PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Belichick Accepts DC Job at U of Washington

Thats too bad. Would’ve loved for him to find some way to stick around. Comes off as an intelligent but socially awkward guy. Best of luck Steve. Thanks for everything!

This is a good move for him, contgratulations to him. He gets to start to build his own brand away from Bill, put an official DC title on his resume and work on his player communication with college kids.

Washington Huskies.

Just like BBs dog Nike.

An opportunity to add another experience to his resume..
He is still young and probably good he is moving out from the shadow of his father..
What about Brian Belichick, his brother??

Good move. Seems like a qualified coach. Best of luck to him.

Putting Bill not in NE aside, it’s quite bizarre how Covington leapfrogs Steve to get DC position. Maybe Steve was offered it, but turned it down.

He gets his shot to prove what he’s got. If he does a good job, he’ll be back in the NFL quickly.

Putting Bill not in NE aside, it’s quite bizarre how Covington leapfrogs Steve to get DC position. Maybe Steve was offered it, but turned it down.

He gets his shot to prove what he’s got. If he does a good job, he’ll be back in the NFL quickly.
Look what he did with that DL, though.

Sad to see his acumen leave the building. He was a pretty good playcaller and seemed to have a bit of his dad in him (from a schematic point of view). But happy for him to find a place where he can build his own reputation. Good luck Steve!

Pretty common now for a good coordinator candidates go to big time college programs for a a year or two. Daboll did that.

With Covington jumping up to the DC role, it was obvious Steve was on his way out the door (either because he turned down DC or because he wasn’t offered the title).

Say goodbye to the weird facial expressions guy!

Belichick-tonge-thing-hp.jpg

Shocked he couldn’t get a DC interview with another team.
Maybe he didn’t want to stay in the NFL right now?
Why? There was 0 chance any team would consider him for a DC. He is an unknown quantity. Don't care how you want to characterize his time here or the merit of it but no team was going to risk it when his entire resume has been working for his father.

Nobody could trust that for such an important role. Add to it that he got passed over twice by his own team and it is not at all surprising.

That’s what I’ve been thinking joined college with the idea if Bill gets a HC job he can pivot there.
Why? He would just delay the inevitable of having to prove himself outside his father's reach.

IMO he should have done this way sooner. I know it's pretty cool for a father and son to work together but eventually that cord had to get cut if he ever wanted a long career. He really should have moved on a couple years back.

I’m not. Think it’s a good move for him. Create and work on his own persona. Not sure if it’s true but I read he’s not a very big talker in a room or meetings? Hopefully this gives him a chance to work on that. Always nice to have a lifeline on any tips or questions to the greatest ever as well. I think he’ll do ok for himself.
Where did this come from? I think I heard him in one interview and he sounded fine to me.

He also seems to build good relationships with his players based on what Mayo and McCourtney have mentioned in interviews.

I figured the way it ended with his dad that it was unlikely he would come back even if he and Mayo are good friends. It is good for him to get a DC job away from his dad's shadow even if it is in college over the pros.
Even if he could get over his dad's firing I did not expect him to be ok to have 2 promoted and him demoted.

Also don't care how close he is to Mayo, I am sure he is happy Steve left. Mayo does need to worry about Belichick's shadow and he can also be his own guy as I am sure he was not very happy with having to split credit with Steve.

I am not saying this as a slight to Steve but just about having your own ownership of things. In fact I would not be surprised at all if neither of them were happy about the DC ambiguity that existed.

Even if he could get over his dad's firing I did not expect him to be ok to have 2 promoted and him demoted.

Also don't care how close he is to Mayo, I am sure he is happy Steve left. Mayo does need to worry about Belichick's shadow and he can also be his own guy as I am sure he was not very happy with having to split credit with Steve.

I am not saying this as a slight to Steve but just about having your own ownership of things. In fact I would not be surprised at all if neither of them were happy about the DC ambiguity that existed.
The proof will be in the pudding in the coming years as to who was responsible for the success of the defense or not.

Disclaimer: I’m a huge skeptic of Mayo’s ascension to HC in only five seasons. I hope he’s the real deal but it’s unprecedented.

Why? There was 0 chance any team would consider him for a DC. He is an unknown quantity. Don't care how you want to characterize his time here or the merit of it but no team was going to risk it when his entire resume has been working for his father.

Nobody could trust that for such an important role. Add to it that he got passed over twice by his own team and it is not at all surprising.
He took a job in College with number 2 ranked team in the country that wouldn't seem like he's that far off from getting a DC job in the pros. It would seem like he could benefit from some time on his own but I also think you're selling him a little short.

He took a job in College with number 2 ranked team in the country that wouldn't seem like he's that far off from getting a DC job in the pros. It would seem like he could benefit from some time on his own but I also think you're selling him a little short.
The hiring HC was a former NE coach on the staff at the same time as him. That connection was 100% behind that hire.

I am not trying to sell him short either. My point is that nobody in the NFL, outside those who worked with him, would offer him such a high position because he is an unknown entity. Nobody can tell for a fact whether he got that job because of his dad or merit. So nobody would take that risk because the consequences is their own failure possibly.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back