PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

steve smith sr. says tom brady > aaron rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was this name given by the Patriot's white receivers ? If not, then I think it is wrong to refer to them as the Unicorn Group. It does not matter if it is harmful/humorous comment.

Watch the video. That's what he calls Brady's receiving corp... And he's being complimentary to Brady!

Was this name given by the Patriot's white receivers ? If not, then I think it is wrong to refer to them as the Unicorn Group. It does not matter if it is harmful/humorous comment.

I think it's awesome, and he's right, what other team has 3 white receivers ripping it up like these guys?

Watch the video. That's what he calls Brady's receiving corp... And he's being complimentary to Brady!

That's micro-aggression. I feel triggered.

Hug me.

I have watched some youtube vids of Smith Sr on these shows, he is funny straight up honest. IMO he will get a job as a broadcaster somewhere and be a good watch.

He would have been a good PAtriot IMO very smart.

I'm not sure what physically gifted really means when you're a QB. Obviously, if you are fast, etc., then yeah people like Cunningham, Vick and even Cam Newton qualify. Is it who throws the best ball? Um, maybe Jeff George? Who has the strongest arm? Jamarcus Nelson.

If it is who throws the ball incredibly quickly and accurately, then it is Dan Marino.

But there's so much more to it. Who moves the best around the pocket? Marino and Tom Brady.

Who is most like Marino in terms of throwing the ball well downfield accurately? Rodgers, and maybe Bret Favre right behind him.

If it is who combines all the things you want to see in a QB (movement around the pocket, quick release, accuracy, strong arm, reading and baiting the defense, poise, toughness, etc.)?

Brady, then Montana, and Marino in 3rd with Peyton Manning in 4th. I haven't seen Rodgers comman this part of the game yet.

He also called them "The Snowmen" if you want to get even more offended.

I'm not sure what physically gifted really means when you're a QB. Obviously, if you are fast, etc., then yeah people like Cunningham, Vick and even Cam Newton qualify. Is it who throws the best ball? Um, maybe Jeff George? Who has the strongest arm? Jamarcus Nelson.

If it is who throws the ball incredibly quickly and accurately, then it is Dan Marino.

But there's so much more to it. Who moves the best around the pocket? Marino and Tom Brady.

Who is most like Marino in terms of throwing the ball well downfield accurately? Rodgers, and maybe Bret Favre right behind him.

If it is who combines all the things you want to see in a QB (movement around the pocket, quick release, accuracy, strong arm, reading and baiting the defense, poise, toughness, etc.)?

Brady, then Montana, and Marino in 3rd with Peyton Manning in 4th. I haven't seen Rodgers comman this part of the game yet.

I think those things, "reading and baiting the defense, poise" would be the ones that are quite clearly not "physically gifted". Things like "pocket movement", knowing when/where to move, also probably count as mental aspects of the game.

Rodgers sucks on the road vs playoff caliber teams. He's a front runner and isn't in the conversation at all

In other news

Attachments

• IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 3

Roger Staubach was better than Aaron Rodgers. Favre and others.

First on BSPN shows, now on Fox shows. Steve Smith really likes Tom Brady. I wonder if he regrets not taking that trip to Foxborough now.

staubach can't touch rodgers in terms of arm strength and throwing an accurate ball on the run. sorry 70's guys were good in 70's. it's 2017. dudes are just better now.

Favre and elway IMO are equally talented than rodgers IMO. but elway wasn't as accurate as rodgers.

Favre had better arm than rodgers IMO, but rodgers have better feet. favre's greatest strength is his instinct, but that's also his downfall. favre could create something out of nothing better than anybody but he also gambles too much because he believes he can make all the throw at anytime.

Rodgers' greatest strength is ability throw an accurate ball on the run when he isn't even stepping up to throw the ball.

so bottom line rodgers is up there with anybody in terms of physical talent.

and the one who brought up marino - marino is the greatest pure passer of all time. but he was very slow.

First on BSPN shows, now on Fox shows. Steve Smith really likes Tom Brady. I wonder if he regrets not taking that trip to Foxborough now.

he's just telling the truth IMO. i'm sure most NFL players would say brady is #1.

anyway we all know brady's greatest strength is all mental. his ability to rise to the occasion, his passion, his toughness, leadership, intangibles and so on.

brady has a great arm too. brady is a prototypical pocket passer. brady is that guy who should be on the pocket passing 101 dvd. but he doesn't compare with the likes of favre and rodgers in terms of pure physical talent. some of the favre's throw was insane.

staubach can't touch rodgers in terms of arm strength and throwing an accurate ball on the run. sorry 70's guys were good in 70's. it's 2017. dudes are just better now.

Favre and elway IMO are equally talented than rodgers IMO. but elway wasn't as accurate as rodgers.

Favre had better arm than rodgers IMO, but rodgers have better feet. favre's greatest strength is his instinct, but that's also his downfall. favre could create something out of nothing better than anybody but he also gambles too much because he believes he can make all the throw at anytime.

Rodgers' greatest strength is ability throw an accurate ball on the run when he isn't even stepping up to throw the ball.

so bottom line rodgers is up there with anybody in terms of physical talent.

and the one who brought up marino - marino is the greatest pure passer of all time. but he was very slow.

Elway doesn't deserve to be in the conversation at all. Guy couldn't hit the broadside of the barn. He could probably put a hole in the wall of the shack standing next to the barn, but he was a spraygun back there.

I'm not sure why Marino's slowness of foot is relevant at all. The guy was incredible in terms of moving around the pocket--he was an expert at it. Agree that he is the greatest pure passer (which means he combines all of these physical elements like quick release, accuracy).

I know this is painful for many of us, but about Brady's arm, here's a 75 yard throw:

I don't feel the need to tear down Rodgers to push up Brady. Rodgers is a HOF QB. By the time he is done he will likely be a first ballet HOFer and I will be shocked if he doesn't win 1 more ring before he is done.

He will need more help than he has right now though particularly on D.

100% agree Staubach is criminally underrated. I have him 3rd best all time but no worse than 5-6 Clearly ahead of Favre and Rodgers (for now)

Rodgers' greatest strength is ability throw an accurate ball on the run when he isn't even stepping up to throw the ball. so bottom line rodgers is up there with anybody in terms of physical talent.

Yes Staubach was not as talented as Rodgers but he was super talented. I think when it comes to great QBs only Young, Elway and Rodgers are more physically gifted than Rodger Dodger.

Also you need to grade guys within the context of their era just a bit. I think yes guys in the 70s are worse than today but when you talk about all time greatness you need to give way on that a bit. Staubach was modern enough. I can safely say if he was born 20 years later he would have been an all time great cause he would have been able to train better. Dude had a ton of drive, heart and physical talent. Also he has a clutch and field vision edge on most other top QBs.

Dude had a short career but went 85-29, Went to 4 SBs and won 2 and finished his career with an 83.8 passer rating in the 70s era which is very very good. He lead the league in passer rating 4 times.

He was a proven winner, clutch, a great passer and could run some when needed.

He simply had the bad luck to have a short career (cause he served his country) and a lot of stacked teams standing in his way.

#1 Brady #2 Montana #3 Staubach. They are in a category by themselves imo when you look at SB era QBs.

Last edited:
As for the thread convo I will say this.

The problem lies in the question really. All time Brady no question?

Right now? You can answer. Both are playing at a near unstoppable level. Rodgers and Brady are both playing some of the best football of their lives. Rodger's looks more impressive but both are effective.

Rodgers is simply beating people with his physical ability.
Brady is simply bearing people with his mental ability.

I think the first to slip will be Rodgers cause it is just harder to keep that up. Also it depends on your WRs being able to win by themselves. When they didn't in the first half the Giants kicked their butts but 2 plays managed to give GB the lead. The hail mary was dumb luck and dumb D. That shows even if Rodgers tries to out play guys he needs other plays to win by themselves or it is meaningless.

This is why I would rather have Brady. He wins by making sure everything is in position to win on the play. It adjust as needed protection and routes and the WRs adjust as well.

He doesn't need his WRs to out talent people he just needs them to be in sync with him and he can throw them open if need be or pick the soft spot on the D.

Elway doesn't deserve to be in the conversation at all. Guy couldn't hit the broadside of the barn. He could probably put a hole in the wall of the shack standing next to the barn, but he was a spraygun back there.

I'm not sure why Marino's slowness of foot is relevant at all. The guy was incredible in terms of moving around the pocket--he was an expert at it. Agree that he is the greatest pure passer (which means he combines all of these physical elements like quick release, accuracy).

i'm debating the pure physical talent, not just arm talent. marino is brady mold. great pocket passer. just don't have the wheels.

elway's bad accuracy is exaggerated. many of his inaccurate throws are results of bad chemistry and bad offense. frankly elway's early years remind me of 2013 brady or maybe even 2006. i'm not saying elway is brady, but he wasn't that bad of a passer. when shanny coached denver everything changed and elways at older age became much better at putting stats. elway didn't get magically better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back