PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers vs. Jets- which benefits the Patriots?(merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Steelers vs. Jets- which benefits the Patriots?(merged)

I think the Jets will put up a fight next Sunday

Now that the Jets have been humbled to the depths of the lowest kind,I can see them inspired to come out at Pittsburgh all fired up to dismiss word of their demise and eek out a low scoring win ..but it will have to be key turnovers to do it,I don't think Sanchez can beat that Pitt D on his own.

Watch for Holmes to play a role against his old team.

While Sanchez has struggled,it would be a HUGE mistake for Ryan to throw Brunell in there...I think Brunell is like 54 years old or something.

Last edited:
re: Steelers vs. Jets- which benefits the Patriots?(merged)

I think the Jets will put up a fight next Sunday
Nope!

Now that the Jets have been humbled to the depths of the lowest kind.
Kick 'em while they are down!

I can see them inspired to come out at Pittsburgh all fired up to dismiss word of their demise and eek out a low scoring win.
You been drinking?

I don't think Sanchez can beat that Pitt D on his own.
Sanchez sucks!

Watch for Holmes to play a role against his old team.
More likely to toke on the evil weed again!

ATTENTION: We're rooting for the Steelers next week, NOT the Jets

It's absurd anyone is even trying to make a case otherwise.

Next week will be the 15th of the NFL season. No matter what happens the Patriots can NOT clinch the #1 seed next week. They can only clinch the AFC East (& bye) which would be made possible by Jets losing. The EARLIEST they can clinch the #1 seed is in Week 16. If the Jets lose (+ Pats win) Sunday, then all they have to do in Week 16 is WIN. That's it. Win and you clinch. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE EASIER SCENARIO THAN THAT.

If the Steelers and Patriots both win next Sunday then the Pats next win will clinch the #1 seed.

Steelers beat Jets
Patriots beat Packers (home)
Patriots beat Dolphins OR Bills

And the Patriots have the #1 seed.

Again, there is NO easier scenario than that. Please stop with the "I'm rooting for the Jets" nonsense

Last edited:
Re: ATTENTION: We're rooting for the Steelers next week, NOT the Jets

Next week will be the 15th of the NFL season. No matter what happens the Patriots can NOT clinch the #1 seed next week. They can only clinch the AFC East (& bye) which would be made possible by Jets losing. The EARLIEST they can clinch the #1 seed is in Week 16. If the Jets lose (+ Pats win) Sunday, then all they have to do in Week 16 is WIN. That's it. Win and you clinch. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE EASIER SCENARIO THAN THAT.

If the Steelers and Patriots both win next Sunday then the Pats next win will clinch the #1 seed.

Steelers beat Jets

Again, there is NO easier scenario than that. Please stop with the "I'm rooting for the Jets" nonsense

eb1dbf05654e.gif

I'm rooting for a sink hole to swallow Heinz Field.. with both sides playing at the time.

I'm rooting for a sink hole to swallow Heinz Field.. with both sides playing at the time.

Of course with a Steelers victory first.

The Pats aren't losing 2 of their next 3 three. The #1 seed was for all intents and purposes locked up today. Yes, the unpredictable can happen, but I think the chances of Pitt winning out while the Pats drop 2 of 3 are extremely low.

I'm rooting for Big Ben to get jailsexed.

1) Whenever the Patriots have won the SB, they've done the job themselves; they don't rely on "help" from other teams.
2) I will not soil myself in this matter, ever. My Jets hatred trumps all other considerations.

Steelers beat Jets

How about a tie?

I was wondering this, if the Patriots have the same record as the Steelers and both have division leads, does that mean that the head to head match up versus the Steelers (a W in our case) guarantees us #1 seed?

I'd like to think that my rooting helps the outcome ... but it doesn't.

I don't really care what happens to the Jets as long as they're looking up at us it's all good.

I was wondering this, if the Patriots have the same record as the Steelers and both have division leads, does that mean that the head to head match up versus the Steelers (a W in our case) guarantees us #1 seed?

Yup, H2H is the tiebreaker.. so technically the Steelers are two games behind.

I dislike the Steelers but I'm more concerned with the division. Let's lock that baby up with a Jets loss, and then hope both NYJ and PIT faceplant the rest of the way.

I dislike the Steelers but I'm more concerned with the division. Let's lock that baby up with a Jets loss, and then hope both NYJ and PIT faceplant the rest of the way.

I'm actually hoping that Pittsburgh hangs around, and takes out the Colts/Chargers then come to Foxborough for the AFCCG and an asswhooping.

Last edited:

Steelers beat Jets

While everyone's visceral dislike of the Jets is very understandable, your "it is absurd" and "No easier scenario" statements are lacking foundation. The only way your post holds true is if the easiest path to the #1 seed is a 1 loss margin of error versus 2. Further, IF the Patriots lose to GB but Pitt loses to the Jets, we still clinch the #1 seed with a win over Buff. Conversely, if the Patriots lose to GB and Pitt beats the Jets, we must win our last 2 games (due to PItt's schedule).....meaning we cannot clinch #1 seed till the last game of the season against Miami (no resting of injuries).

Here are some facts to back that up. Currently:

- We beat out the Jets even by losing 2 more provided the losses aren't to Buff and Miami.

- We lose out to Pitt with ANY combination of 2 losses.

- Pittsburgh's remaining schedule, besides the Jets, is a terrible Carolina and a mostly bad Cleveland team that appears only to know how to beat the Patriots. If the Steelers beat the Jets they are a shoe in to end up 13-3.

- The Jets remaining schedule is against a very solid Chicago and a Buff that is proving to be playing better and tougher. The Jets are far from a shoe in to win both remaining games. We can expect help from the Jets losing (if we need it) but can expect no help from Pitt losing.

I don't think the Patriots will need it because I think they will win out (if Rodgers plays next week that could be our only slip up), however, I'd rather have the most favorable fall back plan. The most favorable fall back plan consists of the Jets beating Pitt and Pats clinching #1 seed against Buff (no matter what we do against GB).

I just hope Mr Polamalu reintroduces himself to Mr Holmes in a big way.

The Pats aren't losing 2 of their next 3 three. The #1 seed was for all intents and purposes locked up today. Yes, the unpredictable can happen, but I think the chances of Pitt winning out while the Pats drop 2 of 3 are extremely low.

Im gonna quote you. We can easily lose 2 of 3 . We face really good teams

Steelers beat Jets

There's a scenario that debunks your 'easiest scenario' theory. Even if the Jets win out, all we'd have to do to beat MIA or BUF to finish ahead of them. Finishing 1-2 is easier than your scenario. Then we'd be tied with the Jets at 12-4. H2H is tied, AFCE record is tied, common opponents tied, AFC record tied, and our strength of victory will be higher than theirs since our uncommon victories are Indy/Bmore/SD vs Houston/Cleveland/Denver for them. Also in that scenario, the best the Steelers can finish is 12-4 too and we would get the 1st seed over them. So I don't see how finishing 1-2 with 1 of the wins having to be MIA or BUFF is harder than your scenario. In fact it's twice as easy. Not saying that's how I want it to go down, but for the sake of proving this misconception wrong.

It's not absurd whatsoever to root for the Jets unless you just hate the Jets that much. The Steelers have a better record than the Jets and are playing better. If we somehow lose 2 of the next 3, the Steelers are the more likely team to overtake us. Plus the Jets still have to go to Chicago, Steelers only opponent nearly as good is the Browns. They're tough as we found out but the Bears are easily superior. And like it shows in the above scenario, our chances at the #1 seed are much easier if the Jets win. I punched the scenario into yahoo's playoff scenario calculator to confirm, with us only beating the Dolphins week 17 and losing the other games to finish 12-4, Jets beating the Steelers and Jets/Steelers finishing 12-4 (best case scenario for those 2 teams if Jets win Sunday). And it confirmed we would still be the #1 seed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back