PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Source: Patriots "love" Odrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't really seen this guy play so could some people shed some light on why he is the only 5-tech DE who would be ready to start from day 1?

From what I've read he was a 1-gapping penetrating DT for Penn St. I would think there would be an adjustment period for him to move to 5-tech DE and pick up the 2-gap technique.

Personally, I think we have more pressing needs than the DL. I like what we have in Wilfork and Warren. I think Wright can be a good blue collar RDE. We just drafted Pryor, Richard, and Brace last year. You can't just kick them to the curb after one year.

If Dan Williams is there at 22, I'd give consideration to him b/c I think he could make the transition to RDE and be effective. But I'd much rather use our first round pick elsewhere and potentially pick up Carrington in the 2nd or 3rd (if we get one). My dream for the past year has been and still would be getting a sliding Spiller at 22 to add a home run threat to the backfield, a nightmare matchup in the passing game, and a lethal returner on special teams. Pick up guys like Benn/D-Williams, Sapp/Carrington, and Hardy in the 2nd.

I haven't really seen this guy play so could some people shed some light on why he is the only 5-tech DE who would be ready to start from day 1?
Odrick, himself, is somewhat of a projection but he has the body type, work ethic and level of competition that he "should" be able to play quickly. He has questions to answer but the other like Carrington (level of competition), Wootten (weight), Alualu (height) have additional questions. My opinion (and it's nothing more than that) is that Odrick is the closest to playing Week 1 but it's as much because there aren't any more choices as it is that he's absolutely ready himself.

Odrick, himself, is somewhat of a projection but he has the body type, work ethic and level of competition that he "should" be able to play quickly. He has questions to answer but the other like Carrington (level of competition), Wootten (weight), Alualu (height) have additional questions. My opinion (and it's nothing more than that) is that Odrick is the closest to playing Week 1 but it's as much because there aren't any more choices as it is that he's absolutely ready himself.

I see. I'm not a big Odrick fan b/c I haven't seen him play much and I don't think DE is as high of a priority as others, just my opinion. I like Carrington in the 2nd as a guy who may have a higher ceiling and is better "value." I think both guys should be considered "developmental" at this point b/c based on what I've read about Odrick playing in college, I don't think he'd be ready to start from day 1.

I know I read somewhere Carrington was highly regarded as a recruit and turned down the likes of Ole Miss and LSU to play at Arkansas St. so he could be close to his son. I don't think the Wright and the guys from last year should be discounted yet, so I can't see spending a 1st rounder on a DE. I'd kick the tires on a guy like Carrington in the 2nd though due to his touted upside.

Who is the guy you would take at 22 if you were running the show?

Who is the guy you would take at 22 if you were running the show?
I don't have a guy I'm locked into. I do think they'll try to fix the 2011 issues at WR and RB in this draft. Hardesty is the popular choice for RB, I like him a lot for 2c, personally I would take Demaryius Thomas at 1 as he's the only potential #1 WR I see in this draft other than Bryant who seems to be dumb as a rock to me. I want a WR with upside to be ready for 2011, whether that's Thomas, G. Tate, D. Williams, whatever.

But my top four is still something like Thomas, Wootton (hoping he can grow into his height some), Sapp (or your OLB of choice) and Hardesty. We need the front seven help but if Moss is gone we need help there for 2011 and I'm not convinced Maroney, Morris or Taylor (who are all FA after this year) will be on the team in 2011.

As this is an Odrick thread, I would also be fine with Odrick, WR of choice (there's tons of interesting ones in the 2nd round), Sapp (or your OLB of choice) and Hardesty.

There is a rumor that a team has offered Oakland a second round pick this year and a first round pick next year for Oakland's first round pick this year (8th overall). I wonder who that team might be? Let see the Patriots own Oakland's pick next year and have a couple extra 2's available.

Look it up in the San Francisco Chronicle.

There is a rumor that a team has offered Oakland a second round pick this year and a first round pick next year for Oakland's first round pick this year (8th overall). I wonder who that team might be? Let see the Patriots own Oakland's pick next year and have a couple extra 2's available.

If it's the Pats, then they're probably targeting Derrick Morgan. Thats kind of a bad trade though.

Maybe they are offering one of their two's this year and their own 1st rounder next year.

Maybe you'll prove to be right - most people seem to think he's been out of position in a 3-4, though, and will be a 3 technique in the NFL. Most people that I've read/heard, anyway.

I meant that in terms of value......since alualu may be had with the last 2nd rounder.....

A league source told WEEI.com on Tuesday that the Patriots, who hold the 22nd overall pick in next month's NFL Draft, "love" Penn State defensive tackle Jared Odrick.

Source: Pats 'love' DT Odrick

Methinks if Tebow's public wooing is a smokescreen then this is too?! BB has never approached the draft this openly. This is going to be a real interesting 1st 2 days of the draft!

but just because we love a player doesn't mean he's the highest player from our draft board that will be available. remember the Pats NEVER indicate who they are interested in. A few years ago we had no idea that the pats liked Mayo but they obviously did. Last year I believe we were interested in Louis Delmas and would have taken him if the stupid lions did not take him with the pick right before us. Anyway we had no clue that the pats liked Delmas.

I think the pats have been quiet about someone they like - not a peep about sergio kindle. hmm....

the other poster just mentioned how Holley called it the day before that we were gonna draft Mayo.

Lots of members on this board including myself loved Delmas and the fact that BB took the next highest rated S one spot after Delmas was taken only further indicates it.

"....adding a HR threat to the backfield"

IIRC everyone was saying Maroney was a threat to take it to the house everytime he touched it, and I surely don't remember many of those hrs.

Just sayin'.........

I would suggest watching Maroney's first few games, before his first injury. He was considered a solid contender for OROY.

"....adding a HR threat to the backfield"

IIRC everyone was saying Maroney was a threat to take it to the house everytime he touched it, and I surely don't remember many of those hrs.

Just sayin'.........

Not "somewhat of a projection", but a big projection. There are a number of Odrick/Penn St games on youtube, including Michigan, Iowa, LSU. If you watch, you'll see that from a technique perspective Odrick is completely opposite of what the Pats DL does. To think that he could start from day 1 is a major leap of faith. I also question how much he would improve the pass rush as a DT in the nickel D. I'd rather go with Alualu at 47. He's not quite as big, but much more athletic. And he's probably more ready to play right away and has a lot of potential and position flexibility.

The way the Pats manage the salary cap and look to build depth throughout the roster, I can't see them trading up in the draft as was previously hinted at. There is no doubt that Suh, if available, would be a great pro; however, the price would be prohibitive- especially when they are looking to re-sign Brady and Mankins.

On the other hand, trading down is a distinct possibility and as we inch closer to the draft, I feel more and more that it's the way BB is going to go. You hear and read all over about the depth of this draft, so it only makes sense to drop down, take advantage of that and increase the value of your players.

There is always the possibility that an incredible value will drop to 22 and the Pats will pick him, or that too many teams will be trying to trade down and make it more difficult to pull off a deal, but I see them getting out if 22 if at all possible.

At the very least I see them trying to get into the third round, where there should be some exceptional value.

the other poster just mentioned how Holley called it the day before that we were gonna draft Mayo.

Mayo was also considered a late riser. And it wasn't reported that the Pats had any interest in him until April 11 -- when Reiss posted Mayo as an official visit.

Lots of members on this board including myself loved Delmas and the fact that BB took the next highest rated S one spot after Delmas was taken only further indicates it.
That draft, the Pats showed different degrees of interest in 10 Safeties. Both Delmas and Chung were listed as official visits. The fact that Delmas got selected before the Chung pick DOES NOT prove NE would've drafted Delmas over Chung. This speculation comes from the fact that Delmas was more of a fan favorite -- not necessarily a Belichick favorite. Bottom line here is, consensus rankings (Delmas ranked #1), does not mean he would be the higher ranked player on the Pats board. And until BB confirms Delmas was ranked higher -- it will always be speculation.

So that would essentially mean we traded Seymour and a 2nd round pick for the #8 pick this year.. hrrrrmmmmm :confused:

If it's the Pats, then they're probably targeting Derrick Morgan. Thats kind of a bad trade though.

Or.. McClain.. I think BB wants this guy.. he needs a smart instinctive coach type player out there and McClain fits the bill perfectly..

Also that would leave us w/ our #22 .. we could still take Odrick there or trade back.. but one has to think if BB taking the raines of the Defense this year he is going to load up on studs.. that can contribute..

I could totally see a scenario if this trade took place that we go after
8 McClain
22 .Odrick
47 trade up for Hughes w/ KC at #36 - We give them AD as well
53. Mardy Gilyard

So that would essentially mean we traded Seymour and a 2nd round pick for the #8 pick this year.. hrrrrmmmmm :confused:

Or.. McClain.. I think BB wants this guy.. he needs a smart instinctive coach type player out there and McClain fits the bill perfectly..

Also that would leave us w/ our #22 .. we could still take Odrick there or trade back.. but one has to think if BB taking the raines of the Defense this year he is going to load up on studs.. that can contribute..

I could totally see a scenario if this trade took place that we go after
8 McClain
22 .Odrick
47 trade up for Hughes w/ KC at #36 - We give them AD as well
53. Mardy Gilyard

That would stack our defense for this year but I think we are better off to save that first.

I gotta feeling that this guy is perfect pick for the pats at 22.
But that's the same way i felt about Clay Matthews last year:bricks:

I felt exactly the same way about Matthews last year also. I was positive he was gonna be the Pats pick and I still regret it. He had a really good rookie year.
I still find it baffling he wasn't our pick......

To me, these players seem like "patriot" players, I can't really explain how, you just sense it.

1. Jared Odrick
2. Dexter Mccluster
3. Toby Gerhart
4. Tim Tebow
5. Ricky Sapp :mad:
6. Mcclain

Who else seems like a "patriot" player?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes