PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solution to the RB issue at the deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

primetime

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So we're looking for a running back because Morris looked like he took one pretty bad and his status is unknown for the next few games and Maroney is banged up as well.

People have said Kevan Barlow, Tatum Bell, Verron Haynes, Justin Fargas, and even suggested ringing up Corey Dillon to bring him back out of retirement or trading for Ricky Williams pending reinstatement.

But what about another guy who the Pats could pick out of the left field bleachers to suit up in the backfield?

I'm talking about Tiki Barber.

Unlike Dillon, Barber retired at the top of his game. Unfortunately, his rights are still owned by the Giants, so it would take a trade to pry him away, but the Giants would take anything they can get for his rights at this point; if Tiki wants to come back and play, I'd rather give up a late pick for him than Tatum Bell. Tiki has said he won't come back and play for the Buccaneers with his brother, but what if he had an awesome chance to add a Super Bowl ring to his television studio wardrobe? Would he do it?

Could the Patriots be on the phone with Tiki and the Giants right now, trying to work out a deal before tomorrow's deadline? I doubt it, but it wouldn't be a bad fit at all, and it's fun to imagine.

Last edited:
Tiki Barber to the Pats? Umm.....

I don't think it would happen. However, it would be a very nice addition. Tiki still has a lot left in the tank. But, Tiki seems like he really doesn't want to take the pouding anymore and enjoys his job as an analyst for NBC. Also, I think Barber's legacy as RB would be viewed differently if he just "came out of retirement" for a 6-0 team that has an excellent chance of winning the superbowl instead of being the guy that helped the Giants go to the superbowl. It would just look weird but I wouldn't mind it.

But if the Morris is out for signifigant amount of time, the Pats should definitely look into a RB. Kevan Barlow always has had some talent and runs pretty hard when he wants to, but loses desire after playing for losing teams. The only year the 9ers were good, he had a thousand yards rushing. The Jets were losers and the Steelers didn't fare well last year. I'm sure he would play very hard for the Pats and might make in impact in the RB rotation.

Another thought is the theory of the Pats signing/trading for players that have "killed" them in the past such as Welker and Morris. Therefore, the Pats should trade for Tatum Bell. Bell has had success running against the Pats with the Broncos' zone blocking scheme and has asked to be traded. The only negative in his game is that Bell is not known to be a "banger between the tackles".

* If Barber was willing to play for the Pats and got into "game shape", I would think it would be "game over" for the rest of the NFL. The Pats would have so many offensive players that can hurt you in many ways.

Last edited:
So we're looking for a running back because Morris looked like he took one pretty bad and his status is unknown for the next few games and Maroney is banged up as well.

People have said Kevan Barlow, Tatum Bell, Verron Haynes, Justin Fargas, and even suggested ringing up Corey Dillon to bring him back out of retirement or trading for Ricky Williams pending reinstatement.

But what about another guy who the Pats could pick out of the left field bleachers to suit up in the backfield?

I'm talking about Tiki Barber.

Unlike Dillon, Barber retired at the top of his game. Unfortunately, his rights are still owned by the Giants, so it would take a trade to pry him away, but the Giants would take anything they can get for his rights at this point; if Tiki wants to come back and play, I'd rather give up a late pick for him than Tatum Bell. Tiki has said he won't come back and play for the Buccaneers with his brother, but what if he had an awesome chance to add a Super Bowl ring to his television studio wardrobe? Would he do it?

Could the Patriots be on the phone with Tiki and the Giants right now, trying to work out a deal before tomorrow's deadline? I doubt it, but it wouldn't be a bad fit at all, and it's fun to imagine.

Old News, I already brought Tiki up yesterday. Unlike you though I told people to hold their laughes while posting this, lol!

Old News, I already brought Tiki up yesterday. Unlike you though I told people to hold their laughes while posting this, lol!

Sorry, didn't see it! Definitely agree that it's an insanely long shot, but it was just an idea to throw out.

One guy I'd like them to consider is Mewelde Moore. He'd fit this offense real well, though he's more of a Faulk type than every down back.

Plus, asking price is currently a 4th which is too much.

tiki...we can trade for him ok... but will he produce immediately , no... he is not in football shape... he has been accustomed doing his morning show with matt laugher that it seems al roker is in better shape than tiki.

One guy I'd like them to consider is Mewelde Moore. He'd fit this offense real well, though he's more of a Faulk type than every down back.

Plus, asking price is currently a 4th which is too much.

Well I was bummed when we passed on Moore in the fourth round of the draft without trying to trade up or something and get him over PK Sam and Cedric Cobbs, so I feel he would EASILY be worth a fourth today to the right situation.

depends how bad Morris's injury is. if hes out for a couple weeks..we wont get any big name. if hes out for rest of season or something..then we'll get a bigger name..dont think it'll be tiki though

Tiki is happy and fully committed to his new life as a member of the media. Not a chance.

Well I was bummed when we passed on Moore in the fourth round of the draft without trying to trade up or something and get him over PK Sam and Cedric Cobbs, so I feel he would EASILY be worth a fourth today to the right situation.

If they are asking a 4th for Moore then you give them a 5th or 6th. With Adrian Peterson looking legendary in Minnesota, Moore is a forgotten spare part. And he doesn't project to be a starter for us anyways. Just a fill in until Morris/Maroney get healthy.

If they are asking a 4th for Moore then you give them a 5th or 6th. With Adrian Peterson looking legendary in Minnesota, Moore is a forgotten spare part. And he doesn't project to be a starter for us anyways. Just a fill in until Morris/Maroney get healthy.

After the issue between Childress and Belichick, would the Vikings even talk to the Pats, especially if it would benefit the Pats more thna the Vikings in the short run???

Tiki lost like 10 - 20 pounds and said he hasn't lifted since he retired. Not in football shape at all.

Tiki is happy and fully committed to his new life as a member of the media. Not a chance.
I gaurentee you that if NE offers Tiki a good deal he'll take it in a heartbeat.

Just run Junior Seau out there with Adalius Thomas taking the ball. ;)

Jim Brown is still alive, isn't he?

Jim Brown is still alive, isn't he?

Don't forget about OJ. He could use some cash too. How bout C.Dillon if Morris injury is serious?

If Tiki unretires he's still Giants property since he was under contract at the time he called it quits. Basically, you'd have to trade for him, since I doubt the Giants would let him walk to the Patriots for free.

yup and giving up a 2nd for wes was too much. as we see it wasnt. a fourth or a 3rd or 2nd for a very good rb if morris and maroney are out is alright with me.

how many 2nd and later picks really turn out to be studs?

yup and giving up a 2nd for wes was too much. as we see it wasnt. a fourth or a 3rd or 2nd for a very good rb if morris and maroney are out is alright with me.

how many 2nd and later picks really turn out to be studs?

Well, just on the Patriots defense, you have the following players who are, or have been, starters, and are second round draftees and lower, going all the way down to 'undrafted' status:

Bruschi
Vrabel
Samuel
Hobbs
Gay
Thomas
Harrison
Wilson
Colvin
Sanders

As for the "studs" determination, that will, naturally, depend on your definition, but I'd say that's a pretty darned good group of players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots