PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solder reunion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes me feel better.
The line did well against the Jete.

And Sanu could help as well?

Tom's time to throw this year is 2.58 sec. He was 2.61 and 2.71 in 2018 and 2017 respectfully. He was 2.52 in 2016. The point is hes getting time unlike 2015 when he was basically throwing it in 2.2/2.3 sec at the end of the year.

IMO Sanu is going to be HUGE. The dude gets open.

I think it's just a case of people oversimplifying the situation when they hear we have OL problems. They assume it means Brady needs better protection when the OL also has a second job (run blocking). I think the media is at least partially to blame for that.
Agree.

I agree with the notion Solder is not worth $13m a year nor do I expect the NEP to ever pay that for him. I can see them paying maybe $6-8m though.

Last edited:
LaConfora's source...

Vintage-Disney-1960s-Mickey-Mouse-Radio-AM-Battery.jpg

I think it's just a case of people oversimplifying the situation when they hear we have OL problems. They assume it means Brady needs better protection when the OL also has a second job (run blocking). I think the media is at least partially to blame for that.
I agree as well.
Which is why I'm assuming Sony hasn't had the production he had last year.

I know it is getting better.
This is a very solid team, albeit a few run blocking issues.

I cant wait to shut up the "Easy schedule" talking heads.

Where is the notion we are desperate for help coming from? I agree we need help with the run blocking but from a pass protection standpoint the o-line is on a pace to allow 22 sacks this year which would be the 7th lowest in TB12's 20 year career.

Wynn will be back in a couple of weeks. Thuney is fine. Shaq should get healthier. Cannon is OK.

The weakness is Karras b/c he is slow but from a pass-protection standpoint hes been fine.

Lack of sack numbers etc.. translates into a good pass protection grade? Sure it's a part of it but I think Brady getting rid of the ball quickly has masked some of the issues. Wynn coming back healthy is a huge boost in both the passing and the running game imo.

Lack of sack numbers etc.. translates into a good pass protection grade? Sure it's a part of it but I think Brady getting rid of the ball quickly has masked some of the issues. Wynn coming back healthy is a huge boost in both the passing and the running game imo.
I posted year to year time to throw numbers in another post.

2019 is consistent with other years TtT.

QB hits allowed per game by NEP o-line

2019-4.42
2018-4.25
2017-5.25
2016-4.56
2015-6.06

Analysis: Compared to other years, Tom gets the ball out quick and hes not getting hit a lot.

Last edited:
My predictions for @captain stone's nickname for Solder.

Nate Sold her.
Natalie Noblocker
Turnstile Nate

Seriously, I'm glad Nate was here and got a couple of well earned rings. But I don't think this is happening because of the dollars. If it is possible I wouldn't put much judgement into his stint with Giants because that was an awful situation across the board. Coaching, Sloth Manning etc.. wasn't something Nate was going to solve.

Nate was a fine LT. At times playing at great level other times closer to average. But given the overall tackle play in the league he was better than a lot of his peers.

I don't understand the sentiment some people have that anyone who is not an annual AP or PB level player is "trash".

Cant wait for the trade deadline to pass. So much noise..
The craziest part ? So much noise for a 7-0 team that keeps crushing opponents and who’s D could out score over half the teams in the League !

The ship on Nate has come and gone.

Why's he been so bad with the Giants? Is it because Manning didn't get the ball out as fast as TB? Or is the rest of their line much worse than the Patriots?

In otherwords, I'm trying to determine if Solder looked better here due to the surrounding cast.

I posted year to year time to throw numbers in another post.

2019 is consistent with other years TtT.

QB hits allowed per game by NEP o-line

2019-4.42
2018-4.25
2017-5.25
2016-4.56
2015-6.06

Analysis: Compared to other years, Tom gets the ball out quick and hes not getting hit a lot.

Ehh. Time to throw numbers are the same as sack numbers in that they're great in some context but useless when used to tell me that the pass protection is "fine" while I'm watching Newhouse missing blocks. Brady's pick vs Jete was a result of a missed block.

The pass protection is not fine. Brady and scheme make it look ok. Get Wynn back healthy and they'll be able to change blocking schemes for both pass and run which will help open up the offense.

OT: I'm enjoying watching them experimenting with LB's at FB. Which I hope also improves the overall protection.

I’m only interested if the Giants release him.

Why's he been so bad with the Giants? Is it because Manning didn't get the ball out as fast as TB? Or is the rest of their line much worse than the Patriots?

In otherwords, I'm trying to determine if Solder looked better here due to the surrounding cast.

Scheme and continuity are a huge part of offensive line play imo. Solder was a solid LT here. Eli holding on for too long, the Oline not working together as a unit ( picking up stunts etc) or a fullback missing his assignments can all wreck an offense. Solder wasn't going to solve their offensive line issues by himself.

The base salary on Solder's contract really isn't bad at all this year, thanks to his restructure. The Pats could trade for him and only be on the hook for whatever prorated portion of $5.4m remains for this season, I believe (so about half of that?). Then, they could cut him after this season with no dead money I think, since all the guaranteed money would stick with the Giants when they traded him?

I may be off there, but if that's the case it's definitely not that much money and is totally doable. The issue I have then is that even a merely competent-ish LT has a lot of trade value, and the Giants could command a lot for him given that he has a totally reasonable contract post-trade with them eating all of the dead cap associated with his guarantees. I think it would take a lot to get him, but if Wynn doesn't look like he'll be able to come back it's the kind of move that could win us the SB without costing much on the cap, so I don't hate it.

Cap $ makes this a moot point
Wish Nate well. Not an elite LT.
The Pats could make him fit the 2019 cap relatively easily with a few minor restructures if they felt so inclined. But he has a 12.9 and 13.9m cap charge in 2020 and 2021 which includes roster bonuses. They’d cut him before paying the 2020 roster bonus and have zero dead cap hit. So as a short-term 2019-only rental, it could happen if they think Solder is better insurance (for the money) for Wynn and Cannon than Newhouse, and if the trade cost is small (like 5th round or later). I don’t see why the Giants would do that, so it’s not happening.

Agree with most postings, trading for Solder is too high a cost for Patriots. If Solder was released, that will be different.

If Patriots can trade for a "upgrade to Newhouse", without breaking-the-bank, that would be ideal, IMO.

I think protecting Brady is more important than another offensive weapon, IMO.

LaCaforda also has an article up this morning saying BB “might opt” to retire in 2020. Clearly he is just spewing out random thoughts that pop into his head. If he did 5 minutes of research, he’s know that there’s no way the Pats can fit Soldier in under the cap.

LaCaforda also has an article up this morning saying BB “might opt” to retire in 2020. Clearly he is just spewing out random thoughts that pop into his head. If he did 5 minutes of research, he’s know that there’s no way the Pats can fit Soldier in under the cap.

I also might go out of the house today or might not.

Ehh. Time to throw numbers are the same as sack numbers in that they're great in some context but useless when used to tell me that the pass protection is "fine" while I'm watching Newhouse missing blocks. Brady's pick vs Jete was a result of a missed block.

The pass protection is not fine. Brady and scheme make it look ok. Get Wynn back healthy and they'll be able to change blocking schemes for both pass and run which will help open up the offense.

OT: I'm enjoying watching them experimenting with LB's at FB. Which I hope also improves the overall protection.
Ok so you poo-poo sacks, hits and time to throw metrics as ways of determining the quality of the pass offense and protection. That is your prerogative but the #s disagree with you.

If you look at Newhouse's #, they disagree with your eye test as well

Can he be upgraded? Yes.

Has he been turnstile? Nope

Ok so you poo-poo sacks, hits and time to throw metrics as ways of determining the quality of the pass offense and protection. That is your prerogative but the #s disagree with you.

If you look at Newhouse's #, they disagree with your eye test as well

Can he be upgraded? Yes.

Has he been turnstile? Nope

Wow. I just watched the Jets game this morning. Your " they're fine" numbers are wrong. Didn't say Newhouse was a turnstile. Said he's missing blocks and assignments. He could develop into a nice swing lineman or tackle but does not mean he's fine now.

Your numbers are a reflection of scheme, play calling and Brady.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes