PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we worry about or regret Kayshon Boutte getting cut?

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As I see the roster projections from some of the better folks in the media, I think it's unlikely that Boutte will make the roster. No way BB is going to carry 6 WRs plus Slater on the roster. As a 2nd round pick, Thorton is a lock and his speed is still valuable to clear underneath routes (or at least I hope it is).

As fans of this team, most of us are starved for the opportunity to see a rookie WR receiver develop into a stud and why so many are pulling for DD AND Boutte.

Realistically thinking though, should we really worry if he gets cut and makes it onto another squad? We should be able to draft another receiver with similar upside in upcoming drafts, but I think the anxiety comes from how poorly we've drafted at the WR position in the past.

As I see the roster projections from some of the better folks in the media, I think it's unlikely that Boutte will make the roster. No way BB is going to carry 6 WRs plus Slater on the roster. As a 2nd round pick, Thorton is a lock and his speed is still valuable to clear underneath routes (or at least I hope it is).

As fans of this team, most of us are starved for the opportunity to see a rookie WR receiver develop into a stud and why so many are pulling for DD AND Boutte.

Realistically thinking though, should we really worry if he gets cut and makes it onto another squad? We should be able to draft another receiver with similar upside in upcoming drafts, but I think the anxiety comes from how poorly we've drafted at the WR position in the past.
Would be a huge mistake to release Boutte he is a ceiling player not a floor guy.
He has upside if he hits his full potential we are looking at a Keenen Allen type of guy.
Floor is Jabar Gaffney, gotta hold on to him.

I like what I’ve seen from Boutte but Giardi quoted a couple scouts yesterday that still don’t think he has the athleticism to be an nfl contributor. It’s hard to tell, obviously his testing numbers were poor, he looked good on that touchdown though. I agree that he is still in danger of getting cut.

I think given the team's draft history at WR they have to keep him and work with him. he has shown he could be a possibility.
I do believe Thornton is safe, and the team could carry 6.
would mean either 2 TE's or 3 RB's with another TE and RB or two on the PS.
if it means Boutte or Harris, I choose Boutte.

Boutte was thought to be a 1st Round pick after his Freshman year. Injuries and problems (with Chip Kelly) plummeted his stock. But he didn't suddenly lose those 1st-round traits.

Go look at the "draft profile" between Boutte and Stephon Diggs, the athleticism, in particular. Diggs couldn't make it as an outside receiver, dontchaknow?
The kid has come in and seems to be on the right track. He's making plays, he's causing no trouble (quite the opposite - seems he's determined to erase the reputation that came after his injury). He's admitted that he was checked out, and for a kid to have that awareness and ADMIT his personal failure is pretty impressive.

It's one play in a preseason game, but that slant the other night was exactly the type of play that's been missing in the last couple of years...where Harry or Meyers or some other lumbering guy wouldn't have had enough separation to take it much further. Boutte caught it cleanly and fully, had it secured and was up to full speed the whole way and easily outpaced the pursuit. he wasn't looking to just catch the ball, but to snag it and GO.

I'm sorry, but they'd be nuts to cut him. There are qualities you need to see in a player in any sport that you can't quantify with a number.

Boutte was thought to be a 1st Round pick after his Freshman year. Injuries and problems (with Chip Kelly) plummeted his stock. But he didn't suddenly lose those 1st-round traits.

Go look at the "draft profile" between Boutte and Stephon Diggs, the athleticism, in particular. Diggs couldn't make it as an outside receiver, dontchaknow?
The kid has come in and seems to be on the right track. He's making plays, he's causing no trouble (quite the opposite - seems he's determined to erase the reputation that came after his injury). He's admitted that he was checked out, and for a kid to have that awareness and ADMIT his personal failure is pretty impressive.

It's one play in a preseason game, but that slant the other night was exactly the type of play that's been missing in the last couple of years...where Harry or Meyers or some other lumbering guy wouldn't have had enough separation to take it much further. Boutte caught it cleanly and fully, had it secured and was up to full speed the whole way and easily outpaced the pursuit. he wasn't looking to just catch the ball, but to snag it and GO.

I'm sorry, but they'd be nuts to cut him. There are qualities you need to see in a player in any sport that you can't quantify with a number.
agree
combine results effect your draft status, but on the field performance gets you on the team
Boutte has passed his on field performance given this is his rookie season.

I posted in another thread but will repeat here, and may get attacked for it

Matthew Slater is a Patriot thru and thru, nothing but love for him, but at 37 years old we need to focus on the future and we can't be cutting some of these young guys who are oozing with potential just to carry a 37 year old special teamer

Whenever I use that roster tool to create a starting lineup, Slater is always an odd duck that makes it difficult because hes not really a wide receiver, but essentially always takes that 6th WR spot every year

We're going to need that extra roster spot for guys like Boutte, or some young guys we drafted along the offensive line, or for one of the young DBs. Slater helps us this year only, these other guys could help us for the next 5-10

Slater has also lost a few steps, you can see in replays etc that he's lost his top gear

Matthew Slater is a Patriot thru and thru, nothing but love for him, but at 37 years old we need to focus on the future and we can't be cutting some of these young guys who are oozing with potential just to carry a 37 year old special teamer

Whenever I use that roster tool to create a starting lineup, Slater is always an odd duck that makes it difficult because hes not really a wide receiver, but essentially always takes that 6th WR spot every year

We're going to need that extra roster spot for guys like Boutte, or some young guys we drafted along the offensive line, or for one of the young DBs. Slater helps us this year only, these other guys could help us for the next 5-10

Slater has also lost a few steps, you can see in replays etc that he's lost his top gear
I still think his leadership is worth keeping him on the roster, especially with the number of young players we now have.

Thinking that BB making comments about Slater's all time legacy now wasn't an accident - maybe it's a tell that this could be the end of the line for him as an active player?

If they made the hard decision to cut him what's stopping the team from hiring him right away as a coach?

I still think his leadership is worth keeping him on the roster, especially with the number of young players we now have.

I agree that this is the year to use the Slater roster spot on a young, hi-po player.
Best thing that could happen is for the Pats to convert his salary to bonus, pay it out, then cut him and have him become a coach. I don't know if that's within the rules.

there are plenty of scenarios where the team can keep 6 WR's and Slater as one of their top ST players.

BB literally begged Slater to come back for one more year for stability and leadership when slater was completely ready to retire. There’s zero chance he’s cutting him now.

I don't, and maybe others shouldn't think of Matthew Slater as a wide receiver. He's not a wide receiver. He's only listed under that position group because some guys just feel the need to organize things in that manner.

He should rightly fully be listed as a special teams player. Right along with the kicker punter and long snapper. Its more descriptive as to his role on this team. There is a value to that role, and there is nothing wrong with describing him that way. I suppose, since its not an "official" position, he gets lumped in under the wr's for whatever reason.

I don't know about you, but when i look at the WR position group i think of it as (in no particular order) Bourne, Thornton, Parker, S-Schuster, Douglas & this year Boutte... Slater never comes to mind...

Thinking that BB making comments about Slater's all time legacy now wasn't an accident - maybe it's a tell that this could be the end of the line for him as an active player?

If they made the hard decision to cut him what's stopping the team from hiring him right away as a coach?
They could hire him as a coach but just because BB makes a comment about him not sure why people are thinking that is a harbinger for his release.

He has spoken of Slater with the highest of compliments for years. Different words don't change that.

What if Slater told BB he’s retiring?
Has he taken any preseason snaps?
Maybe he’s agreed to help the young guys along then bow out or transfer to coaching?

Boutte being cut is not a big deal. I hope that statement does not bite me in the arse

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back