PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slater not signed - Meets with Steelers (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihap

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Alarm, we resigned most of our ST, what is going on with Slater. He was ST captain. BB is losing it

Cheap special teams players often sign later in the offseason. So do older guys who have moved onto the "year to year" stage of their career.

Slater? He's one, probably both.

Lets face facts.

32 year old oft-injured STers do not get big deals.

Hes still elite....when healthy.

I think Slater needs to decide if he wants to be here as he will most certainly get better offers elsewhere. Like TN and DET who desperately need leaders in the locker room.

Be honest. You've all seen Slater postgame on Patriots Fifth Quarter with the accountant glasses.
Has anyone, ANYONE here seen Miguel and Slater together in the same room?

I thought so.

There was just a tweet yesterday or so from Howe about Slater most probably getting an extension.

It was posted to the FA mega thread. People just miss things or just dont research and assume stuff..

We will see Slater in a Pats uniform in September, not to worry..

Lets face facts.

32 year old oft-injured STers do not get big deals.

Hes still elite....when healthy.

I think Slater needs to decide if he wants to be here as he will most certainly get better offers elsewhere. Like TN and DET who desperately need leaders in the locker room.

IDK about "better offers". He got $1.8M from the Pats in 2017 (with $600k guaranteed).

He's turning 33 and missed half of last season with a hamstring issue that started in Camp.

Also, he and his wife both have strong ties in the local community (she has a medical practice), so I'm not at all sure they'd be eager to leave over what seems unlikely to be a significant monetary difference.

IDK about "better offers". He got $1.8M from the Pats in 2017 (with $600k guaranteed).

He's turning 33 and missed half of last season with a hamstring issue that started in Camp.

Also, he and his wife both have strong ties in the local community (she has a medical practice), so I'm not at all sure they'd be eager to leave over what seems unlikely to be a significant monetary difference.
He's been banged up 3 years straight. His body is not what it used to be. As you and know all too well, age is not kind on the body.

The wife is a factor for sure and a NE girl. With that said it doesn't mean he wouldnt take a killer 1 year deal from say TN or DET.

With that said I know what it's like to live out of a suitcase. It sucks

He's a Patriot institution! I believe he's currently the third longest-tenured Patriot on the team.

He could probably retire this year and somehow still be selected for the Pro Bowl.

I am standing by to buy a new jersey (I do following every SB loss to change the mojo)....and really want a red Slater jersey..... C'mon...Matt...re-sign for one more run!!

He's been banged up 3 years straight. His body is not what it used to be. As you and know all too well, age is not kind on the body.

The wife is a factor for sure and a NE girl. With that said it doesn't mean he wouldnt take a killer 1 year deal from say TN or DET.

With that said I know what it's like to live out of a suitcase. It sucks

Yeah, in the past I've always laughed off the annual suggestion that Slater is definitely gone which usually comes about because people just don't really pay much heed to ST value. But I really could see him being gone this offseason. Between age and years-long durability issues, he isn't the lock that he used to be, although I still believe he'll be back, and if he's willing to play for less than his last contract I'd be shocked if he isn't back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call