to that Bills secondary.

Two? Or more than that?
If he plays the whole game, I'm sure he'll throw at least 2 INT's. But that's not the issue. I've never said Stid will be Aaron "freaking" Rogers, he'll be a 1st year player in his first start - there will be mistakes. And maybe he can't handle the offense and is released next camp. So what, at this moment, on this team, he should play. If they lose, if they get blown out - it'll still have been the right decision. Because it's been clear for 2 months now that Cam is not the answer for next year. BB needs to know if it's worth a roster spot and system continuity to keep Stid another year, as a backup, or to completely start fresh. Even if Stid starts the last 2 games, and surprises with great play, BB will still bring in a legit vet (Dalton, Jimmy) and draft a 1-2 rounder. I'm all for the best possible option going forward. But this week, "the best thing for the football team" is to play Stid. Period.

So, how do you like them apples? I've said it a hundred times, there's lots of organizational reasons why BB has started Cam all year. But, none systematically exclude Stid from being a better passer, more accurate, and even better fit in the standard JMD offense than Cam.........
......except maybe averaging 1 INT for every 5 completions.

Sidebar
Your enthusiasm for all things Stidham compels me to ask: Are you Kennedy Stidham's selfie stick with internet access?

It's hilarious that fans think Jimmy G is somehow coming through that door. The 9ers aren't going to walk away from him yet and if they traded him this offseason they'd be selling low, and with not much in the way of a replacement plan. Besides the fans still adore him.

I think Dalton's our man, with Brissett as a second option.

If he plays the whole game, I'm sure he'll throw at least 2 INT's. But that's not the issue. I've never said Stid will be Aaron "freaking" Rogers, he'll be a 1st year player in his first start - there will be mistakes. And maybe he can't handle the offense and is released next camp. So what, at this moment, on this team, he should play. If they lose, if they get blown out - it'll still have been the right decision. Because it's been clear for 2 months now that Cam is not the answer for next year. BB needs to know if it's worth a roster spot and system continuity to keep Stid another year, as a backup, or to completely start fresh. Even if Stid starts the last 2 games, and surprises with great play, BB will still bring in a legit vet (Dalton, Jimmy) and draft a 1-2 rounder. I'm all for the best possible option going forward. But this week, "the best thing for the football team" is to play Stid. Period.
Stidham is not a 1st year player. And I really can’t see the pats giving him a tryout as a backup - that’s something that has never been done here under BB and I doubt it starts now. The backup will be a vet it won’t be Stidham.

Starting him now isn’t the right or wrong decision it’s playing out the string and nothing more. Stid had his chance and by all reports from guys like Curran the team doesn’t feel any differently about him now than they did a year ago. That’s not good news for a second year QB who fans think is the heir to Brady...

Last edited:
Stidham is not a 1st year player. And I really can’t see the pats giving him a tryout as a backup - that’s something that has never been done here under BB and I doubt it starts now. The backup will be a vet it won’t be Stidham.

Starting him now isn’t the right or wrong decision it’s playing out the string and nothing more. Stid had his chance and by all reports from guys like Curran the team doesn’t feel any differently about him now than they did a year ago. That’s not good news for a second year QB who fans think is the heir to Brady...

Maybe you are right. But at least we need to see if he is at least worth as a backup. If he is that bad, then its on Bill not to even have option 2 after cam. We can't be in the season with no alternative. Play Jake dolegala at least. Playing cam seems like a secret agreement between two parties without any benefit to the team.

And to be honest stidham did not get a fair chance and to the casual eyes he looked much better than cam in limited opportunities. And I am sure many fans feel like that. Playing cam over stidham seems for non football reasons . Don't see bills rationale to play cam even in inconsequential games. Does not seem to be in teams best interests.

There is a possibility that stidham can show some sparks whereas cam is shot and done.

Someone says his teammate is good, take that atheists!

I can't count how many times I've seen the ignorant comments saying "if Stidham was a better option, he'd be playing"
What a damning indictment of BB the coach, stubbornly refusing to start the better option at QB. Kraft should fire BB for that if it were so.

I was with you right up until you said Hoyer. Cam's foibles are at least entertaining.

It's hilarious that fans think Jimmy G is somehow coming through that door. The 9ers aren't going to walk away from him yet and if they traded him this offseason they'd be selling low, and with not much in the way of a replacement plan. Besides the fans still adore him.

I think Dalton's our man, with Brissett as a second option.
If it's Dalton, I'll DVR the games and only start watching if the team is winning, which it will not be with Dalton.

Except BB has a history of redshirting RBs -- which is what makes Michel's rookie season partly so impressive -- and thus has absolutely nothing to do with how he'd treat a QB in a year where the offense can't get anything going.

If Stidham had given the coaches any reason to start -- or at least play -- him so far he would have gotten time on the field. I don't get why people just ignore the obvious explanation that stares them right in their face.
Maybe instead of calling it Occam's Razor, we can call it Gillete's Razor?

Dalton is not really an upgrade over cam.

If they’re going to go that route with that kind of QB I would much rather get Fitz here.

I can't count how many times I've seen the ignorant comments saying "if Stidham was a better option, he'd be playing" or "BB and the coaches know that Stidham isn't ready, and never will be", and even "Stidham doesn't have the talent or ability to be on the roster".

Enter James White - who knows a little more than you about football - just took the opportunity to give Stid some serious support.
“Jarrett is a good football player... Obviously, you could tell that coming in his rookie year learning and things of that nature. He has all the talent he needs to be successful in this league and I am sure he’s probably excited for whenever he gets the opportunity to step out there and I think he will be great whenever he does.”
With all due respect, it is foolhardy to take something a teammate says about the player and attribute that as being gospel truth. Seriously.... if some media guy asks White about Stidham, what do you think he is going to say? "Well, clearly he's not good enough to start.... in fact we all think he is horrible....."

There is no voice louder than that of whom the coach actually starts and plays on Sunday afternoon. And right now, that person is an atrocious Cam Newton.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Here is my thing with Stidham. From all the game actions that we have seen of him, he doesn't look all that good. Granted, the KC game, for example, was a bit of a cluster and probably not the fairest way to evaluate him. My issue with playing Stidham this year has more to do with the team we have. This team has no weapons on offense. Stidham is not a guy who can generate yardages on his own like Cam, he needs his receivers/TE/RB to get open so he can throw them the football. With our skills position players being this bad, can Stidham really do much? If all we are doing is throwing Stidham out there to get killed, then does that really benefit him or us? As bad as Cam is, and he is bad, some of the drives we have wouldn't go as far without him running the ball himself.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Here is my thing with Stidham. From all the game actions that we have seen of him, he doesn't look all that good. Granted, the KC game, for example, was a bit of a cluster and probably not the fairest way to evaluate him. My issue with playing Stidham this year has more to do with the team we have. This team has no weapons on offense. Stidham is not a guy who can generate yardages on his own like Cam, he needs his receivers/TE/RB to get open so he can throw them the football. With our skills position players being this bad, can Stidham really do much? If all we are doing is throwing Stidham out there to get killed, then does that really benefit him or us? As bad as Cam is, and he is bad, some of the drives we have wouldn't go as far without him running the ball himself.
Stidham has shown no progression from year 1 to year 2. QB1 entering camp and QB3 leaving it and he wasn’t very good in those practices. Huge red flag if they expected this guy to be the next great Pats QB.

The other issue is in September he will be 25 years old. That is way past the best before age for someone who deserves the benefit of the doubt as a young and up and coming QB prospect.

if cam gives you the best option then that's your fault bill. And if stidham isn't worth playing because of cam's ineptitude this year then that's on you as well.

when did he have a chance? he has never even practiced with the team prior to a game. the one start he got Cam got the practice week but could not go due to covid and Stidham started.

He was actually good against the rams. Even in face of pressure he was able to complete 2-3 darts. If cam had been longer he would have racked another 4 sacks and ended the drive quickly.

He looked good in preseason and there has never been a gameplan around his skills . If you ask him to come behind and play what do you expect.

This year he was injured , fell back o qv 3 due to the Texas wedding and Bill started hoyer against chiefs and refused to let stidham take charge even after first half.

If we say he is no good, there is nothing that is apparent to the eye when stidham played that he looked worse than cam or hover. He definitely looked more poised. Yes he has interceptions but every young player has the first year blues.

They are not even giving stidham the chances that minshew or Mullens got.

Yes we all have so far agreed to bill the coach we trust . But that was with brady in tandem. Now with losing season, screwed up drafts , cam looking like the worst qb , as a fan I am not able to see bills checker moves . Playing cam makes no sense. It need not be stidham, it can't be CAM. If we don't have a choice beyond cam then that's on Bill .

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back