PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stidham already back at it

I think there is a better chance that he is on a practice squad next year than him starting a game.
Yeah. If he's anything more than that with the Patriots- then IMO something has gone really wrong with our rebuild.

What makes you think he is a capable number 2? He didn't start when Cam missed the KC game. He didn't start down the stretch when Cam was playing some of the worst football I have ever seen from a QB. I don't hate the guy but I think it is pretty clear Bill thinks he can't play.
I still have hope for Stidham. He's new and has room to improve.
I think Bill was caught by surprise when Brady left and he knew that Stidham wasn't ready. That left us with Cant Newton.

What makes you think he is a capable number 2? He didn't start when Cam missed the KC game. He didn't start down the stretch when Cam was playing some of the worst football I have ever seen from a QB. I don't hate the guy but I think it is pretty clear Bill thinks he can't play.
Okay, adequate backup QB... it’s not like the guy was a #1 overall pick. I’d argue sticking on an NFL roster for 2 years as a 4th rounder is about average... not an “underachiever”

Sounds like more was at play vs KC...stid coming off injury and missing practice time. Hoyer had been in system longest. Fine. Stid was clearly back up to the #2 spot by end of season... but I think BB was sticking with Newton no matter what.

The INTs were not pretty, and he certainly has things to work on... but why bash him for starting his training early?? Isnt that what we want him to do?

We just watched Brady win a Super Bowl for another team. Depressing to think at one point the team actually thought this guy could be a better option.
Jarrett Stidham- "Painted Bird" Patriots

For all the haters

Stidham panning out and us using our 1st round on a non-QB > having to roll the dice on a QB in the 1st

Last edited:
I still have hope for Stidham. He's new and has room to improve.
I think Bill was caught by surprise when Brady left and he knew that Stidham wasn't ready. That left us with Cant Newton.
I will never buy that Bill was caught by surprise by Tom moving on.

Obviously Stidham isn't the QB of the future, but he still has the chance to be a solid back up. People forget that when he was drafted, the knock on him was that despite a lot of raw physical talent he was definitely a project and wasn't remotely NFL ready.

Maybe last year was a wake up call and he can dedicate himself and turn it around and become even a good starter some day.

Still can't discount the effects of no camp on development

once the regular season came into play.....how many 1st team reps was he getting......

he'll be here this year.......as the #2 more than likely, with a mariota-type above him, and another 3-4 rounder behind him

I don't get the issue some folk seem to have with a player showing a bit of dedication to his craft and trying to get better?

I will never buy that Bill was caught by surprise by Tom moving on.
If that's true then why didn't we have a backup? Did he really think that Hoyer or Stidham was okay as the QB?

Okay, adequate backup QB... it’s not like the guy was a #1 overall pick. I’d argue sticking on an NFL roster for 2 years as a 4th rounder is about average... not an “underachiever”

Sounds like more was at play vs KC...stid coming off injury and missing practice time. Hoyer had been in system longest. Fine. Stid was clearly back up to the #2 spot by end of season... but I think BB was sticking with Newton no matter what.

The INTs were not pretty, and he certainly has things to work on... but why bash him for starting his training early?? Isnt that what we want him to do?
I agree with you on the basing of Stidham. I don't really get the vitriol that comes his way. He hasn't looked great in limited action but I haven't seen anything about him not being a hard worker. He might not be very good but it doesn't seem like it's for lack of trying.

Trolling your own forum? :D :rofl: :D
Having an opinion that isn't positive on the Patriots isn't always trolling, contrary to what many homers on here think. You can be a fan and also be critical of one of the worst personnel decisions in the history of Boston/New England sports.

I think there's something in between "This guy sucks and no one should waste time on him" and "He's working hard because he's going to be the starter this year".

We saw a few situations this past year where third string QB's had to play snaps. Right now, unless we draft a QB, sign TWO FA QB's, OR the practice squad guy ascends quickly, there's no way Stidham with two years in the system isn't at least our third best guy in the room. I like that he's working hard because I want him ready in whatever role he ends up in.

But aside from that, if we end up drafting a QB high that we see as the future, you want him to have to beat guys out to EARN the starting spot. I don't want to draft Jones (as an example) and then not have anyone remotely capable of being better than him in week 1. I want a veteran that can show him the ropes, plus maybe Stidham to show him what it takes to be a rookie QB on a Belichick team. That gives the kid two people that have a head start on him who he has to outwork and outplay to get on the field, which will make him a better QB long term.

Hell, I want every player on this team working on their craft in the offseason. Even the ones who won't make the team, the more competition there is in different position groups, the better the cream that rises to the top.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back