PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats have drafted DK Metcalf instead of N'Keal Harry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Bengals_Seahawks_Football.JPG_phshkdh.jpg

vs

b4aqTXy.jpg

I know the Patriots draft history for receivers has been shoddy. Harry was supposed to reverse that trend. Instead he has had a poor start by hurting himself in preseason and going directly to IR.

Meanwhile DK Metcalf has caught 23 passes for 402 yards and 4 TDs through 8 games in his rookie season. Notable that the Patriots traded the 2nd rounder that turned into Metcalf to the Seahawks.
Pats received #77 DE Chase Winovich and #118 G Hjalte Froholdt (IR).

Winovich looks like a keeper but Froholdt went to IR and Harry to IR as well. Could the Pats have had a better alternative choice in the 1st round or traded down from #32, and still taken Metcalf and Winovich?

Metcalf had one of the most dominant combine performances and his NFL performance for a rookie certainly looks desirable compared to what we have been putting out onto the field.

Last edited:
Bengals_Seahawks_Football.JPG_phshkdh.jpg

vs

AP19221031949546.jpg

I know the Patriots draft history for receivers has been shoddy. Harry was supposed to reverse that trend. Instead he has had a poor start by hurting himself in preseason and going directly to IR.

Meanwhile DK Metcalf has caught 23 passes for 402 yards and 4 TDs through 8 games in his rookie season. Notable that the Patriots traded the 2nd rounder that turned into Metcalf to the Seahawks.
Pats received #77 DE Chase Winovich and #118 G Hjalte Froholdt (IR).

Winovich looks like a keeper but Froholdt went to IR and Harry to IR as well. Could the Pats have had a better alternative choice in the 1st round or traded down from #32, and still taken Metcalf and Winovich?

Metcalf had one of the most dominant combine performances and his NFL performance for a rookie certainly looks desirable compared to what we have been putting out onto the field.

That photo is of Meyers.

[EDIT: After a couple of hours, the OP updated the photo...to Josh Gordon. Yikes.]

The Patriots should have drafted all the best players in the draft, and this goes for every year. I’m fuming that they don’t just look at how a player performs in the NFL before making the pick.

Last edited:
Too early to say. I wasn't a fan of N'Keal but let the boy play in the NFL first. Getting hurt in the pre-season isn't something he can control.

Where Metcalf was drafted I would have taken a flyer on him. But his knock was drops and obviously that impacted his selection given how many teams passed on him.

Speculation, consternation and hand wringing, the fodder of Sports Talk Radio.. how does anyone know any of this??

Let you know about Harry in Jan of 2021... let you know about Froholdt then as well.

Should have drafted stud Chubb instead of little Sony.

Absolutely no.

Too early to say, although I am disappointed they drafted Michel over Chubb.
Chubby rushed for 6 yars a carry vs the #1 NFL defense.

Too early to say. I wasn't a fan of N'Keal but let the boy play in the NFL first. Getting hurt in the pre-season isn't something he can control.

Hart Lee Dykes. He should’ve gotten a chance.
We won’t make the same mistake with Nickie.
:rolleyes:

Chubby rushed for 6 yars a carry vs the #1 NFL defense.

He fumbled twice in that game, but if I'm reading the stats correctly, those were only his 2nd and third fumbles in his NFL career. He's tough to tackle, is patient in his runs, has burst, and is a decent receiver. He averaged 5.2 ypc last year and is averaging 5.5 this year. How did they miss on him and take Michel?
Nick Chubb Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Last edited:
Too early. Metcalf could flame out and Harry could emerge.

Very different offenses as well.

SEA seems schoolyard-ish

Too early. Metcalf could flame out and Harry could emerge.

Very different offenses as well.

SEA seems schoolyard-ish
Yeah, Metcalf should be with “Go Deep” Flacco in Denver.

The Harry injury is just really bad luck, in my opinion. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he would be producing same if not better than Metcalf.

Too early to say, although I am disappointed they drafted Michel over Chubb.

Should have drafted stud Chubb instead of little Sony.

If you wrote this after Chubb was chosen at 34, and show us your prior post, these posts are totally legit. If not, you are trying to look smart when you already have the answers to the test questions.

Sony was clearly the better back in 2017 at Georgia. Chubb has clearly been the better pro so far. I’m still waiting to see the Sony who flashed early in the preseason. In my opinion, the struggles of both the running game and the passing game can be traced mainly to inconsistent OL play.

As for the original post, it is WAY to early to make a statement like this. Metcalf has made an impact but let’s give Harry a chance to show what he can do. He was far and away a better player than Metcalf in college and I am confident that you will be the better pro as This question will be valid after the completion of the 2020 season.

At that point, I wouldn’t be surprised if we would choose both Harry AND Myers over Metcalf, given the style of offense that the Patriots run. Great value for the Seahawks, however.

DK Metcalf look good on paper and a better athlete than Harry. But Harry is better football player (better blocker, better routes runner and better hand).

He fumbled twice in that game, but if I'm reading the stats correctly, those were only his 2nd and third fumbles in his NFL career. He's tough to tackle, is patient in his runs, has burst, and is a decent receiver. He averaged 5.2 ypc last year and is averaging 5.5 this year. How did they miss on him and take Michel?
Nick Chubb Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Chubby can score from anywhere on the field. His longest run is 80 yards.

Their bios say that Sony and Chubby are both 5' - 11". I must need a new TV because Sony looks small.

Metcalf is a beast but, word on him was he wasn’t a good route runner. May play great in Seattle but, doesn’t mean he could learn the Patriots offense.

Let’s let Harry play a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents