PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
records are a team stat.......i think having a top end QB is generally necessary to winning, i don't always think W/L is an accurate QB stat

All the Matthew Stafford toughness talk.

I remember he stepped out of bounds at a home game on third down one yard in front of the marker to avoid a little contact. It was one of the softest moves I've seen a QB make.

And I'd like him here.

EDIT: So I guess my memory was wrong. I wasn't at the game, it was on 4th down in Detroit, and Stafford slid, not went out of bounds.

Still a soft play.

Last edited:
He doesn't suck, but he's on the downside of the QB age/performance curve that Brady recently blew up, and he doesn't exactly seem to be on the QB12 program, but instead with his knack for try hard injuries and his fat face he seems to be on the Big Ben QB7 track to early oblivion...and without any of Ben's big game clutchness.

I'll pass, and see if the Pats can find a healthy breast in the draft, instead of wasting draft capital on a pacifier.

Since 2011, nobody has had more fourth-quarter comebacks (19) or game-winning drives (22) than Matthew Stafford.
How many active starting QBs now were also active starting QBs in 2011? Not a whole lot I'd imagine, so...He also probably leads the league in 4th-quarter comeback Opportunities, successful or otherwise, since 2011 as well...

Last edited:
unless you build a championship caliber roster (which, in the cap era has lots of different looks....you won't see the 1990's cowboys type roster ever again), a top end QB will only take you so far..........but IF you have that type of roster built, you have to have a top end QB (most of the time) to win it all

so it's a catch 22......this team cannot bring in a top end QB and hamstring themselves with a huge cap hit, they have to upgrade a lot of roster spots.......so i think the question becomes how do you upgrade the position next year while being able to still get those upgrades in.......i don't see a garrapolo minus a major restructure getting them there......not sure a stafford if it means giving up the 15 gets them there, but it SEEMS a more viable option than a near 30 million dollar hit (dak is in the same range, isn't he?).....and i don't see anyone in the draft bar a stunning move up the board getting them there next year OR long term.......

as someone else said, it's much easier with a colts type roster, who is a lot closer.....they are in decent cap shape, they don't have a ton of crucial FA's coming up.....i see them better positioned to make a move on a guy like stafford (who i do like), and the pats ending up with someone like a brissett as a result

In 2018, Belichick said Stafford is “as good as there is in football” as a downfield passer.

“He does an excellent job of seeing down the field in all situations,” Belichick said at the time. “No matter how much pressure he’s under, he seems to find guys down there. Sometimes it appears that they’re covered, but he can put the ball where (Marvin) Jones in particular, but also (Kenny) Golladay, can go up and make plays on the ball.

“He’s very accurate and he’s got a strong arm. He can stand in there and make those throws, with or without a rush, in or out of the pocket, stationary or on the run. He’s extremely dangerous – one of the very best in the league for sure.”

“Bortles creates a lot of problems for you,” Belichick said. “I felt last week against Miami was another good example of the overall effectiveness of the offense: decision making, no sacks, and no turnovers. He’s able to make plays with his feet. He’s able to make plays in critical situations like third down, two-minute and he’s able to make plays when he has a chance to get the ball down the field. We saw a couple of those last week with Robinson. He’s done a good job with that.”

—-

“With Henne, you really got to defend everything,” Belichick said. “You gotta defend all the receivers, you gotta defend the short balls, you gotta defend the play-action, the deep balls, a little bit of scrambling. I think he does a pretty good job of everything. And that’s really the hardest thing for a defense is when you gotta defend everything as opposed to just nailing it down to this is what he likes to do and it’s this small thing that they’re pretty good at but it’s just that one thing.”

Apparently 49ers interested. Put my money on Jimmy G back here and stafford to San fran
again, how do you make that move without a HUGE contract restructure.......26.9 is a huge hit, with a lot of holes to fill/upgrades needed, lots of FA's, some of which they are going to need to resign......

again, how do you make that move without a HUGE contract restructure.......26.9 is a huge hit, with a lot of holes to fill/upgrades needed, lots of FA's, some of which they are going to need to resign......

There's ways they probably could restructure to manipulate the cap

They’re going to have a ton of cap space this season, and this is exactly when you’d take that sort of hit, if it means getting your long-term franchise quarterback for years to come. A much better idea than using the cap space to sign huge money free agents.

Signing Garoppolo and then using the rest of the space on mid-level free agents (who will be bargains this year due to the lowered cap/Covid) is a good way to go if they like him.

Garoppolo is 29, an known fit in New England, and has a 24-8 career record. The only concern is injuries and whether it’s bad freakish bad luck or likely to recur. He isn’t a physical QB who throws his body around.

he has to be open to the restructure.....granted anywhere he goes is going to want to restructure, but the colts are ahead of the pats in cap space with less FA issues......let's say SF makes a play for stafford (instead of ryan that was speculated).....that puts Garrapolo in demand, too....throw in a brees retirement and a possible BR retirement....there's going to be soo many moving parts on veteran QB deals

They’re going to have a ton of cap space this season, and this is exactly when you’d take that sort of hit, if it means getting your long-term franchise quarterback for years to come. A much better idea than using the cap space to sign huge money free agents.

Signing Garoppolo and then using the rest of the space on mid-level free agents (who will be bargains this year due to the lowered cap/Covid) is a good way to go if they like him.
but is he a long term solution?

his contract is possibly the worst in the game right now......and the colts are also in the QB game, and have MORE cap space and less FA issues

He played for an organization that’s won one playoff game in 50 years.
Is that true? If so, that is crazy. It's got to be the least amount of playoff wins in that same time period.

his contract is possibly the worst in the game right now......and the colts are also in the QB game, and have MORE cap space and less FA issues

Doesn't need to be a long term solution. You keep your 1st rounders and can still draft a guy

hell, the colts could go with brissett in 2021 and completely change the QB market dynamic.......but if they make a play for a stafford, don't be surprised to see brissett back here over a garapolo

Doesn't need to be a long term solution. You keep your 1st rounders and can still draft a guy
would depend on how much you need to give up, and how big a restructure you can get.....not opposed to the concept, but jesus his contract is huge right now

If the team is confident in his durability (not saying they are), why wouldn’t he be? He’s started 32 career games and is 29 years old. If he stays healthy, another ten seasons isn’t unrealistic.

1611455316212.png

I don’t see anything wrong with his contract. A cap hit for $27M is pretty standard in today’s NFL for a valued starting QB.

I'm just asking HOW valued a starting QB he is......is he actually a 27 mil cap hit QB i guess is my big question

Apparently 49ers interested. Put my money on Jimmy G back here and stafford to San fran
49ers need to make a big splash this offseason. First, they passed on Watson for mega bust Soloman Thomas. Mahomes is different as not many people expected him to do what he's done. Then Tom Brady/his Agent called the Shanahan and Lynch and let them know he wants to play for them. They said "No thanks". While most people think he wanted to just go play for the Bucs, the 49ers were his first choice. If Brady hoists another Lombardi, I fire both Shanahan and Lynch if I'm York.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes