PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Statistical Look at Hernandez' Impact

I really dont think it will have much of an impact, and the Pats are a better team that hes gone. Their are plenty of guys out there, known and unknown, that are as good as AH. Its a good thing that he didnt have a chance to impact the locker room with his immaturity.
Their are way to many guys playing football for money and the wrong reasons these days, and AH is obviously one of those.
You have a coach, QB, and alot of other guys that love the game, and desurve his spot. Players and coaches that respect the fans, just love to play, and try their hearts out… and maybe they wont be as good as AH might have been, but Id take those players every time over the AH, Vicks, plaxico and Gw's.
Patriots fans have been been threw a lot of bad and amazing times, and always comeback to loving their boys, keeping their humility, level head, and representing the patriots well to other fans.
This is just an messed up person who was honestly drafted for his talent, doesnt effect our view of the patriots, all they continue to build, and the fans.
Their will be better guys and new welkers that show for the patriots, because they continue to do the right thing.
Statistically AH would have eventual hurt the team in the end, so its good he was found out early. We have a personal bond with our boys , and you have the same. So something like this really hurts, we know. Its a form of betrial hurting our belief, and taken personally, because they are more family than personalities to us.
But AH will soon, if not already ,disapear for the fans and the team as they move forward and find better players and fall in love with the team all over again.
No imapct at all, I think.

The strongest player, fastest player, most amazing physical specimen, is not what makes a great player, its their heart. It might be time to heal from this AH stuff and move on for patriots fans. Not trying to be to bold, please excuse me if I am. He is not worth your forum space. Plenty of great pats players to talk about that appreciate you as a fans. We still hold you in the highest regard. Hope im not intruding on this personal issue.

Nice post.

I really dont think it will have much of an impact, and the Pats are a better team that hes gone. Their are plenty of guys out there, known and unknown, that are as good as AH. Its a good thing that he didnt have a chance to impact the locker room with his immaturity.
Their are way to many guys playing football for money and the wrong reasons these days, and AH is obviously one of those.
You have a coach, QB, and alot of other guys that love the game, and desurve his spot. Players and coaches that respect the fans, just love to play, and try their hearts out… and maybe they wont be as good as AH might have been, but Id take those players every time over the AH, Vicks, plaxico and Gw's.
Patriots fans have been been threw a lot of bad and amazing times, and always comeback to loving their boys, keeping their humility, level head, and representing the patriots well to other fans.
This is just an messed up person who was honestly drafted for his talent, doesnt effect our view of the patriots, all they continue to build, and the fans.
Their will be better guys and new welkers that show for the patriots, because they continue to do the right thing.
Statistically AH would have eventual hurt the team in the end, so its good he was found out early. We have a personal bond with our boys , and you have the same. So something like this really hurts, we know. Its a form of betrial hurting our belief, and taken personally, because they are more family than personalities to us.
But AH will soon, if not already ,disapear for the fans and the team as they move forward and find better players and fall in love with the team all over again.
No imapct at all, I think.

The strongest player, fastest player, most amazing physical specimen, is not what makes a great player, its their heart. It might be time to heal from this AH stuff and move on for patriots fans. Not trying to be to bold, please excuse me if I am. He is not worth your forum space. Plenty of great pats players to talk about that appreciate you as a fans. We still hold you in the highest regard. Hope im not intruding on this personal issue.

As others have pointed out, nice post Pherein.

You make some good points about the traits that a player must possess to play on this team, and we've seen other talented players leave or be traded so I think this simply falls into that category.

There are definitely things that will be hard to replace in terms of keeping the same kind of base offense (although at least one poster I've talked to believes that they were getting away from the 2 TE sets), but I'm sure they'll adjust no matter what their plan is or was.

I also agree that it's good that we found this out sooner rather than later, as in during the season or even playoffs. As Bella*chick pointed out, it was also brought up in court that AH has some chronic back issues too, so we may have had some problems with that that we weren't as aware of.

Well, according to his attorneys yesterday he has a back problem that appears chronic so chances are he would have been injured at some point this year anyway.

Yeah, that's a decent point although we can certainly assume that the atty was exaggerating a lot too. At this point there are just throwing crap at the wall and hoping that it will stick.

Just the thought alone that their argument of a 23 yr old muscle bound NFL athlete who may be in the best shape out of anyone in the building actually having " many serious health concerns" was almost laughable. I've seen many in jail/prison myself who were in wheelchairs, had to take very serious medications including chemotherapeutic ones etc--and they were doing just fine. That's what they have a medical ward for.

We'll never know whether or not he really was having back issues that would have prevented him from playing in the future, but since that will make me feel better about the situation I will choose to believe that ;)

Despite the stats that suggest we would play better without AH than with him (I don't dispute the stats say that), I think it was at least partially about the expectation of opposing defenses and what they had to gameplan for. AH was definitely part of that (along with others). It's what the Patriots put on gameday film/what defense had to gameplan for when they watch that film. The Patriots had flexibility and it was a definite advantage.

As un-profound as this is, AH's existence being erased from the offense and "what do we do now" entirely comes down to BB and his staff. How well they identify the strengths of the personnel they do have, can they play to these strengths-put them in a position to succeed, make the needed adjustments as the season goes on, ultimately finding an MO/a roadmap that creates more scoring than the defense gives up.
I'm hopeful on this front. BB ain't perfect but I have seen with my own eyes the Patriots be successful when the same personnel under other coaches would wilt. And this is in large part attributable to the fact that BB and his staff seem very deft at seeing the big picture, finding that roadmap that will gain many wins, getting into the playoffs. And while I think this has sometimes been exposed in the playoffs due to the competition simply being too much for the roadmap, simply getting into the playoffs and creating that chance for a SB berth is nothing to be dismissive about.

Yeah, that's a decent point although we can certainly assume that the atty was exaggerating a lot too. At this point there are just throwing crap at the wall and hoping that it will stick.

Just the thought alone that their argument of a 23 yr old muscle bound NFL athlete who may be in the best shape out of anyone in the building actually having " many serious health concerns" was almost laughable. I've seen many in jail/prison myself who were in wheelchairs, had to take very serious medications including chemotherapeutic ones etc--and they were doing just fine. That's what they have a medical ward for.

We'll never know whether or not he really was having back issues that would have prevented him from playing in the future, but since that will make me feel better about the situation I will choose to believe that ;)

Yeah, they almost definitely exaggerated but given that he had injuries pretty much every year I can remember, it does provide me some solace. What did he miss last year, 6 games? That's almost half a season. We soldiered on.

Not having Aaron Hernandez will definitely hurt the Pats. They wont be able to run their 2 TE sets with Gronk and AH

I always worried about his ball security. Expected him to fumble everytime he held the ball. It seemed like he was uncoachable in that part of his game.

His greatest attribute was that he was a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses.

Aside from the loss of a human life...possibly more and the whole mess...personnel wise it is the same as a season ending injury.

Since Hernandez is gone, I think Shane Vereen will take over the role (obviously not as the H-back/TE) as the "moveable chess-piece" in the offense. Line him up in the backfield and even at WR, when he is matched up with a LB. Heck, even put him in the slot too. He is very talented as a receiver for a RB. I expect Vereen to have even more catches/yards, maybe at least 400 yards I think. Maybe even 500-600 yds rushing too.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back