PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

some random thoughts

SacPete1

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
1. As mgteich and others have pointed out, the lack of TE's is really hurting this offense both running and passing. A healthy Gronk and Sudfeld really changes things.
2. I still think KT will be alright. The almost catch he made in the endzone was tremendous. Dobson is a very good athlete but he looks so unsure of himself right now and if he doesn't turn things around, Brady won't look at him. Boyce barely played last night and I'll be curious to see if he spells AD a little more next game assuming Amendola isn't ready.
3. Discouraging to see Brady still having to line guys up in the right spot.
4. Very thin at RB. Blount runs way to high and has no explosion. Washington is barely seen. I hope Bolden returns next game and replaces Blount. Did anyone else's heart stop when Ridley was bobbling that pitch?
5. Defense is solid. We'll see how the secondary plays against a good QB but I like what I see.
6. With so many teams playing with a 3 WR base set, I just don't see where Spikes fits going forward. Would like to see Collins a little more and I liked the Buchanan DE and Jones DT look.
7. The Offense is facing the most adversity its seen in years and they will either develop a mental toughness that will serve them down the road or their collective confidence will continue to slide. I'm banking on the former given their history.

1. A healthy Gronk really changes things. Hopefully, a healthy Sudfeld can somewhat change things, too.

2. Agreed on KT. I think he showed progress in the 4 days since the prior game. That should continue. Dobson was in his first game. He needs to get over the jitters and simply catch the ball. That was not a good showing. Guys with hands like that usually find a job on defense. The missed routes, I expect at this point and that should improve, but he also got open enough to be a big-time weapon, IF he catches the ball consistently.

3. Meh. It's week 2 with a bunch of rookies and a short week of game planning. That's par for the course.

4. Blount is big, but doesn't run big. I'd be interested in seeing his weight room numbers to see whether he's weak for his size or whether it's simply technique. It's probably the latter. He needs to lean forward and drive. Ugh, I hate watching him. Hard to imagine that Bolden will have a lot of drive coming off a knee injury however.

In terms of hearts stopping when that pitch got bobbled, I'm pretty sure Stevan's did. That sort of reminder is good for him.

5. Agreed. The secondary's performance was less enhanced by drops this week.

6. Yes, Spikes hasn't measured-up to his showing from last year yet, but there's time. He needs to get used to not playing as often and still bringing it when he's in there.

7. I think so, too. Sure will be an interesting year.

My thoughts are why is Hooman -Develin and Blount still on this Team?:confused: NONE of them do anything well. BB currently have three roster spots available occupied by those guys. BB needs to raid a Practice squad or three and sign three guys who can replace them enough is enough.:mad:

My thoughts are why is Hooman -Develin and Blount still on this Team?:confused: NONE of them do anything well. BB currently have three roster spots available occupied by those guys. BB needs to raid a Practice squad or three and sign three guys who can replace them enough is enough.:mad:

Not everyone on any team is a pro-bowler. I believe that AH cap hit is hanging over the team like a Joe Btfsblk cloud and the team is doing all it can within reason to soften the blow next year by being extra careful with this years spending.

I lack the same type of hype for Thompkins as most; he has 6 receptions on 21 targets, and seems to be having a really hard time getting open.

Dobson on the other hand was open a lot but dropped the ball; at least he was getting separation and getting open though. I am much higher on Dobson than I am on Thompkins overall.

I lack the same type of hype for Thompkins as most; he has 6 receptions on 21 targets, and seems to be having a really hard time getting open.

Dobson on the other hand was open a lot but dropped the ball; at least he was getting separation and getting open though. I am much higher on Dobson than I am on Thompkins overall.
Thompkins and Dobson have both demonstrated an ability to get separation through 1 and 2 games respectively. Thompkins was being held for the majority of his snaps against Buffalo. Their problems appear to be rookie mistakes by running wrong routes or dropping catchable balls. These problems are correctable.

assuming gronk, sudfeld, vareen and amendola are healthy, all the team needs really is one of the 3 rookies WRs to step up. The reason I say this is because Edelman is going to become the number 2 receiver in this offense and has impressed so far. Plenty of targets for Brady.

Of course a lack of TEs is hurting this team (especially in the redzone) This O is mostly built around the TEs

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back