PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

steve smith sr. says tom brady > aaron rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% agree Staubach is criminally underrated. I have him 3rd best all time but no worse than 5-6 Clearly ahead of Favre and Rodgers (for now)

#1 Brady #2 Montana #3 Staubach. They are in a category by themselves imo when you look at SB era QBs.

peyton manning is well ahead of staubach. i know we ridicule peyton manning, but he is one of the greatest player we've ever seen. i'll take peyton manning over staubach easily. just a much better passer than staubach ever was. yes, the big knock on peyton manning is his playoff performance. IMO, peyton manning is the victim of his own genius. dude is a control freak. his offense is a precision timing offense and in playoff timing goes out the window. and colts built a soft team around him.

IMO

1. brady
2. manning
3. montana
4. marino
5. rodgers (eventually rodgers will be #2 IMO)

i'm a believer that today's players are better the players of the past. IMO, montana is somewhat overrated because him going 4-0. honestly, i don't know how niners not got to the SB every year. that team was beyond loaded.

staubach can't touch rodgers in terms of arm strength and throwing an accurate ball on the run. sorry 70's guys were good in 70's. it's 2017. dudes are just better now.

Favre and elway IMO are equally talented than rodgers IMO. but elway wasn't as accurate as rodgers.

Favre had better arm than rodgers IMO, but rodgers have better feet. favre's greatest strength is his instinct, but that's also his downfall. favre could create something out of nothing better than anybody but he also gambles too much because he believes he can make all the throw at anytime.

Rodgers' greatest strength is ability throw an accurate ball on the run when he isn't even stepping up to throw the ball.

so bottom line rodgers is up there with anybody in terms of physical talent.

and the one who brought up marino - marino is the greatest pure passer of all time. but he was very slow.

Staubach took hits that don't occur in Rodgers nightmares.

peyton manning is well ahead of staubach. i know we ridicule peyton manning, but he is one of the greatest player we've ever seen. i'll take peyton manning over staubach easily. just a much better passer than staubach ever was. yes, the big knock on peyton manning is his playoff performance. IMO, peyton manning is the victim of his own genius. dude is a control freak. his offense is a precision timing offense and in playoff timing goes out the window. and colts built a soft team around him.

IMO

1. brady
2. manning
3. montana
4. marino
5. rodgers (eventually rodgers will be #2 IMO)

i'm a believer that today's players are better the players of the past. IMO, montana is somewhat overrated because him going 4-0. honestly, i don't know how niners not got to the SB every year. that team was beyond loaded.

Winning % reg season

Brady .779
Staubach .745
Montana .713
Manning .702
Roethlisberger .672
Rogers .667

You guys haven't seen enough football.

BTW Staubach missed 5 years serving in the Navy that delayed his career.

Last edited:
"That little Unicorn group he got going there" lol

Staubach took hits that don't occur in Rodgers nightmares.

70's dudes were much smaller. dallas clark would be one of the bigger olineman. and dudes were roided up back then.

game is much much faster now than ever before. if brady played in the 70's he won't put up better stats, he would still destroy the league because game is so much slower.

football is the game of speed. brady's great because he sees the entire field better than anybody else at a much faster processing speed. rodgers is no brady, but he is one of the smarter QB we have.

rewatch some of the 60's and 70's games. we just saw much faster game in bama vs. clemson.

One of the advantages of being older is that I had the good fortune to see every QB play since Johnny U. Forget about stats and looks. These are the top 10 that I would want on my team;
1 - Brady
2 - Montana
3 - Unitas
4 - Elway
5 - Marino
6 - Starr
7 - Graham (I didn't see this guy but his number of titles is just too great to overlook)
8 - Staubach
9 - Aikman
10 - Bradshaw
Just outside the top ten are Stabler and Young.

But Rodgers can run! Well, except for 4th and 1.

i'm debating the pure physical talent, not just arm talent. marino is brady mold. great pocket passer. just don't have the wheels.

elway's bad accuracy is exaggerated. many of his inaccurate throws are results of bad chemistry and bad offense. frankly elway's early years remind me of 2013 brady or maybe even 2006. i'm not saying elway is brady, but he wasn't that bad of a passer. when shanny coached denver everything changed and elways at older age became much better at putting stats. elway didn't get magically better.

I remember Elway repeatedly driving the ball into the turf on simple passes, 7 or 8 yard slants. It wasn't miscommunication, it was serious problems. I saw him as very mediocre until the final 2 years.

70's dudes were much smaller. dallas clark would be one of the bigger olineman. and dudes were roided up back then.

game is much much faster now than ever before. if brady played in the 70's he won't put up better stats, he would still destroy the league because game is so much slower.

football is the game of speed. brady's great because he sees the entire field better than anybody else at a much faster processing speed. rodgers is no brady, but he is one of the smarter QB we have.

rewatch some of the 60's and 70's games. we just saw much faster game in bama vs. clemson.

I don't care that the players are bigger now, but Joe Kapp took repeated hits that would have 98% of today's QBs seeking retirement.

I don't care that the players are bigger now, but Joe Kapp took repeated hits that would have 98% of today's QBs seeking retirement.

I was in Utah the first few years of Elway's career and got all the donks games, when Elway came into the league he had no touch everything was thrown 100 mph.

Rodgers is the most physically talented QB I have ever seen. I wasn't born in the Marino years, but many have said is Marino and then Rodgers, but besides that point theres more to a QB than being physically gifted. What separates Brady from them all is his competitiveness and his will. He may not have the natural born talent or physical gifts other QBS have but he has the biggest heart I have ever seen a pro athlete have. I will also throw it out there he gets underrated a bit when it comes to his physical tools as well every year it seems he gets better his ball has more zip and that deep ball looks as beautiful as it did in 07. As BB says " there's no QB I'd rather have than Tom Brady"

( sorry for grammar typed this on phone )

I'm not sure what physically gifted really means when you're a QB. Obviously, if you are fast, etc., then yeah people like Cunningham, Vick and even Cam Newton qualify. Is it who throws the best ball? Um, maybe Jeff George? Who has the strongest arm? Jamarcus Nelson.

If it is who throws the ball incredibly quickly and accurately, then it is Dan Marino.

But there's so much more to it. Who moves the best around the pocket? Marino and Tom Brady.

Who is most like Marino in terms of throwing the ball well downfield accurately? Rodgers, and maybe Bret Favre right behind him.

If it is who combines all the things you want to see in a QB (movement around the pocket, quick release, accuracy, strong arm, reading and baiting the defense, poise, toughness, etc.)?

Brady, then Montana, and Marino in 3rd with Peyton Manning in 4th. I haven't seen Rodgers comman this part of the game yet.

Marino & Brady have a similar method of moving around while still in the pocket.

Last edited:
First on BSPN shows, now on Fox shows. Steve Smith really likes Tom Brady. I wonder if he regrets not taking that trip to Foxborough now.

He wanted to stay in the Mid-Atlantic area. [sigh]

The greatest QBs I've seen in my lifetime.

1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Manning
4. Brees
5. Warner

Last edited:
Manning had amazing touch on the football. Probably the best I have ever seen but he lacked the ability to throw the bullet pass. Brees and manning are very similar in terms of how they throw the ball.

Brady can throw the bullet, and as Brady's career has gone along he got better with the touch pass in fact he got better at everything and just continued to improve almost every year. Rodgers is very gifted he can make all kinds of throws and he has athleticism, but lacks the intangibles that Brady has.

I also think Brady can make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Also I would like to point out the obvious statement that Brady has benefited from having an all time great HOF head coach. Who made who?

70's players aren't just magically tougher and stronger than today's players. and they were able to do what they did on the field because most of them used steroids. steroids were used regularly in the nfl. it's well documented. it's like a drug. they were addicted in violence. roid rage was real.

obviously if today's greats play in the 70's career will be shorter. no doubt. but they would still destroy those teams. it's like current brady going back to michigan and playing against college kids. things would be so much easier for him because of how slow the games are.

and just imagine a guy like kam chancellor playing in the 70's. he would kill people.

Kam-Chancellor_Richard-Sherman_Seattle-Seahawks_TAO-Beach.jpg

back then there were DEs who were smaller than chancellor.

it's like usain bolt running against 70's sprinters. yeah, it's not a fair comparison because those 70's players never had a chance to have today's science and workouts.

Stop the goddamned lying. Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen were both 6'5 and 275. They were never accused of using steroids EVER. The players back then used greenies which made them nuts. Ray Nitschke was 6'3" and 245 pounds of ferocity that I personally have not seen in the NFL for decades.Give him 1/2 what Luke Kuechley used at BC and with the Panthers and he'd be all pro the next 100 friggin years.
The steroid use you are blatantly trying to straw man to buttress your stupid argument began in earnest in the late 70's, 80's. They have never gone away, their use has become refined to the point that , today, these players are using HGH isomers to stay one step ahead of the drug testing. You actually think Cam Chancellor's ligament and structural injuries are NOT due to supplemental substances? The whole goddamned world KNOWS that high school teams all over the nation indiscriminately use steroids to help players get into the bigtime college programs, programs that are professionally adept at hiding HGH.

Great players are great players ...period. Denigrating past performers because of your own generational bias is ridiculous and reveals a flaw in YOUR character more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes