PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers Defense, anything we are missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sums up the reasoning for my confidence that the Pats can take him out of the game. I can see him ripping a couple 10+ yard runs, but expect his overall YPC to be in the 3.0-3.5 range.
Oh I could see a 20-85 game. (I could see 17-58 too) I don't think he gets more runs than that, because we will be scoring a lot of points. He is good, I just think that hesitating style is something that wont do well against our D and something that Belichick will coach his players to make him pay for.
But its like anything else, take away one thing, and you give up something else, so if they get good blocks, Bell could see some seams develop.

If the Pats do lose it will be cause the Pitt D is better than we thought. The Pats scored 27 points on it with Gronk but did not play their best game.

Pitt has the 14th rank rush D in YPG. They gave up 100 even. However they also give up 4.3YPC which puts them at 19th. This tells me they are okay but force teams to pass which makes their run D a little less exposed.

Against Miami and KC they gave up 52 yards on 21 carries for 2.5YPC and 61 Yards on 14 carries for 4.4. They did well vs both teams but Miami was just bad that day and KC abandoned the run i think. I think the Pats can power run on this team. Also besides McCullins at 350LBs they don't have a true full size DT. They have 4 guys in the 305-295 range but not another big body. It is possible they can be pushed around due to lack of that size.

Their pass D is decent enough. They have the 14th best defensive passer rating. They have a good amount of sacks and pressure but they don't have that 1 super talented guy. They have a solid mix of 5-6 guys without any stars. James Harrison leads the team with 5 sacks but they have 38 total good enough for a 3 way tie for 9th best. Their best DB is William Gay (graded PFF's 10th best CB for what that is worth) and they have a few guys who are okay but no one I term as overly special.

Pitt in the 12th ranked D in adjusted PPG giving up on average 1.75 less points their their average opponents score. Pats BTW are 2nd giving up 5.63 less than their average opponents score. Also Pitt is 12th in YPG defensively.

Are we underestimating this D? Personally I think as long as the OL blocks it should be smooth sailing but maybe we should give this unit more credit and not just pencil in 40 points?
The pats game they clearly dared us to run. We went for a stretch during the game where our passing game wasnt working . Gronk saved that game for us eventually by breaking it up. Now we dont have the player to split the seams so that gives them a big advantage. I feel this is a game we will feel the effects of a missing gronk.

The pats game they clearly dared us to run. We went for a stretch during the game where our passing game wasnt working . Gronk saved that game for us eventually by breaking it up. Now we dont have the player to split the seams so that gives them a big advantage. I feel this is a game we will feel the effects of a missing gronk.
We miss Gronk every game when he's out. Just imagine what we could do if we had him. Now they have to use Bennett the same way they used Gronk. I didn't see those long Seam-routes Gronk was running. Almost all plays Bennett runs are in-routs and quick outs.

Initially, I was hoping they'd focus Floyd's "catchup tour" on some of the seam routes that Gronk usually runs. But after Saturday I am not even sure if he will be active this week if Mitchell and Hogan are good to go.

And Blount ended up having his best game of the season, with 127 yards, 5.3 YPC, and 2 TDs. Now add Lewis to the mix, and if they continue to give up the run in favor of defending the pass, the Pats will kill them on the ground. They won't stall out in the red zone like KC did a few times either.

Last edited:
And Blount ended up having his best game of the season, with 127 yards, 5.3 YPC, and 2 TDs. Now add Lewis to the mix, and if they continue to give up the run in favor of defending the pass, the Pats will kill them on the ground. They won't stall out in the red zone like KC did either.

Wow I don't remember Blount being that good vs them, encouraging.

For all the talk about the amount of sacks the steelers had in the second half, not much made of the Pats giving up the fewest in the same games.

Houstons blueprint is not really a blueprint. When you rush guys out of position, you add extra guys to the rush, and you decrease the cover guys on the field. The rush will win sometimes, but it has to dominate to truly limit Brady. As good as Dupree has played, he's no clowney, and debatable if he's even as good as mercilus.

I just don't see how that defense does enough to slow down our offense, to keep us under 27.

Rewatched Game 1 back in October:

-Their NT got a pretty good push on Andrews

Besides that...

Bolden dropped a third down conversion
Edelman dropped a third down conversion
Hogan fumbled a third down conversion
Edelman fumbled a punt return

If they play their same scheme vs. 2nd half of the season Edelman he could have 10+ receptions.

They need to change something up IMO on the defensive side of the ball. We still scored 2.7 points per drive despite the miscues.

I heard someone saying last night that the Steelers defense allowed the fewest or more 20+ yard receptions.
They say they are very good at defending the long pass.

Well doesn't that play right into our hands? Edelman, White & Lewis will dink & dunk them to death.

And Blount ended up having his best game of the season, with 127 yards, 5.3 YPC, and 2 TDs. Now add Lewis to the mix, and if they continue to give up the run in favor of defending the pass, the Pats will kill them on the ground. They won't stall out in the red zone like KC did a few times either.
Just adding to this

I wouldn't say the passing game struggled in that game.

Here are the drive breakdowns

Hogan fumble on 1st play

13 plays 80 yards TD

11 plays 84 yards TD

3 and out. After Brady had Bolden wide open and the first down but Bolden dropped it. Dion Lewis and James White catch that ball.

6 plays 18 yards Drives ends after Edelman drops a pass on 3rd down

Halftime

2nd and 10 becomes 2nd and 20 because of a hold. Pats go 3 and out

5 plays 73 yards TD

6 plays 75 yards TD

Punt Return- Edelman fumbles at the Pitt 45

Hold on 1st down. Makes it 1st and 20. Blount rushes on 1st and 2nd. Steelers make the stop on 3rd down

Blount 3 times for 9 yards, punt. Drive starts with 5 minutes left and Pats punt with 3 minutes remaining.

END OF GAME

I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say the passing game wasn't working for a stretch in that game. Take away Hogan's fumble and the 2 drops on 3rd down and who knows. The drops weren't because the Steelers did anything Bolden and Edelman had 1st downs if they hold on.

Just adding to this

I wouldn't say the passing game struggled in that game.

Here are the drive breakdowns

Hogan fumble on 1st play

13 plays 80 yards TD

11 plays 84 yards TD

3 and out. After Brady had Bolden wide open and the first down but Bolden dropped it. Dion Lewis and James White catch that ball.

6 plays 18 yards Drives ends after Edelman drops a pass on 3rd down

Halftime

2nd and 10 becomes 2nd and 20 because of a hold. Pats go 3 and out

5 plays 73 yards TD

6 plays 75 yards TD

Punt Return- Edelman fumbles at the Pitt 45

Hold on 1st down. Makes it 1st and 20. Blount rushes on 1st and 2nd. Steelers make the stop on 3rd down

Blount 3 times for 9 yards, punt. Drive starts with 5 minutes left and Pats punt with 3 minutes remaining.

END OF GAME

I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say the passing game wasn't working for a stretch in that game. Take away Hogan's fumble and the 2 drops on 3rd down and who knows. The drops weren't because the Steelers did anything Bolden and Edelman had 1st downs if they hold on.

I agree. The passing game did well, and if it wasn't for some of the unforced errors, the Pats likely put up 40 points that game.

Wow I don't remember Blount being that good vs them, encouraging.

Forget about that game. These are two very different teams now.

The playoff PIT run D allowed:
33y to Ajayi (52 total rush yds to MIA)
35y to Ware and -1y to West (61 rush yds to KC)

This is the D Pats will be playing on Sunday.
Josh will have to come up with something better than rush Blount hit Gronk approach from Oct 2016.

Some context to their 30 sacks

12 of them came in the 2 games against the Browns.
5 of them came against the Bills
3 of them came against the Colts (who had Scott Tolizen playing)

Against the Ravens(2 games) Cowboys, Giants and Bengals combined they had 10.
So long story short: still a good, much improved pass rush, despite being a bit overblown due to certain opponents. If anything it's at least about the same level as ours.

The one thing I liked about that Texans game was the tackling.Players were dropped immediately after reception and this is a must vs the Steelers. If the Pats can put them in third and long situations the easier its going to be for the D.

Last edited:
Forget about that game. These are two very different teams now.

The playoff PIT run D allowed:
33y to Ajayi (52 total rush yds to MIA)
35y to Ware and -1y to West (61 rush yds to KC)

This is the D Pats will be playing on Sunday.
Josh will have to come up with something better than rush Blount hit Gronk approach from Oct 2016.

Pretty sure Miami had to abandon the run game early because they were down by a couple of scores early in that game.

KC looked lethargic in just about every area last night.

NE is a different team than they were in October as well. They've got Lewis, which adds an entirely new dimension to the offense. Though I think they will be looking to exploit their secondary and LBs in coverage, more than trying to run the ball down their throats.

Anybody know D.lewis stats vs Pitts. ?Lewis came the Browns Org. so he won't be a complete mystery to them

I am anticipating a great game on Saturday, particularly with how the Pats play against the Steelers O-Line and Bell. His running style is mesmerizing and their line is excellent.

Hopefully, Brady is on his A game. We are going to need it!

Go Pats!

You got a time machine? Can we all come along?

Anybody know D.lewis stats vs Pitts. ?Lewis came the Browns Org. so he won't be a complete mystery to them

I don't believe he has taken any snaps against them other than the game he played in last year's opener, where he had 120 total yards from scrimmage.

I realize he's been hobbled, but Bennett has gotten 18 receptions for 201 yards over the last 8 games, that's averages of a little over 2 receptions for 25 yards per game. Pittsburgh held him to 1 reception for 5 yards in the first game. Hope to God we see more production on Sunday, hobbled or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back