PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Belichick interviewing for College Job

The DC title would likely have gone to Mayo though, who was the one who was actually getting screwed out of the title.

Steve was a good play caller. Hopefully he keeps progressing up the ranks.
Mayo and SB were clearly on different career tracks. SB has 10 years of coaching experience at various positions while Mayo was on the Assistant HC track.

Mayo and SB were clearly on different career tracks. SB has 10 years of coaching experience at various positions while Mayo was on the Assistant HC track.
And that’s why Mayo had multiple HC interviews the last few years while Steve hasn’t had 1?

And that’s why Mayo had multiple HC interviews the last few years while Steve hasn’t had 1?
Yes because you wouldn’t hire a positional coach to be an HC.

season 15 episode 21 GIF
He went on to work for the state of Mass as a toll collector on the Pike. The drivers called him a "1 armed Bandit" because the road was never fixed, but always under construction. 10 workers out there and only 2 working.

Finally it was just too much and he moved to Vegas.

Assistant HC track; what does that even mean? Lol

Assistant HC track; what does that even mean? Lol
LOL

It means being an NFL Head Coach instead of a college Defensive Coordinator.

He was never staying in New England to take a demotion, now we actually see how good Steve and Mayo are a coaches, people just assumed Mayo is better because he was a player and not Bills kid but now we get to see it play out and see for ourselves.

He was always going to have to go his own way if he wanted to move up the coaching ladder and be taken seriously as a coach.

This is correct. Without BB and SB it will be interesting to see if Mayo and Covington hold the defense together. There are a lot of top defensive FAs, unlike on offense, and the Pats are in the best cap position in the NFL over the next 3 years. No reason the Pats can't be a top 5 defense next year. We will see if Mayo and Covington manage the defense properly.

When BB was fired, you posted that it was your happiest day as a Patriots fan post-Brady. You've obsessively dumped on the man, his sons and others in his direct orbit for years. Just own it, you fool no one.
I'm also happy that Bill's gone but I never knew enough about Steve to have much of an opinion on him. I actually came to this thread this morning to learn more about the kid.

Lombardi, Halas, Belichick, Brown, Shula, Noll, Gibbs, Landry, Lambeau, Walsh. In no particular order.
What hurt Lombardi was starting late and dying early. He squeezed 5 titles into 10 seasons and his winning % is off the charts.

Could you please not call him Stump?

The reason why is there was a kid in Woburn who got his arm caught in a pop machine and they had to cut is arm off at the elbow. All the others kids called him Stump after that. Sad story.
My HS had a one-armed center on the football team a few years after I left.

pro tip

loose vs lose ... "lose" the extra o for "lose"
I hope I don't lose the game because my pants are too loose.

I enjoyed the game before it has moved more towards favoring offense.

Back to HC's - they all need a QB to succeed. Walsh had a 8-24 record (2-6 record with Montana) before they started their run in 1981. I've seen him somehow getting a pass on here. This was before my time as I was just born. But for the guys that watched during that era, what was the outlook of the 49ers prior to the 1981 season? Also, while he's undefeated, he only went to 3 SB's to BB's 9. But I agree you can't rank Coach's just like players as they played in different era's with different rules.

Shula - only 2 losing seasons in 26 years, one undefeated season and 2-3 Super Bowl record.

Bill and Tom were the best in their era.
I despised the NFC fan back in the day and also didn't get to follow SF much so I can't help you there. But you said it all with the last six words, "Bill and Tom were the best in their era." That's exactly how to compare them to different eras too. By comparing how they did against their peers you get a fairly accurate picture of their strength. If Johnny Unitas was a top QB in the 60's with those rules he would have been one in the 90's with those rules too. Same for Vince Lombardi. Anything else is recency bias.

And even then we need to determine what's the best way to judge. Wins? Titles? How athletic they are? I like titles most of all and I get a kick out of fans who want to claim that one more title will get Mahomes/Ried close or the NBA fans who want to claim Jordan and Lebron are in the discussion for GOAT and together they don't have as many titles as Bill Russell.

I despised the NFC fan back in the day and also didn't get to follow SF much so I can't help you there. But you said it all with the last six words, "Bill and Tom were the best in their era." That's exactly how to compare them to different eras too. By comparing how they did against their peers you get a fairly accurate picture of their strength. If Johnny Unitas was a top QB in the 60's with those rules he would have been one in the 90's with those rules too. Same for Vince Lombardi. Anything else is recency bias.

And even then we need to determine what's the best way to judge. Wins? Titles? How athletic they are? I like titles most of all and I get a kick out of fans who want to claim that one more title will get Mahomes/Ried close or the NBA fans who want to claim Jordan and Lebron are in the discussion for GOAT and together they don't have as many titles as Bill Russell.
Basketball is little more individual but even then it isn't entirely fair to just use titles. That's a team thing.

And I mean we all can count if that's all it's about then what are we discussing.

Example for me there was a point in 04 during that 21 game streak where in my mind Brady was already a multi time champion and looked like he was headed to another and still had a very long career ahead and That's when I thought screw it this guys better than Montana.

He then obviously won his third. But then it was ten years, two appearances that ended in Ls, and an undefeated regular season but I still had to wait to 2014 to confirm what I already knew.

This is correct. Without BB and SB it will be interesting to see if Mayo and Covington hold the defense together. There are a lot of top defensive FAs, unlike on offense, and the Pats are in the best cap position in the NFL over the next 3 years. No reason the Pats can't be a top 5 defense next year. We will see if Mayo and Covington manage the defense properly.
There are things they should be able to do just as well, and things they won't be able to do.

Brian Flores had some success in both Miami and Minnesota.

But one thing Belichick said about coaching D that only comes with experience is the ability to know what NOT to practice because of limited practice time.

As well, the halftime or gametime adjustments may be really tough.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back