PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some perspective on the offense before we bounce off the walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I suspect most of us do not need this sort of I'm-the-adult-here advice. The fact is that the Pats - right now, before the draft, before any further signings or trades - are in terrific shape on all three sides of the ball (bad geometry, I know). I'd be VERY surprised if we were not by a hefty margin the top favorite to win the next championship.

I'm more interested at this point in gratitude for our good fortune in having the best team in the league from the owners on down than I am in some faux "serious concern" over our falling some modest bit short of perfection. After all, we are human, though in Belichick's case, you might want to say, "just barely."

This is fun, right?

What positions do you think we'll use our draft picks

Pending further moves in FA (and we're just going into Day-3 with probably around $35M in cap space left) ...

with seven picks between #72 and #239 (+ UDFAs), I think BB will generally be looking for, in no particular order ...

DE, LB, SS, FS, CB
RB (lead), TE (inline or move)

This is not to say that BB won't take DT or OL, but ...

Even so, there are still quite a few UFA and STFA RBs and LBs left to choose from.

Pending further moves in FA (and we're just going into Day-3 with probably around $35M in cap space left) ...

with seven picks between #72 and #239 (+ UDFAs), I think BB will generally be looking for, in no particular order ...

DE, LB, SS, FS, CB
RB (lead), TE (inline or move)

This is not to say that BB won't take DT or OL, but ...

Even so, there are still quite a few UFA and STFA RBs and LBs left to choose from.
I expect Belichick to fill the lower ranks of the roster with prospects, drafted or acquired, some younger with intriguing but uncertain potential, some a pretty sure if somewhat dull thing, as he always does. That approach forms the basis of a successful next-man-up approach. It is similar to the best-player-available approach usually associated with top-of-the-roster prospects. Bill is smart enough to apply that thinking down-roster. He can only use slots in this way, of course, because he manages the roster over time in such a way that we RARELY have those glaring gaps which must urgently be filled, the perennial state of losing franchises across the league.

The difference would be that this defense may be leaps and bounds above that 07 defense. At least on paper anyway. Still got to play the games.

I am not ready to say this yet. The 2007 team had a significantly better defensive line. The 2017 team should have a significantly better secondary. The remainder of this offseason will determine how those defenses stack up.

..remembering that more talent doesn't always mean better results.

But I agree with you, we should be better on both sides of the ball with Cooks and Gillmore.

Lot of factors calculate into the mix. As another poster mentioned in another thread. Brady went 14-1 after his bs vacation. Even in that Seattle game they lost, plays were left on the field.

Its not something anyone should outright be predicting outside of the forum, but in light of recent events it approaching the back of fans minds. Probably even opposing fans are having nightmares about another dominating Patriot season.

Best players available.

Exactly. The goal of the pre-draft off season is to fill the roster so the draft can be in full prospecting mode, not worried about need.

I expect the Pats to sign an OT and LB prior to the draft, then grab a RB at some point before camp.

Then the draft and UDFA signings can be what it is: a crap shoot that turns out two or three good players out of a dozen picks/invites.

Unless JG is traded and there's a sudden influx of a 1st or several 2nd round picks.

What positions do you think we'll use our draft picks?
What draft picks?

But seriously folks…

We need to double-dip at DE (early-rounder + late-rounder), then:
Power Back
Left/Swing Tackle
Coverage LB
CB

Defense still win's championships. I think resigning high and signing odrick would be nice. Also i wanna see brady get to work early with some of these new guys on offense.

I thought our defense sucked last year, according to you?

FWIW I don't think the defense is significantly worse right now. As long as we keep Hightower the defense will be good, and if we keep Butler it will probably even improve. We won't be #1 in PPG again because of our schedule, but that was kind of a mirage this past year anyway. Dealing with the fallout from that will not he fun, I foresee a lot of panic over essentially nothing.

It wasn't a mirage at all. This was the best defense in the league last year. #1 in points allowed by 2 PPG (that's significant), they held the Steelers to 9 points for the vast majority of the AFCCG (they added 8 points when the game was already over), held the 7th highest scoring offense of all time to 21 points and to 1/8 on 3rd down. Oh, and they helped the team win a SB, too.

They'll have every opportunity to be even better next season, barring injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back