PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Belichick Accepts DC Job at U of Washington

He was never staying in New England to take a demotion, now we actually see how good Steve and Mayo are a coaches, people just assumed Mayo is better because he was a player and well liked and not Bills kid but now we get to see it play out and see for ourselves.

He was always going to have to go his own way if he wanted to move up the coaching ladder and be taken seriously as a coach.

He was never staying in New England to take a demotion, now we actually see how good Steve and Mayo are a coaches, people just assumed Mayo is better because he was a player and well liked and not Bills kid but now we get to see it play out and see for ourselves.
Different scenarios. Can't rightly compared a NFL HC role to a college DC role... not fair to Mayo to do that, who is starting a full blown rebuilding process... He's started strong with the staff hired... with Wolf running the personnel side, the coordinators have time to get up to speed and provide input on needs, I think we nail free agency & the draft... there might be a few growing pains, but overall, a bright future ahead...

He was always going to have to go his own way if he wanted to move up the coaching ladder and be taken seriously as a coach.
Yes, agreed.

Shocked he couldn’t get a DC interview with another team.
Maybe he didn’t want to stay in the NFL right now?
I’m not. Think it’s a good move for him. Create and work on his own persona. Not sure if it’s true but I read he’s not a very big talker in a room or meetings? Hopefully this gives him a chance to work on that. Always nice to have a lifeline on any tips or questions to the greatest ever as well. I think he’ll do ok for himself.

I like Steve although I’d say success as a NFL head coach versus success of being an defensive coordinator at the University of Washington is pretty dramatically different. Apples to oranges.

I wish the best for both.

I figured the way it ended with his dad that it was unlikely he would come back even if he and Mayo are good friends. It is good for him to get a DC job away from his dad's shadow even if it is in college over the pros.

Once someone else got the DC job, I figured he'd only stay here if he couldn't find something else. Realistically, for his career, he needs to get out from under his dad and make his own bones.

I wouldn’t have minded SB staying here as the DC but that wasn’t in the cards.

Honestly, this is the best move for him as a coach. He gets the opportunity to make a name for himself apart from his father and the Pats organization. He can set his own path now.

Congratulations and best of luck!

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back