PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we worry about or regret Kayshon Boutte getting cut?

Not a guy you mentioned was anywhere near the top of Boutte's profile in college. Not close. Absent the ankle injury - just playing as he played his freshman year, we would have had people here screaming for him instead of Gonzo in round 1.

The reason Boutte was a 6th rounder is very different than the reasons for the guys you mention.
Boutte’s profile… what does even mean?

He was taken at the end of the draft, that’s his profile.

Smith Shuster isn't a slot receiver. He's a combo receiver. He'll line up everywhere. Boutte is more than a "possession" receiver. Boutte is NOT making the PS.

Who do you want to cut?

Not a guy you mentioned was anywhere near the top of Boutte's profile in college. Not close. Absent the ankle injury - just playing as he played his freshman year, we would have had people here screaming for him instead of Gonzo in round 1.

The reason Boutte was a 6th rounder is very different than the reasons for the guys you mention.
What about his freshman year would have people screaming for him high in the first? He had one unreal game. Take that one game away and he had 31 catches for 427 yards in the other nine games.

I can see the Patriots using Slater's roster spot the way they used Nick Folk in previous years. They cut him, set the 53, move the injured players to IR and then re-sign him.

A guy like Slater would know what's going on there, as he's seen it play out numerous times over his career. I would think he wants the team to be sucessful, so he probably wants to do this rather than force the team to lose someone like Boutte.

Last edited:
What about his freshman year would have people screaming for him high in the first? He had one unreal game. Take that one game away and he had 31 catches for 427 yards in the other nine games.

He didn’t even get his first start that year until week 5, barley played much the first three games. After week 5 he had 5 100+ yard games in a row including the old miss game, and I believe 4 were against tuff ranked SEC teams. Pretty impressive for a red shirt freshman. Not to mention his QB situation. Anyone with a set of eyes could see the talent he had.

Last edited:
As I see the roster projections from some of the better folks in the media, I think it's unlikely that Boutte will make the roster. No way BB is going to carry 6 WRs plus Slater on the roster. As a 2nd round pick, Thorton is a lock and his speed is still valuable to clear underneath routes (or at least I hope it is).

As fans of this team, most of us are starved for the opportunity to see a rookie WR receiver develop into a stud and why so many are pulling for DD AND Boutte.

Realistically thinking though, should we really worry if he gets cut and makes it onto another squad? We should be able to draft another receiver with similar upside in upcoming drafts, but I think the anxiety comes from how poorly we've drafted at the WR position in the past.
He's not getting cut.

Boutte on the 53 for sure. Cut Malik or even Pierre Strong before this guy. Keep only two TEs.

It’s a shame Matt Slater, who has lost some speed, couldn’t be kept as a coach who happens to suit up.

Just dreaming.

I do not see Belichick picking Thornton over Boutte.

Boutte played at a much higher level in college & has already showed he knows how to find the endzone

Thornton is a guy with blazing speed, poor footwork & lack of strength who struggles to get open.

I have seen a million speedsters do nothing in the NFL, Phillip Dorsett, John Ross, Kevin White, Darrius Heywood-Bey just to name a few

Belichick is not the type of guy to keep a player based on where they are drafted after year one.

He usually goes with who he thinks will help the team most & I don’t see that being Thornton who had yet to demonstrate Tony Simmons type of production
I agree. And I could see Thorton clearing waivers and added to the PS. And if that happened it would be a win/win.

Your first mistake is taking the media as gospel. Look how that’s worked out for our country.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but do you have examples from the past when he's done this? I think the special teams abilities of the WR corps has to come into play as well. Boutte is way down the depth chart as a returner.
2019. Edelman, Dorsett, Gordon Brown, Meyers, Olszewski, Slater.

Demario Douglas and Bourne can both get Special Teams snaps.

I do not see Belichick picking Thornton over Boutte.

Boutte played at a much higher level in college & has already showed he knows how to find the endzone

Thornton is a guy with blazing speed, poor footwork & lack of strength who struggles to get open.

I have seen a million speedsters do nothing in the NFL, Phillip Dorsett, John Ross, Kevin White, Darrius Heywood-Bey just to name a few

Belichick is not the type of guy to keep a player based on where they are drafted after year one.

He usually goes with who he thinks will help the team most & I don’t see that being Thornton who had yet to demonstrate Tony Simmons type of production
Bringing up Simmons is sobering, Bethel Johnson, Brandon Tate kind of guy?

I'd rather see us keep Boutte over Bryant, but FWIW, Andrew Callaghan thinks Bryant is a lock for the reasons you cite above.
As mentioned, Bryant can't handle Man to Man. That's why I think he'll be traded. The Pats defense doesn't play enough to warrant keeping him.

2019. Edelman, Dorsett, Gordon Brown, Meyers, Olszewski, Slater.

Demario Douglas and Bourne can both get Special Teams snaps.
I expect Boutte can get on the field as a returner. He returned kicks in college and they’ve worked him as a returner in preseason.

Boutte was thought to be a 1st Round pick after his Freshman year. Injuries and problems (with Chip Kelly) plummeted his stock. But he didn't suddenly lose those 1st-round traits.

Go look at the "draft profile" between Boutte and Stephon Diggs, the athleticism, in particular. Diggs couldn't make it as an outside receiver, dontchaknow?
The kid has come in and seems to be on the right track. He's making plays, he's causing no trouble (quite the opposite - seems he's determined to erase the reputation that came after his injury). He's admitted that he was checked out, and for a kid to have that awareness and ADMIT his personal failure is pretty impressive.

It's one play in a preseason game, but that slant the other night was exactly the type of play that's been missing in the last couple of years...where Harry or Meyers or some other lumbering guy wouldn't have had enough separation to take it much further. Boutte caught it cleanly and fully, had it secured and was up to full speed the whole way and easily outpaced the pursuit. he wasn't looking to just catch the ball, but to snag it and GO.

I'm sorry, but they'd be nuts to cut him. There are qualities you need to see in a player in any sport that you can't quantify with a number.
He actually DID suddenly lose his 1st-rd traits... that's actually exactly what happened when he badly broke his ankle. I'm rooting for the Pats to keep Boutte because I want to believe in the ceiling too, but I haven't seen/heard his superman power yet. He seems to be decent at finding soft spots in off-coverage and zone, but in press man, he's been invisible. [disclaimer - obviously haven't seen practices with my own eyes, so i'm relying on reports].

Watch him in the Texans game - he only gets open on a few routes against scrubs... i want to believe in him... want him to be a steal. Bracing for him to be cut.

Boutte’s profile… what does even mean?

He was taken at the end of the draft, that’s his profile.
Come on now. You know damn well that's NOT his profile. He's a guy with 1st round talent who had complications with his ankle and with Kelly. But he stuck it out. He's not 2 years post surgery and he looks to be doing very well and rounding back into the form that had him being talking about as top talent.

The 2 games leading up to that final unreal game was 8 rec for 111yds, and 5recs 108yds 1TD, and that's with 2 different starting QBs for LSU (in addition to a third QB to start the season). He then continued it his sophomore year getting 30recs, 436yds, 9TDs in the 5 games before he got injured in the 6th. Extrapolate the 6 games to a full 14 game season (that JChase had), and that's 89recs, 1188yds, 21TDs. Chase only had 23recs, 313yds, 3TDs his frosh year, and that's with Burrow. Can't imagine what Boutte's numbers would be with Joe Burrow at QB.

Come on now. You know damn well that's NOT his profile. He's a guy with 1st round talent who had complications with his ankle and with Kelly. But he stuck it out. He's not 2 years post surgery and he looks to be doing very well and rounding back into the form that had him being talking about as top talent.
Don't forget the... 4 on 1 power play scandal.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back