PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sources says Mac Jones has been playing with an AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder per 98.5

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to Jimmy Stewart on the Felger and Mazz show, he got information from a source inside the Patriots that Mac Jones has been playing through three injuries - a left knee injury (which we already know he has been dealing with all year), his left hand (hence the glove), and his throwing shoulder which Stewart's source said it was the same thing Garoppolo suffered while he was starting for Brady (which is an AC joint sprain although Jimmy G's was on his non-throwing shoulder).

Take it for what it is worth.

Well. Oddly, it makes me feel better about Mac. And I already am convinced he is the chosen one.

As long as he doesn't end up going the Jimmy G path of annual injuries.

He doesn't run into unnecessary hits like Jimmy does, right? At least that's something.

He doesn't run into unnecessary hits like Jimmy does, right? At least that's something.
He sort of does - but he's not quite as bold now as he was back at the beginning of the season in that area. Hoping this rookie season (and the advice from around the locker room) helped him learn to focus a little more on self-preservation.

would explain the "rookie wall" that he has hit...

Well. Oddly, it makes me feel better about Mac. And I already am convinced he is the chosen one.

As long as he doesn't end up going the Jimmy G path of annual injuries.

Brady was injured most years. We hear stories after the fact of how he was so injured that he would need help putting on and taking off his shoulder pads. We know in the 2007 season, his ankle sprain was far worse than he let on at the time.

Many QBs are consistently injured. The good ones play through the injuries. The average and mediocre ones are constantly taking time off because of them. I doubt there is a QB who goes an entire year without dealing with something.

If all these are only half true or severe, the kid is going to be a rockstar. And more reason why a full offseason of training and strengthening will produce great results - because he obviously has the brains and the grit.

If true Mac is a tough SOB to play through it. Doesn’t paint Jimmy in a good light if they had the same injury.

Jimmy's was in his non-throwing shoulder while Mac's is in his throwing shoulder (again, if true). But Jimmy G already looks like a wimp who has trouble playing through injuries. The fact that he was a last minute scratch in the Bills game showed that the Patriots thought he should have played through it. I know Brady would have. Looks like Mac would have too.

This explains the bad 6 recent weeks since the Bye. But at the same time it's also possible in parallel Mac is still regressing due to crappy oc coaching.

I wonder which game/play it was where the crappy oc play calling and O-Line management led to Mac taking a big hit to his throwing shoulder.

Brady was injured most years. We hear stories after the fact of how he was so injured that he would need help putting on and taking off his shoulder pads. We know in the 2007 season, his ankle sprain was far worse than he let on at the time.

Many QBs are consistently injured. The good ones play through the injuries. The average and mediocre ones are constantly taking time off because of them. I doubt there is a QB who goes an entire year without dealing with something.
Agreed. If this is true, I like Mac even more. Didn't think that was possible!

I wonder if Mac got injured on the Brians Burns hit from earlier this year....

BTW, I was told by numerous posters that BiLl dIdn'T hAvA aNy fAiTh in MaC's aRm sTreNgth against Buffalo...

According to Jimmy Stewart on the Felger and Mazz show, he got information from a source inside the Patriots that Mac Jones has been playing through three injuries - a left knee injury (which we already know he has been dealing with all year), his left hand (hence the glove), and his throwing shoulder which Stewart's source said it was the same thing Garoppolo suffered while he was starting for Brady (which is an AC joint sprain although Jimmy G's was on his non-throwing shoulder).

Take it for what it is worth.
First, not believing anyone associated with that show has a “source inside the Patriots.”

Second, if he has an AC joint sprain as
bad as Jimmy G did and the Pats didn’t put him on the injury report, the league would have a real problem with it.

Mac took a beating early in the year. I'm amazed he didn't miss any games.

A lot of that beating was probably on him not properly setting the protection, and those 10-step drops (yeesh!).

Reactions: Ian
First, not believing anyone associated with that show has a “source inside the Patriots.”

bad as Jimmy G did and the Pats didn’t put him on the injury report, the league would have a real problem with it.

Now I want to really look closely at the game before the 3-pass Buffalo game. Wonder if he was hurt that game and thus contributed to the 46-run Buffalo game plan. At the time I had a time time believing the crappy spread shotgun oc would ever do something like that, and a Mac shoulder injury would explain a lot here

The Pats hid injuries for Brady all the time. Teams get caught not reporting injuries for QBs all the time. After this season, I guarantee you there will be at least several big name players throughout the league who will get surgery for injuries they got during the season that never appeared on the injury report. It happens every offseason.

And I am convinced that Brady and a lot of QBs wouldn't have even missed any time if they had what Garoppolo had. My guess is Brady would have been out on the field the next play after spraining his AC joint. So would Roethlisberger (although Ben would play to crowd how he was playing injured). Mahomes played the Super Bowl with turf toe that required surgery right after the Super Bowl. So he probably would have played too.

Plus, just because Jones had an AC joint sprain doesn't mean it was as severe as Garoppolo had.

sounds like Jimmy Stewart is a stooge for Patriots propaganda

sounds like Jimmy Stewart is a stooge for Patriots propaganda

Stewart and Felger and Mazz said it was excuse making, but that would be their stance even if the story is 100% true. That is their schtick.

Doubt it. Probably just speculation.

I doubt Mac would play at all if he had an injury that was impacting his game and this wouldn’t be the first time we’d hear about it either.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back