PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sony looks way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need realistic expectations and compare to historical probability my friend...
My “expectations” were that it wouldn’t be the worst draft class in Belichick’s tenure, and that they may have selected a player or two who could be worth a damn.

I think that 2017 draft class will hurt for awhile.

Think Chubb vs Sony is kind of a fool's errand. Real answer should be not drafting any running back that high. Unfortunately, Michel's always going to get judged against the guy selected after him, though Landry was my guy at that pick. Such is life. He's looked better in recent weeks, but he's nothing special. Lots of running backs of that caliber in the NFL.

I think Michel is getting a really bad rep for a down year for the entire offense. I tend to agree with most that Michel may not have been worthy of a first rd pick (although ultimately I really do think its too early to call that..if we runs away these playoffs and dominates next season everyone would change their tune).

It is a little disappointing that he isnt the type of back to create opportunities himself and needs to rely on a fullback to be productive. The Chubb thing hurts a little however I read Simone critique his vision and to me that's absurd. In my eyes Michels greatest strength is his vision and anticipation and finding little openings to gain an extra 3+ yds... In the open field that is.

His issues start and end at the line of scrimmage. Hes not going to move piles often. Hes not going to break arm tackles from DTs..he is routinely held up by LB near the line. I feel that may be more mental than anything physical. Why you ask? Because even when Eladon Roberts was just starting off as a FB and not throwing the right blocks (to be nice) ..Michel hit holes harder and faster with conviction . Seems like him knowing someone is infront of him absorbing the first contact helps him over a mental hurdle.

I think we threw the ball waaaaay too much this year. I hope Brady never has more than 35 attempts in a game for the rest of the season.

My “expectations” were that it wouldn’t be the worst draft class in Belichick’s tenure, and that they may have selected a player or two who could be worth a damn.

I think that 2017 draft class will hurt for awhile.
It wasn't but I'm done trying to offer a different PoV.

He's looked better the last few games but he still is an average running back. Disappointing that he looked worse this year and still doesn't look right in the passing game.

It wasn't but I'm done trying to offer a different PoV.
There can’t be too many draft classes that are worse than Rivers, Garcia, Wise, and McDermott. Not trying to be argumentative. Just stating the obvious.

There can’t be too many draft classes that are worse than Rivers, Garcia, Wise, and McDermott. Not trying to be argumentative. Just stating the obvious.
On average an NFL team hits on less than 25% of their picks.

Pats were 25% and grabbed a UFA starting DT

If you think better than league ave is not good then your expectations are out of wack

The drafting argument is impossible as somehow some people will claim Cyrus Jones and Duke Dawson weren't busts.

BB would agree. That’s one reason he only made four picks that year.

I think Michel is getting a really bad rep for a down year for the entire offense. I tend to agree with most that Michel may not have been worthy of a first rd pick (although ultimately I really do think its too early to call that..if we runs away these playoffs and dominates next season everyone would change their tune).

It is a little disappointing that he isnt the type of back to create opportunities himself and needs to rely on a fullback to be productive. The Chubb thing hurts a little however I read Simone critique his vision and to me that's absurd. In my eyes Michels greatest strength is his vision and anticipation and finding little openings to gain an extra 3+ yds... In the open field that is.

His issues start and end at the line of scrimmage. Hes not going to move piles often. Hes not going to break arm tackles from DTs..he is routinely held up by LB near the line. I feel that may be more mental than anything physical. Why you ask? Because even when Eladon Roberts was just starting off as a FB and not throwing the right blocks (to be nice) ..Michel hit holes harder and faster with conviction . Seems like him knowing someone is infront of him absorbing the first contact helps him over a mental hurdle.
Sony has looked better the last few weeks, but only in the sense that he is fighting harder after contact. Still not a lot of great results from it. OK, but not great by any means. He just does not have any special speed, quickness or feel for where to pick up yards. He's not small at 215 lbs, but seems at times to get tackled like he is 25 lbs smaller. In today's NFL, it's a pretty big limitation that a RB is only good with a fullback in front of him.

I'm sorry but after his second season I am calling him a bust. If he was a 3rd round RB I would give him a pat on the back and say he is a serviceable RB but he is a first round pick. As a first round pick he should be special. He should be seeing more than 38% of the snaps in the most important game of the year. He should be lowering his shoulder and gaining an extra few yards instead of running out of bounds in a playoff game.

I know with each bad game the legend of his 2018 postseason seems to grow and I won't take anything away from him there. He played 3 good games and helped us win a Super Bowl but that O-line combined with Gronk and Devlin blocking for him was a big part of it. Your first round pick should be able to make some plays here and there even if the circumstances aren't ideal and he cannot do that.

Picked the wrong Georgia back unfortunately. It looks like the situation needs to be perfect for Sony to have a good game (great line play and a FB). He’s still on rookie money and he’s serviceable, but the Patriots will probably move on unless he makes great leaps in the next couple years.

I think the offense is fixed, including Sony, for the most part. It's the defense I've somehow become worried about.

Well, that did not age well.

Sony was a jock strap carrier in Georgia

It’s a good thing Sony set the bar for himself so low for most of the season.

Sony was explosive and he broke lots of tackles with Georgia. I’m guessing his knee issues have a lot to do with him not looking like the same player from when he was in college. It’s like watching a different player which is concerning.

Need to understand that the OL and scheme must be part of the run game for the RB to succeed.
Titans OL pushed the Patriots DL "forward" while Henry zips by.

That push is not always there for Michel, as he ran outside to get yardage.

First Round RB's are supposed to be Explosive that Sony is Not! Wish we could do that pick over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents