PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slater not signed - Meets with Steelers (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, in the past I've always laughed off the annual suggestion that Slater is definitely gone which usually comes about because people just don't really pay much heed to ST value. But I really could see him being gone this offseason. Between age and years-long durability issues, he isn't the lock that he used to be, although I still believe he'll be back, and if he's willing to play for less than his last contract I'd be shocked if he isn't back.
Yep. Healthy he is still a top STer. Hope they can work something out but I'd be shy about paying him $2m a year when he only plays ST.

Seems to me like Ebner got the big ST payday and not Slater

How much more would another team really give him that would make him want to leave? He's a great ST and a leader but I would have to think it would have to be a pretty big offer for him to consider leaving.

Yep. Healthy he is still a top STer. Hope they can work something out but I'd be shy about paying him $2m a year when he only plays ST.

Seems to me like Ebner got the big ST payday and not Slater
Didn't the even more useless Brandon King receive a better deal than Ebner?

Alarm, we resigned most of our ST, what is going on with Slater. He was ST captain. BB is losing it
He is 32 years old, has missed 9 games in the past 2 seasons and had more tackles in 2015 than he had in the last 2 seasons combined.

Do you just not believe in special teams or something?
I don't believe in paying them as if they are actually capable of playing a real position, and I especially don't believe in paying 3 of them that way.

Would they get a comp draft pick if he leaves?

Thought he would retire . surprising & strange

Bb is ok with letting a player leave a year early as opposed to a year late. But This smells like a money issue.

I'll also pose this question: How did Slater play this year? I get that everyone's hyping Slater up for his continuous Pro Bowls, but did he maintain that same level of ST play during this season, as he had the last few? That must be important to Belichick when considering who to sign and let go. Would their contract match their current level of play - hype aside - or their past?

I'll be 100% honest and say that I can't reflect on this year's play compared to his prior years. If anyone had some knowledge, please share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back