PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

State of the Teams: Miami Dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fins will take a step back this year, most teams seem to after a breakout year.

The schedual is tougher.

Teams will be ready for the wildcat and

Injuries, i don't think they can be that lucky two years in a row.

And no, no one "solved" the Wildcat... unless you think relying on the Dolphins to lose two starting guards and to also play with an injured starter at center is a "solution" for it. LOL

The 28 yards and zero points in game two says hi along with common o-line injuries every year.

Last edited:
The 28 yards and zero points in game two says hi along with common o-line injuries every year.

4 yards per attempt scratches it's head, and wonders how any sane person could overlook the Pats offense to give credit to it's putrid 2008 defense.

...AND three other departing starters with your "None" description is ridiculous.
Oddly enough we've seen "starters" depart too, sometimes it's for a reason beyond a better deal elsewhere. Hill and Goodman were never considered more than middle of the pack defenders and I'm sure Ireland and Sparano were looking to upgrade and didn't get too generous with any offers.

Myself, I never expect Miami to be an easy out and Sparano has proven himself capable of coaching up underachievers (Joey Porter in case no one has noticed "his" career). Grove for Satelle is a head scratcher because the last time Grove and Wilfork went head-to-head wasn't pretty for Grove, unlike the multiple pancakes in the opening game of 2005 while Vince was still learning how to play NT. Wake has potential, but he'll also need to get it done at a higher level, should be interesting. I hope Camarillo has a good camp, he was an impressive receiver before he went down. Penny is a QB I've always respected, I loved watching him flip off the Jesters last season, though he could have at least taken a Favre in the final game so the rebounding team could have represented the AFCE. ;)

Likewise to you. Holiday may not have been "major" in your view... but he did start 16 games for the Dolphins at LDE last season, and to overlook that AND three other departing starters with your "None" description is ridiculous.

A brand new starting center (Jake Grove) and a brand new starting Free Safety (Gibril Wilson)... are NOT "bit players". I'd argue that Wake, Green, and Taylor are more of a "bit players" than either of these two.

And no, no one "solved" the Wildcat... unless you think relying on the Dolphins to lose two starting guards and to also play with an injured starter at center is a "solution" for it. LOL

I've taken all too many "jokes" at Ginn's expense already (especially from Pats fans who have traded for more excellent Dolphins WR's in the last five years than they've been able to draft). Hows that Brady Quinn thing working out by the way?

I'm contesting the point because both Hill and Goodman got high dollar contracts with the Bronco's... and replacing them was a given - regardless of how highly you think of your Pats and the Bills WR's. :)

My mistake. I didn't realize that you were just another troll. Well, now that I know, it's easily rectified.

Oddly enough we've seen "starters" depart too, sometimes it's for a reason beyond a better deal elsewhere. Hill and Goodman were never considered more than middle of the pack defenders and I'm sure Ireland and Sparano were looking to upgrade and didn't get too generous with any offers.

1.) I was only pointing out that "None" is not the correct answer to departures, when in fact the team parted ways with four starters from 2008. I have no idea if that is less or more than any other team, nor was I trying to compare it to any other... just pointing out that "None" wasn't an accurate statement.

2.) Goodman had a fantastic 2nd half of the season... and though the Dolphins were initially interested in an extension, the cool 25 million the Bronco's gave him cooled that quickly.

3.) As far as Bills and Patriots WR corp's (who some posters evidently feel affects the Dolphins personnel decisions more than any other factor. :rolleyes: )... I would feel more than comfortable with Allen and Goodman as my two starters against both corps. It wasn't Goodman and Allen who Matt Cassell was so successful in attacking in last years 2nd game... but the 3rd and 4th DB's who the Pats ate alive. Secondary depth should be greatly improved with 3 CB's and 2 new safety's added to this years team.

Myself, I never expect Miami to be an easy out and Sparano has proven himself capable of coaching up underachievers (Joey Porter in case no one has noticed "his" career).

Joey Porter was allowed to concentrate on rushing the passer more than at any time in his career last season. I don't consider that "coaching up an underachiever"... but rather utilizing player talent to best advantage. But be that as it may, there's no question 2008 was a career year for Porter. Should be interesting to see how Porter does with another pass rush threat that teams will need to pay attention too.

Grove for Satelle is a head scratcher because the last time Grove and Wilfork went head-to-head wasn't pretty for Grove, unlike the multiple pancakes in the opening game of 2005 while Vince was still learning how to play NT.

I have no question, as far as straight ahead run blocking... Grove is much stronger than Satelle. The only concern with Grove is his injury history, and whether or not that's behind him.

Wake has potential, but he'll also need to get it done at a higher level, should be interesting.

I'm skeptical myself. I don't think he saw near the level of athletes in the CFL that he will this year.

I hope Camarillo has a good camp, he was an impressive receiver before he went down.

He was near full speed in pajama camps... but its really soon for that. Devone Bess stepped in and did a great job in his absence... but you have to like Camarillo. Good kid.

Penny is a QB I've always respected, I loved watching him flip off the Jesters last season, though he could have at least taken a Favre in the final game so the rebounding team could have represented the AFCE. ;)

What you talking bout Willis? The rebounding team did represent the AFCE. :)

My mistake. I didn't realize that you were just another troll. Well, now that I know, it's easily rectified.

I'm sorry your ego is so fragile, that someone more knowledgeable about the subject matter - and willing to provide the correct information... is classified as a "troll" to protect it.

I'm sorry your ego is so fragile, that someone more knowledgeable about the subject matter - and willing to provide the correct information... is classified as a "troll" to protect it.

Simply because one poster is providing an overview of another team while another poster apprises people of backup DL signings does not make one or the other incorrect.

The Dolphins in my opinion are the Jets-South. Last year was a fluke perod. Thier schedule is pretty tough as I, like some others here think injuries will be had by them this year.. Thier coaching is borderline also. I can't understand even with the TOONAA pulling some of the strings there, they haven't gotten any more co-hesion on the field staff as well as the front office. Not as bad as the Jets managment yet, but still very close. JMO> Chalk up two easy wins for us. No way they beat this team this year with TB back! Just ain't gonna happen.

Simply because one poster is providing an overview of another team while another poster apprises people of backup DL signings does not make one or the other incorrect.

He missed EVERY departure and addition of a starting player dude. lol If you didn't want to know... I'm sorry. I figure most people who actually have the desire to know, already do via other means - but if your going to have sections called departures and signings, I just assumed everyone would appreciate the correct information.

Never mentioned the O, but yes. I was very unhappy with the pats D in 08. But what word would you use to describe the Fins D?

Mediocre at best, but likely worse. Adequate against the run... putrid against the pass. The Dolphins faced 3 and 4 WR sets all year because their secondary depth sucked, and the only pressure they could bring was Joey Porter.

This off-season 5 new players (including draftee's) were added in the secondary, and two more players who are candidates for situational pass rushers (Wake and Taylor) were added. Doesn't mean those areas were improved, but at least they were addressed.

The Dolphins in my opinion are the Jets-South.

How so? The 150 million spent on free agents last year? :)

Last year was a fluke perod.

Kansas City will be very disappointed to hear that. lol

Thier schedule is pretty tough as I, like some others here think injuries will be had by them this year..

You should know on the schedule. Except for two games, it's the same one the Pats will play.

Injuries were had by them last year. Two starting guards. Camarillo with an ACL. Satelle with a shoulder. 3rd CB missed the whole year. Granted it wasn't the bloodbath of 2007... but there were injuries.

Thier coaching is borderline also. I can't understand even with the TOONAA pulling some of the strings there, they haven't gotten any more co-hesion on the field staff as well as the front office. Not as bad as the Jets managment yet, but still very close.

I just need you to explain this one... because it makes ZERO sense to anyone who watched the team last year. Zero.

JMO> Chalk up two easy wins for us. No way they beat this team this year with TB back! Just ain't gonna happen.

Yeah. As previously stated... never could happen. :)

10/07/01 -- at Miami 30, New England 10
10/06/02 -- at Miami 26, New England 13
12/20/04 -- at Miami 29, New England 28
01/01/06 -- Miami 28, at New England 26
12/10/06 -- at Miami 21, New England 0

These "State of the Teams" threads are terrific. I haven't agreed with all the conclusions but a very nice job by the OP.

Yeah. As previously stated... never could happen. :)

10/07/01 -- at Miami 30, New England 10
10/06/02 -- at Miami 26, New England 13
12/20/04 -- at Miami 29, New England 28
01/01/06 -- Miami 28, at New England 26
12/10/06 -- at Miami 21, New England 0

Um, err, is this what's called ownage? :D

(not by Miami, but by the poster)

Likewise to you. Holiday may not have been "major" in your view... but he did start 16 games for the Dolphins at LDE last season, and to overlook that AND three other departing starters with your "None" description is ridiculous.

A brand new starting center (Jake Grove) and a brand new starting Free Safety (Gibril Wilson)... are NOT "bit players". I'd argue that Wake, Green, and Taylor are more of a "bit players" than either of these two.

I've taken all too many "jokes" at Ginn's expense already (especially from Pats fans who have traded for more excellent Dolphins WR's in the last five years than they've been able to draft). Hows that Brady Quinn thing working out by the way?

I'm contesting the point because both Hill and Goodman got high dollar contracts with the Bronco's... and replacing them was a given - regardless of how highly you think of your Pats and the Bills WR's. :)

I was looking for a top ten list and this thread came up in my search. How'd this post work out for Wockenbauss? :bricks:

That team just went 180 degrees from what he was hoping. It's too bad for him, but good for Patriots fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back