PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Starting Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I know I'm risking getting run off the board with this but oh well lol I just feel like I need to get this off my chest.

The last 2 super bowls the Patriots played spotty for 3 or so quarters but came back with unbelievable 4th quarters. I feel like, as great as belichick and Brady are, if they keep putting themselves in this position (the same position they found themselves in against the Jags as well) at some point it's going to catch up with them. I feel like a win against the Eagles is going to take a solid 4 quarters of football to get the W. If the Pats are down double digits late, I think, chances are, they are not coming back this time. Especially if they are down like they were against Atlanta, what happened in that game was a once in a lifetime occurrence. Here's to hoping the pats come out strong and play a complete game against Philly.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being negative, I know no one here probably cares what I think but I just had to get this off my chest and I felt better putting it out there publicly. Feel free to flame me if you want, it's all good.
I hear what you are saying but Pats miscues put them in a hole to begin with.

Hey all, two amazing wins in a row. In terms of preparing for the Super Bowl, one area we've struggled this postseason is starting strong early with us down 7-0 and 14-3 against the Titans and Jaguars.

What are the reasons we've had issues against both teams early? Is there anything the team can do to be more effective out of the gate? Outstanding wins in both games, but the iffy early play seems like a trend just as much as our phenomenal play in the second half of each game.

They beat the Titans 35-14 and it wasn't that close. Should they give away the whole game plan to score more in the first quarter and hope the other teams adjustments aren't too effective?

We won’t. The coaching staff appears to have made a clear decision between 2013 and 2014 that they will live or die on the goat. In 10 playoff games and 9 wins we have thrown an average of 46.8 passes per game and gone over 50 in half of them.

Eagles also are pretty stout against the run. and from what I have read suspect in the secondary.

I think BB finds a masterful way to sprinkle in “let’s start fast” without jeopardizing the even keeled do your job approach

A win is a win is a win....I don't mind slow start.
It's a game of inches and adjustment. And Bill is a master of that.

Off topic note: Patriots are 3-0 in the last three even year SB's... 2004, 2014, and 2016. They'v lost the last two odd # super bowl years....2007 and 2011. Furthermore, The last time a team wearing dark jerseys won an even year SB? 03 Patriots.
2017?

I think this is it. BB often talks about how it takes more energy to play man than zone and the D clearly conserves energy in spots by playing a lot of zone. I don’t think it’s planned that they come out flat, and I think that it’s not accurate to say they train better than the other team; it’s just they defend to save energy for the end. Same with running the ball a lot at the start, which tires the opposing D more.

Although we heard a lot about "the hill" after the super bowl last year and how other teams are installing them to keep up with the Pats. The Patriots definitely do train for endurance.

3 Games To Glory 5: Running The Hills

I do think some teams went a little overboard. "If the Pats hill is 20 degrees will make ours 50" :D

I'm not sure who you're directing this towards. If you're directing this towards me then you completely missed my point. I could care less how the pats win as long as they win. If they suck for 3 quarters and come back to win on the 4th I'm perfectly fine with that. My point is that it, if they're down by multiple scores late, they're likely not coming back. It's hard for me to see them making a miracle comeback 3 super bowls in a row. At some point, this business of saving their best for last is going to catch up to them. This isn't about how they win, it's about putting themselves in the best position so that they can get the win. I'm hoping the pats play a solid 4 quarters.

If this wasn't towards me then my mistake, carry on :D

If the opposing defense is gassed by the fourth quarter it's easier to score on them.

But I do get your point and am not trying to take away from the insane comeback we saw last year. That's not going to happen again but ten points in the fourth will always be possible imo. Tom Brady continues to figure out what they're doing on defense, conditioning, adjustments on both sides of the ball and game time management.

What a ride it's been though eh?

The Vikings started fast against the Eagles in the NFCCG. How did that work out for them?:D

It's certainly a strong contest as they usually are.

Gonna be interesting how they attack Philly, if there was a weakness I would say the secondary which is good for Tom Brady and the receivers. Yes they have a good pass rush and stop the run well but I'm feeling pretty good about the oline after taking on Jville.

I get they dismantled the Vikings but from what I watched it was just a really good game plan and the Vikings weren't prepared for it. They looked like chickens running around with their heads cut off. We'll see what happens in two weeks.

The Vikings were emotionally exhausted from their SB victory the week before.

Seriously - I think sometimes you can just tell when a team has left it all out on the field. Someone posted a stat about how terrible teams with walkoff TDs in the post season perform in the following game. I don't remember the poster (sorry) but IIRC the stat was 0-5 with losses in the subsequent game being by an average of 20 points.

They're going to find they're playing a team with a different temperament, one which doesn't believe in fate and destiny and magic and cinderalla ********.

FWIW the betting gurus don't agree with this thesis - Pats are currently -5 for the game but -3 for the first half. So that predicts a slightly better first half than second half.

| Bovada

For once, i want to see the pats in attack mode and get points on the board first. put all the pressure on Foles
They attacked on the first drive yesterday. They just cane up a little short and got 3.

The only thing I care about is winning. It’s better we come back and win than the other way around, but we are bound for at least one comfortable win eventually.

It's certainly a strong contest as they usually are.

Gonna be interesting how they attack Philly, if there was a weakness I would say the secondary which is good for Tom Brady and the receivers. Yes they have a good pass rush and stop the run well but I'm feeling pretty good about the oline after taking on Jville.

I get they dismantled the Vikings but from what I watched it was just a really good game plan and the Vikings weren't prepared for it. They looked like chickens running around with their heads cut off. We'll see what happens in two weeks.
Brady will throw 45-50 times or more. Once B.B. and mcd decided they will put winning or losing as deep in Brady’s hands as possible, in the post season, we started winning championships again. I don’t expect that to change now.

What I have to say is for the first time ever EVER ACTUALLLY. Patriots fans showed up! You showed up and helped your team to win. No doubt about it. This was the best home crowd this team hAS EVER HAD! Hands down you were awesome! I am sure BB and TB and the Kraft's will never forget this day. Nice job Pats fans!!!!!!
No, the 2014 divisional ravens is still the loudest and most electric i've heard the place. i was there for both, that was louder. yesterday was still great, but it's ridiculous to say that we didn't show up for that ravens one

It almost sounds crazy to want your qb to throw 50+ in a game, considering other qbs records when doing so. But, TFB defies those odds by being quite God Like when he does.
It's one of the craziest stats I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes