PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shula: "What's (Bill) Belichick got?" About a hundred?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
staugustine.com: the oldest city's home on the Net
There is also the career victories record of 347 to offset any regrets. That record will be Shula's for all-time because no modern-era coach will manage the longevity required, beyond the excellence. As an example: "What's (Bill) Belichick got?" says Shula, jabbing a soft needle at the Patriots' coach. "About a hundred?"
a little surprising he is taking a jab considering how much BB respects shula

Maybe he is saying BB is presently the best.

Re: Shula :"What's (Bill) Belichick got?" About a hundred?"

Belichick, for all his excellence, has 138 wins. It's not as if Shula wasn't making a valid observation about the need for staying power.

calm down on the insults and vulgar towards shula. it was a good spirited joke. lighten up fellas.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Yep. I don't appreciate the annual Mercury Morris jabs but anything from Shula can be taken as nothing but complimentary or innocuous.

Last edited:

Belichick, for all his excellence, has 138 wins. It's not as if Shula wasn't making a valid observation about the need for staying power.

Shula will be appreciated for his longevity and the perfect season (which will be a footnote after this season), but he is not a football mind in the mold of Lombardi and Belichick.

RINGS

The only number that matters is the number of rings.

Last edited:
RINGS

The only number that matters is the number of rings.
Funny, when I saw the title of the thread that (rings) is what I thought Shula was talking about.

So, BB needs 210 regular season victories to surpass Shula.. That's another 21 years as the HC with an average of 10 wins a year. Or 19 years at 11.3 wins a year...

Its unlikely that Belichick will get to that.. However, I think Belichick will surpass Shula's post season wins record..

Re: Shula :"What's (Bill) Belichick got?" About a hundred ?"

Maybe it was a good spirited joke. Or maybe Shula's an old senile douche-bag. Or a little of both.

I vote for the latter. This isn't the first time, either, IIRC.

Hey Shula, how many rings do you have? About two?

Upping to 18 games seasons will likely mean no one will ever match the '72 Fish; however, it also means a next generation coach will probably eventually beat Shula's record. Esp. with how young some of these coaches are.

Yeah, but how many Super Bowl rings does Shula have? Not as many as Bill.

When it counts the most, Belichick has more wins.

It was just a joke, no doubt. But, he is a douche. BB will never get the wins it would take to surpass that total. For all his douche-ness, he DOES have the wins to back up the talk.

I wonder if post-NFL coach BB will open up cans of stories and ripdowns when in retirement. I'd love to listen. "Can you believe I took that ragtag team with a backup QB and won the whole thing ???"

ONOS MOOR BULLETIN BORD MATERIALZ!!! :rolleyes:

Shula's got a point. However, he should be pretty embarassed that BB got more rings in four years than Shula did in his entire career.

First of all, let's not mix apples and oranges. Shula's 347 includes 19 Playoff wins. The 138 wins to which you refer for BB does not include his 15 Playoff wins to date, so the comparable number for Coach is 153. A nit, maybe.

But, let's look at the wins of the 15 Modern era HC's in Canton and let's just look at the regular season. The post season won't make a material difference to the number of wins and the win pctg.; in addition, the data, which are already problematic because of the expanded schedules played by recent members, would be skewed even further by the different contemporary playoff formats. (Canton defines a modern era player as one who played the majority of his career after 1946. I didn't make it up.)

The 15 Coaches have a median number of regular season wins of 131 (Average 149.4). The median win percentage is 0.609, the average is 0.604. Shula's win percentage was 0.678; Belichick's is 0.616 (0.708 with the Pats and 0.450 with Cleveland).

Here are the wins, the win percentages and the number of League Championships for the 15 Modern Era HC's in Canton:

Allen: 116, .690, 0
Brown: 166, .610, 3
Ewbank: 130, .489 (includes 7 ties, his w/l/t is 130/129/7), 3
Gibbs: 154, .621 (he had 124 wins when he was admitted to Canton), 3
Gillman: 122, .535, 1
Grant: 158, .610, 0
Landry: 250, .598, 2
Levy: 143, .561, 0
Lombardi: 96, .706, 5
Madden: 103, .763, 1
Neale: 73. .589, 2 (half in and half out of the modern era)
Noll: 193, .566, 4
Shula: 328, .678, 2
Stram: 131, .575, 2
Walsh: 92, .609, 3

Belichick to date for comparison: 138, .616, 3

What do I take from this:
Belichick has already more than met any reasonable criteria for admission;
Landry and Shula are in class of their own. Hats off to both of them; and, they did wear hats.
Madden, with one trip to the Super Bowl, was fortunate to be admitted as a Coach and I have argued that he should have been admitted to the HOF as a Contributor and not as a Coach.

Last edited:
Although Belichick would be as strong a candidate as any, I have to wonder if anyone will break that record. It's hard to imagine anyone staying on as a head coach that long anymore. Even if ownership would let him, I think the job is way too demanding to stay there 20+ years. Bill Cowher had a good thing going in Pitt and even he threw in the towel after winning one big one.

I'm tempted to say too that clubs don't hire head coaches as young as Shula was when he started, but the latest trend proves otherwise.

Funny, I was just thinking to myself that, IIRC, the only guy who had an HC job longer than Shula was Tom Landry - and then I realized both of them were replaced by Jimmy Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick