PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Solid" Patriot Defense Is 32nd on 3rd Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Patriots defense can eliminate some of the mental mistakes, it would provide more chances for the Patriots offense. Case in point, the Gary Guyton helmet-to-helmet hit on Favre to extend the drive deep in Patriots territory at the end of the first quarter. In addition, the Brandon Meriweather pass interference call on Randy Moss to extend the drive deep in Patriots territory during the fourth quarter. Why even bother calling a cornerback blitz by Arrington on that play?

There are always going to be penalties.
Are you saying calling a corner blitz is a mental mistake based on one time it didnt work out?

Done, although I have no idea what you are trying to teach about about 'situational football' using these #s. Better one IMO, are the quarterly ones that compare the 3rd down eff with the scores at that point to show who was at lead and how much the lead was. That is situational football.

In any case, here you go (courtesy of the earlier posts :D):

=============
Opponent 3rd down conversion
First half 17/41 ……41.4%
second half 24/43…..55.8%
=============

Now, assignment for you (you can do it at work ;)): give me the stats of the current strong D teams to illustrate your trend in the league w.r.t bend-not-break.

Merci!

By strong, I will limit my research to teams that are 6-1.

Oh look, you did it.

Thanks, unfortunately, the NFL is not fantasy football.

I guess the real problem here is we have a coach that stresses "situational football" and you have zero idea what that is. I have seen dozens of clips where BB talks "situational football" but you don't of what I post.

That's the problem.

Are you saying calling a corner blitz is a mental mistake based on one time it didnt work out?
Meriweather on Moss one-on-one? Never again! Meriweather makes too many mental mistakes to leave alone against a premier wide receiver. Besides, the corner blitz is more effective from the slot receiver position.

I liked the call. I liked seeing the Pats being more aggressive in defense in the 2nd half and blitzing Favre. The defense is getting more experienced, so I think BB has more confidence in blitzing and allowing his DBs to be in one on one coverage on WRs from time to time

I think most people agree that the 3rd down defense this year has been terrible. However, I think most people will agree that flashes of good defense have been seen.

What has been happening is that the Patriots have been making enough plays to win. I hope that continues. I don't care if the opponent converts every third down opportunity as long as the pats win.

In my observation there are three things that have a huge impact on how good an NFL team is:

1) health
2) turnovers
3) third down conversions (offense and defense)

Of the things on this list you can have the most control over is third down conversions. You have to get off the field on third down (or pick up third downs to extend drives).

This defense seems to never get off the field as quickly.The D-line needs to be upgraded through the draft or through FA.I thought the DL wasnt a big factor yesterday.They give up alot of plays down the middle.I am happy to be 6-1 and i will take it.:p

I wonder if this stat could be found.

I know the Pats defense's 3rd down conversion rate is too high, I'm wondering if they force teams into more 3rd down situations than most teams. The one thing that I liked from the start about this defense was how grudgingly they gave up yardage. It seemed, by the eyeball test at least, most of our opponents drives, even when successful are 10-15 plays long, with the most of the first downs needing 3 plays to get.

I wonder if there are stats that confirm or debunk this theory.

Of the things on this list you can have the most control over is third down conversions. You have to get off the field on third down (or pick up third downs to extend drives).
At least the New England Patriots offense holds up their end of the bargain.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

Be careful with those offensive stats.This offense still has problem with consistency.Welker basically has been taken out of most games.

Be careful with those offensive stats.This offense still has problem with consistency.Welker basically has been taken out of most games.
I guess 28 points scored yesterday by the Patriots offense was insufficient? :eek:

If the Patriots defense can eliminate some of the mental mistakes, it would provide more chances for the Patriots offense. Case in point, the Gary Guyton helmet-to-helmet hit on Favre to extend the drive deep in Patriots territory at the end of the first quarter. In addition, the Brandon Meriweather pass interference call on Randy Moss to extend the drive deep in Patriots territory during the fourth quarter. Why even bother calling a cornerback blitz by Arrington on that play?

The first play by Guyton was stupid but aggressive.

The second, Meriwether's tackle of Moss when he was beaten, was a fine, intelligent play. It resulted in a Flag but prevented a certain TD by Moss.

All game long Meriwether's assigned job was to play deep on Moss and take him out of the game. He did his job. There was an ancillary benefit as a third line of Defense to stop a Harvin breakaway or a Peterson long run for a TD. It did that as well.

The one time Moss got free, Meriwether was beaten, and couldn't do anything but tackle Moss and it prevented a score.

"Bend but don't Break", in action.

Last edited:
"Bend but don't Break", in action.
"Bend don't break" in action would not have Arrington on the corner blitz with regard to the Randy Moss pass interference play. I personally did not care for the play call (corner blitz) since the Patriots were "bringing the house" anyway.

Good stuff in this thread, especially the data.

Those saying that it is no big deal to be worst in the league on third down, just because we are 5-1 are idiots. I guarantee BB and company are agonizing over this, working with the secondary. We will get embarassed soon by this, and it will KILL us in the postseason. Wins in the regular season are good, but I'd give up that 16-0 regular season in a heartbeat if it meant we won the SB.

It makes a big deal of difference where and how you yield those 3rd down conversions. The Patriots are are inviting the plays and surrendering them in the middle of the field. They usually occur on passes, needing YAC, with several defenders deeper, to insure no breakaway TDs.

Sooner or later someone will screw up and get a stop; or the opponents will march down into the Red zone where the Pats Defense compresses, and points and yards are proving much tougher to get.

Last edited:
By strong, I will limit my research to teams that are 6-1.

Oh look, you did it.

Thanks, unfortunately, the NFL is not fantasy football.

I guess the real problem here is we have a coach that stresses "situational football" and you have zero idea what that is. I have seen dozens of clips where BB talks "situational football" but you don't of what I post.

That's the problem.

Read carefully, if you can. I said 'strong defense', not just strong.

And, I wasn't asking for those two stats that you wanted; I wanted different #s to see if you can support your claim that this was a trend in the league.

Thanks for the sharing the news that the NFL is not fantasy football. :rolleyes:

My mistake in assuming that you were man enough to take up simple assignments to back your claim just as you happily dish them out.

Bigger mistake assuming that you will educate fellow fans - especially since you claim to understand BB's clips better that others - and relate it to the two third down #s that you asked for.

Try to be humble and share knowledge if you can. It will help you in real life once you are done with your fantasy world.

"Bend don't break" in action would not have Arrington on the corner blitz with regard to the Randy Moss pass interference play. I personally did not care for the play call (corner blitz) since the Patriots were "bringing the house" anyway.
"Bend but don't break" has nothing to do with play call, it's a philosophy. Getting that pass interference call over a touchdown is a perfect example of bend, but don't break.

the worst 3erdown in nfl history. a 3erd and long is like a 2 and 1 or 1 and 5 for other teams

"Bend but don't break" has nothing to do with play call, it's a philosophy. Getting that pass interference call over a touchdown is a perfect example of bend, but don't break.
The pass interference call eventually led to a Minnesota Vikings touchdown on that drive. The cornerback blitz "broke" the Patriots defense and allowed the Minnesota Vikings back in the game.

Read carefully, if you can. I said 'strong defense', not just strong.

And, I wasn't asking for those two stats that you wanted; I wanted different #s to see if you can support your claim that this was a trend in the league.

Thanks for the sharing the news that the NFL is not fantasy football. :rolleyes:

My mistake in assuming that you were man enough to take up simple assignments to back your claim just as you happily dish them out.

Bigger mistake assuming that you will educate fellow fans - especially since you claim to understand BB's clips better that others - and relate it to the two third down #s that you asked for.

Try to be humble and share knowledge if you can. It will help you in real life once you are done with your fantasy world.

Hey sport

Well go back to 2009 and look at the Saints and Colts defense.

Review the Titans this year. When did 400+ yards passing become common? Notice the number this year? Why is it happening?

If 3rd down stops were so important, how can that team be 6-1?

It's either not that important a stat or the team isn't 6-1.

Since you are into meaningful stats; have you tracked unicorn herding for the 32 NFL teams?

The pass interference call eventually led to a Minnesota Vikings touchdown on that drive. The cornerback blitz "broke" the Patriots defense and allowed the Minnesota Vikings back in the game.
I didn't like the play call either, but the interference gave the defense another chance to hold them to a field goal or get a turnover. It didn't turn out that way, but it's still the right decision, and in a future game it could save them some points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back