PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Six Fun Trades That Could Affect The Draft-Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1) First Round pick #3. TRADE- New York Jets from San Diego Chargers (Chargers get Jets 1st Round pick #20, Jets pick. Jets 3rd Round pick #83 and DT Muhammad Wilkerson plus a conditional 2nd Round 2017 pick if Wilkerson does not sign an extension): NY Jets select: Jared Goff, QB, California (Or Wentz pending Cleveland)
Bolts get an elite D Line stopper at only 26. They can get that $15mm down via long term. Jets get a legit “Franchise QB”. The term “Franchise QB” means more than Sanchez/Geno

2) First Round pick #7. TRADE-Miami Dolphins from San Francisco 49ers (Pending prior Trade, San Francisco 49ers Trade QB Kaepernick to the Denver Broncos for Denver 3rd round pick #94.)

The Miami Dolphins get San Francisco 1st Round Pick #7, 2nd round pick, # 37, 3rd round pick #94 [via Denver for Kaepernick], and RB Carlos Hyde from the 49ers.

The San Francisco 49ers get QB Ryan Tannehill, “if reinstated” rights to DE Dion Jordon and Miami Dolphins 1st pick #13.

Chip gets his “run option” QB in Tannehill who has been mediocre for the Dolphins but better than the latest edition of Kaepernick who does not trust the 49ers organization. It was not a sure thing the Dolphins would have upped Tannehill and his too high salary in 2017 anyway.

The 49ers have CAP room after moving Kaepernick for Tannehill.

Former Oregon Duck Jordon would seek to reestablish his career with his former coach Chip Kelly.

Miami gets the RB they are desperate for.

3) First Round Pick #4. TRADE-Miami Dolphins from Dallas Cowboys via San Francisco 49ers. (In prior Trade, Miami Dolphins get 1st Round Pick #7 from the San Francisco 49ers.)

Dallas Cowboys get 1st Round pick #7, 2nd Round pick #42 from Miami Dolphins.

The Miami Dolphins get Dallas Cowboys 1st Round pick #4 and Dallas Cowboys 4th Round pick #101. Miami Dolphins select Jared Goff, QB, California (Or Wentz pending Cleveland)

The Cowboys make the trade gaining 96 Points according to the NFL Draft Value Chart by moving down just three spots and gaining a 4th Round pick.

The Dolphins picked up an extra pick in the 3rd Round and 4th Round in the Tannehill Trade so they have ammunition.

Adam Gase starts his Head Coach career with a shiny new QB and they still have the serviceable Matt Moore in reserve. Pick # 13 to get to pick #4 in the 1st Round would have cost the Dolphins too much. Trading Tannehill, who does not fit the Gase QB mold, makes sense.

4) Fifth Round Pick #144-TRADE-LA Rams from Denver Broncos. Denver Broncos Trade 5th Round Pick #144 to L.A. Rams for QB Nick Foles.

Younger than Sanchez and tall like Manning and Osweiler, Foles had 53 TDs and 27 INTs in 59 games. He also ran the ball well in 2013 surprisingly with 225 Yards. Might be a better fit than Sanchez in Kubiak’s system. Very affordable CAP wise for the strapped Broncos. Lynch will be gone before 1st Round pick #31 anyway. They can stand pat or go for a QB in the later rounds such as Hogan.

5) Third Round Pick #65- TRADE- New England Patriots from Cleveland Browns-Patriots get 3rd round pick #65, 5th Round pick #141 and CB Justin Gilbert. Browns receive OG Josh Kline, C David Andrews, WR Aaron Dobson and N.E 3rd Round pick # 91: Patriots select: Kenneth Dixson, RB, Lousiana Tech.

The Pats have 13 new FA players they have picked up and 12 Draft Choices on a Team that has few real holes.25 potential new faces! Cleveland needs bodies just to start by the first game of the season, not just ten rookies or so. Younger "Play-Off tested" Pats players to fill immediate holes makes sense for the Browns.The Past just picked up a new OG and have three players than can play Center. We are going to lose some of these guys anyway.

As far as Browns CB Justin Gilbert, he has size, speed and has talent. The Browns never got him going. Who’s fault was it? Maybe another "Cooperesque" BB reclamation project of a First Rounder. The Pats may then forgo a CB in the Draft.Worth a shot.

6) First Round Pick #14. TRADE-First Round Pick #19 of the Buffalo Bills to the Oakland Raiders(Bills get Raiders 1st Round pick #14, Bills 3rd Round pick #80.) The Buffalo Bills select: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

A QB in Round 1 would be a shocker for the Bills. The inconsistent Taylor has not been given an extension that he hoped for. Let’s face it, the Bills do NOT see him as the QB of the future. The Bills can decide NOT to pick up the option on bust E.J. Manuel and save some CAP room. Not extending Taylor can save on CAP room as well. After Lynch, the Drop off is significant in QB talent in this Draft. Lynch has a big arm for the Buffalo winters and lake effect wind. Taylor can play out the year while Lynch sits. Bills need to jump the Rams at pick #15.

Good business for the Raiders. McKenzie picks up a Third Rounder to move down five slots.

Just for fun and enjoyment Cousins. It shakes up the AFC East anyway.

No pitchforks please!

DW Toys

Last edited:
Well, as that old saying goes, it's all ****s and giggles until someone giggles and ****s

I have no idea of the permutations of possible trades, but it's not inconceivable that all AFC East Teams could consider rolling the dice on a new QB. In general I love the thought of the Pats going up against two or three rookies plus Kap in the mix

And hey - would anyone really blame the other AFC East teams for using Brady's final years in the hopes of finding a franchise QB out of the rookies? Now's the time to do it when the prospects of beating the Patriots are not all that good in the best of circumstances

How about the Pats giving a draft-day 3rd rounder for Josh Gordon? Its a dumpster fire over there in Cleveland so the timing is right.

How about the Pats giving a draft-day 3rd rounder for Josh Gordon? Its a dumpster fire over there in Cleveland so the timing is right.

I'm not opposed to taking a flier on Gordon, but a 3rd seems awfully high for a guy with that many problems.

The Jets have actually executed several recent trades for problematic WRs and done okay. They traded a 5th for Brandon Marshall and a 7th. They also traded a conditional 4th or 6th for Percy Harvin. Both of those guys generated more in earlier trades when they had fewer question marks attached to them, and neither has the question marks that Gordon does.

I'd be okay with a day 3 pick, but without our first this year, it's a big gamble to take. One might argue that the draft is a gamble too, but not all gambles are the same, and you get very different odds for different games. Which is why I like the deal for Gilbert. Trade a bunch of players who may not start here (but would definitely start in Cleveland) and take a chance on Gilbert, plus move up in the draft. I doubt Cleveland goes for it, but that's potentially 3 starters for them.

5) Third Round Pick #65- TRADE- New England Patriots from Cleveland Browns-Patriots get 3rd round pick #65, 5th Round pick #141 and CB Justin Gilbert. Browns receive OG Josh Kline, C David Andrews, WR Aaron Dobson and N.E 3rd Round pick # 91: Patriots select: Kenneth Dixson, RB, Lousiana Tech.

The Pats have 13 new FA players they have picked up and 12 Draft Choices on a Team that has few real holes.25 potential new faces! Cleveland needs bodies just to start by the first game of the season, not just ten rookies or so. Younger "Play-Off tested" Pats players to fill immediate holes makes sense for the Browns.The Past just picked up a new OG and have three players than can play Center. We are going to lose some of these guys anyway.

As far as Browns CB Justin Gilbert, he has size, speed and has talent. The Browns never got him going. Who’s fault was it? Maybe another "Cooperesque" BB reclamation project of a First Rounder. The Pats may then forgo a CB in the Draft.Worth a shot.

INOW dump our "problem children" in Cleveland and pick up one of their "problem children" who is described as "aloof" and "loner" by his team mates??? Then there is his salary cap hit of $3.5 and $4.0 million for the next two years..

Not sure I would give up Andrews.. still in his rookie contract and we have him for cheap money for two more years..

INOW dump our "problem children" in Cleveland and pick up one of their "problem children" who is described as "aloof" and "loner" by his team mates??? Then there is his salary cap hit of $3.5 and $4.0 million for the next two years..

Not sure I would give up Andrews.. still in his rookie contract and we have him for cheap money for two more years..

Not giving up on Andrews. I think he outplayed Stork, but the Patriots shoved in Stork as soon as he was well.Mason and Cooper can play Center besides Stork. We have 4 that can play that position.

I think you get relief back on some of the CAP with the three going out.

Understand, these 3 are not bad players. We are going to have to make tough decissions to keep them perhaps. Kline is an Ohio kid so that is not bad for him. The need a starting Guard. They need a Center too and Andrews won the nine games he started. The only incomplete is Dobson and the Browns need WR. They are all still young so Hue should have interest.

In my trade here, actually we go down to the Browns #65 at the Top of Round three and give them #61 from AZ. So more incentive for the Browns and we pick up a very interesting young man and former top ten pick. We also pick up a 5th Rounder which we do not have. More Trade wampum there for BB. Gilbert? think Talib for just one moment.

If you look at Justin Gilbert college career and Combine etc. the kid was a stud. 6' and 202lbs. 4.37 speed with a tough guy attitude. What happened? Who knows. I think his head is swimming.He was a top ten pick. But if you see turmoil in Cleveland maybe the stability of the Pats makes sense. I would give this kid a shot. Could be a steal if you can rehab him. He does not have injuries. You know his problems are mentally immature in nature. If he grows up, you have a player but losing, disarray, Johnny Manziel, an owner who does not know what he is doing, and the other circus events in Cleveland.

Have a guy like Matt Slater become his mentor and show him how to be a pro. Talib was cut from the same cloth. It's like a rerun.

Here are the transcript of the Talib problems:
July 2008: Talib reportedly fights with fellow Bucs draft pick Cory Boyd at the rookie symposium, an event designed to help rookies make a smooth transition into the NFL. It’s unclear who started the fight or what was at issue.

May 2009: Talib strikes teammate Torrie Cox near the eye while wielding his helmet in an altercation with offensive tackle Donald Penn. Cox was attempting to be a peacemaker between the two when he was inadvertently hit by Talib. Cox required multiple stitches.
Asked about controlling his temper, Talib said, "I've definitely got to work on it. It's a family though. When you're out here with your brothers. . . I mean, you fight. It comes with being a family. We're all brothers out here. Me and Donald, we're perfectly fine today. It's behind us.”

August 2009: Talib is arrested in St. Petersburg for simple battery and resisting arrest for assaulting a cab driver from the back seat of the taxi. Talib later agrees to a pre-trial program with prosecutors and reaches an undisclosed financial settlement with the driver. The NFL hands down a 1-game suspension in 2010 for violating the personal-conduct policy.

November 2010: After a costly penalty in a close loss to the Ravens, Talib engages in a fierce argument with a game official and has to be restrained outside the team’s locker room. The official also responded with expletives. Then-coach Raheem Morris defended Talib, saying he didn’t do anything wrong.

March 2011: Talib and his mother, Okolo, are charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after an altercation with the live-in boyfriend of Talib’s sister. Talib is accused of firing shots during an argument on a residential street. The charges are later dropped, according to Talib’s attorney, because the prosecution’s witness was not credible.

October 2012: Talib is suspended for four games by the NFL for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. Talib, in a statement, says he took a single Adderall pill without a prescription. The drug is considered a banned substance under the league’s PED policy.

I think Talib has grown and is was BB and the Pats that straightened him out.

But when he was traded to the New England Patriots during his suspension, all of that changed. And Talib said that’s because of the way the franchise operates.

“One thing I have to say about that establishment over there: They’re very professional,” Talib told ESPN.com’s Rich Cimini recently. “You go there for one season and your professionalism will go up a plus-2. If you’re at seven, you’ll be a nine.

“That definitely helped my professionalism as far as preparation for the game, how to handle the media, my behavior on the field — everything. I really learned how to be a professional over there. I went there a seven and came out a nine. I’m working on being a 10.”

Can BB do this with Gilbert?

I think it is worth a shot. Talib had more issues.We are going to lose some or all of those three perhaps.
DW Toys

Last edited:

And this trade raises that count to 27. . . .

Yeah, you're right. Someone out there is now thinking, "Hey, we can get him for less now!"

Yep.

Just think they could get Justin Blackmon for a conditional fourth now. And if he misses another two years of football they could get him for almost nothing

The dumpster fire is in Cleveland not New England.

The pure fact is Gordon is an amazing talent who has urinated on his brand new shoes in the toilet. He had a chance for salvation from the lord of the NFL and he was too stupid to say no to drugs? Wait until you retire at 34 or so, then go find a farm in Colorado to buy with Ricky Williams. Then you can blaze away (that the word?) until your rippa/wrappa falls off. How can he even remotely be smart enough to pick up our playbook?

How can the loss of almost $4mm dollars in possible revenue for you and your family be worth less than to blunt away (literally up in smoke). I want the stonners to now respond as to how smoking dope is not addicting........right on brother!

DW Toys

The pure fact is Gordon is an amazing talent who has urinated on his brand new shoes in the toilet. He had a chance for salvation from the lord of the NFL and he was too stupid to say no to drugs? Wait until you retire at 34 or so, then go find a farm in Colorado to buy with Ricky Williams. Then you can blaze away (that the word?) until your rippa/wrappa falls off. How can he even remotely be smart enough to pick up our playbook?

How can the loss of almost $4mm dollars in possible revenue for you and your family be worth less than to blunt away (literally up in smoke). I want the stonners to now respond as to how smoking dope is not addicting........right on brother!

DW Toys

I have been smoking daily for years so I can tell you first hand that it's not addictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back