PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some perspective on the offense before we bounce off the walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I can't help but think of the weeks leading to SB51. We were facing the high powered Atlanta O and they kept saying they were unstoppable that they would shread up our D. That the NFL has perhaps never seen anything like this. We tried to give them perspective talking about our D and how it was legit and could slow them down and all time O rarely get it done without a top D to boot.

This was of course all quickly dimissed and we were often assured we would be lit up and not keep up with their superior offensive talent. In the end they were held to 21 offensive points and again an all time O was stopped and lost in the super bowl.

If Gronk stays healthy and other key players do as well I have no doubt we are in for the best O we have seen here since 2012 and maybe 2007. That is great. I am not anti-great offense but now we need to keep perspective and know this all time O if it turns into that (scoring say 34+ PPG) will not simply roll every team and we will face Ds that will slow it down.

Investment in D is still key to a championship and while I am happy with these moves if they don't complete the finishes touches on D and make it a top unit I will not feel too confident with a just pretty good D and great O. I think it has been shown that is not the formula to win.

So I very much hope we sign Hightower and keep Butler and sure up the pass rush a bit more. If they do then I will be happy. If not I worry we will fall into the same trap we did in 2007 and the Falcons did last year. Teams that seem to come up just a tad bit short.

I can't help but think of the weeks leading to SB51. We were facing the high powered Atlanta O and they kept saying they were unstoppable that they would shread up our D. That the NFL has perhaps never seen anything like this. We tried to give them perspective talking about our D and how it was legit and could slow them down and all time O rarely get it done without a top D to boot.

This was of course all quickly dimissed and we were often assured we would be lit up and not keep up with their superior offensive talent. In the end they were held to 21 offensive points and again an all time O was stopped and lost in the super bowl.

If Gronk stays healthy and other key players do as well I have no doubt we are in for the best O we have seen here since 2012 and maybe 2007. That is great. I am not anti-great offense but now we need to keep perspective and know this all time O if it turns into that (scoring say 34+ PPG) will not simply roll every team and we will face Ds that will slow it down.

Investment in D is still key to a championship and while I am happy with these moves if they don't complete the finishes touches on D and make it a top unit I will not feel too confident with a just pretty good D and great O. I think it has been shown that is not the formula to win.

So I very much hope we sign Hightower and keep Butler and sure up the pass rush a bit more. If they do then I will be happy. If not I worry we will fall into the same trap we did in 2007 and the Falcons did last year. Teams that seem to come up just a tad bit short.

Defense still win's championships. I think resigning high and signing odrick would be nice. Also i wanna see brady get to work early with some of these new guys on offense.

If they are able to keep Hightower and Butler while adding a couple of more BB like free agents/draftees, I might just go out and say its beginning to look like another run at perfection. The difference would be that this defense may be leaps and bounds above that 07 defense. At least on paper anyway. Still got to play the games.

TEAMS win championships more than individual units. Every one of the team's wins were done with contributions on both sides of the ball. Atlanta had a ****ty defense. This team likely won't. The sky is the limit.

Although the loss of Ryan hurts, they resigned several cogs from a very solid d last year. The fact Hightower is taking his time seems to bode well for his return. If Malcolm stays, then that's a very formidable secondary. This team is very balanced right now, although I'd like to find another lb to cover tes and rbs.

I opened this thinking I was gonna get some much needed perspective because I've been bouncing off the walls all night.

First line I can't help but think of SB51......bouncing even higher now.

We just won the SB and if we resign HT then our O and our D might legitimately be better than last year's team.

It's still so so early, but....if the doomsday scenario (at this point) happens, I don't see how adding Ealy and Gilmore is an improvement on defense over losing Hightower, Butler, Ryan, etc... Has anyone even suggested a viable alternative at LB to take Hightower's role?

FWIW I don't think the defense is significantly worse right now. As long as we keep Hightower the defense will be good, and if we keep Butler it will probably even improve. We won't be #1 in PPG again because of our schedule, but that was kind of a mirage this past year anyway. Dealing with the fallout from that will not he fun, I foresee a lot of panic over essentially nothing.

I agree, but we have all the cap space we need to put the finishing touches on this defense. The secondary is already all locked up and looks like top-5 in league at the very minimum assuming we keep Butler. If we resign Hightower linebacker will be fine, we could probably use another decent guy but we dont need one. Interior DL is stacked, that really only leaves edge rushers to be addressed. We need atleast 2 edge rushers. Flowers and Ealy are more of interior pass rushers. Im thinking Demarcus Ware and maybe a trade acquisition or a high draft pick or something.

FWIW I don't think the defense is significantly worse right now. As long as we keep Hightower the defense will be good, and if we keep Butler it will probably even improve. We won't be #1 in PPG again because of our schedule, but that was kind of a mirage this past year anyway. Dealing with the fallout from that will not he fun, I foresee a lot of panic over essentially nothing.

I think gilmore will be very good for us. I expect us to play more press coverage.

As of this moment, understanding more changes will be made, and being aware that "set" doesn't mean being so good that an upgrade is not possible:

CB is set 1-3
S is set 1-3
LB is a weakness
DT is set
DE/PR needs 1-2 more players

QB is set 1-3
RB needs an RB1
TE is set at least 1-2
WR is set 1-5
OL probably needs an OT3 and a C, but is in good enough shape to play with what's there, if needed

Given that it's only day 2 into free agency, I think it should be fine if people want to bounce off the walls a bit.

If they are able to keep Hightower and Butler while adding a couple of more BB like free agents/draftees, I might just go out and say its beginning to look like another run at perfection. The difference would be that this defense may be leaps and bounds above that 07 defense. At least on paper anyway. Still got to play the games.

Oh god, don't let's start talking about perfection please. I'm sure BB wants to go 19-0 every single season and has a plan to do that if the players execute it perfectly. I do not want to be in a position where we've been flapping our gums all offseason about perfection this, perfection that, and turn around and lose a close Game 1 because the team hasn't fully gelled yet.

I will start talking of perfection as a possibility after game 15 is in the books and we won all 15 of them.,

As long as we resign hightower and keep butler we will be just as good if not better on defense.

..remembering that more talent doesn't always mean better results.

But I agree with you, we should be better on both sides of the ball with Cooks and Gillmore.

What positions do you think we'll use our draft picks

Until we sign Hightower LB is #1. No ifs ands or buts.

If we sign Hightower it is questionable between LB & DE.

The Pats honestly don't need a running game to win. Looking at SB49 and SB51 kind of proves it. They ran horribly both games but it didn't matter. A running game makes it easier though of course. So even though they are missing that #1 RB I consider it naturally a lower priority.

I would say if we Sign High and keep Butler...

#1 DE
#2 LB
#3 RB

After this you are talking about depth and upgrading guys. The 4th/5th DE is nice but not needed (Ealy/Flowers/Nink/Draftee would be enough). 2 LBs is all you need these days.

#4 Center (first spot I look to upgrade. Andrews is average at best and hit his ceiling)
#5 #4th DE (Nink I think is a JAG at this point TBH. I thank him for his service but about that time. Also Ealy is probably a 1 year deal)
#6 CB (IDK if Butler is here next year... We want someone in the pipe line and I don't trust Cyrus. Rather get a jump on it now then next year)

I would start there.

I will say this the 2017 Patriots Offense is officially Gronk Proof. We have now morphed into a Elite WR Offense that can hurt from anywhere on the Field. A year Two Chris Hogan and Malcolm Mitchell. Brandin Cooks have Terry Glenn like skill set I don't know how Teams are going to cover us $hi!t I forgot about Edelman.:oops: See what I mean if we think rival Teams hate us now wait until next season. Again whether Gronk can stay healthy or not will not be the focus of this Offense Gronk is now a luxury.

Listen to Rocky ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft